HH + Tele Controls = What Wiring Combo?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ktdcpa, Sep 7, 2019.

1. ktdcpa

ktdcpa TDPRI Member

I'm building an HH Tele and trying to settle on the wiring scheme. I'd appreciate your insight and welcome your suggestions.

Currently Im thinking about adding two push pulls, however I haven't decided on their function yet. Im not sure it I want them to split (parallel) the pickups individually, or should I have one be a master split and the other be a master parallel?

Which would you choose and why? For what it's worth the pickups are a set of Seymour Duncan Jazz/JBs. Also, I'm a home player and will never gig so I'm not worried about push pulls...in fact, I really like them. Please let me know what you would do. Thanks for your time and I hope all is well!

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't have a clue what you might like - I don't think a Duncan Jazz would sound very good split though. Check out the crazy switches they have at Stew Mac, though. Some interesting combos available, and they seem easy to wire. I'm considering trying one out myself.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Look up the 'guitarnuts2 forum wiring diagrams' page and you'll find a lot of options for HH. There is one scheme that is over 400 switching combinations.

Two paths I tend to do on HH:
    -Converted my HH Blacktop Tele to Esquire H and run both bobbins through a 4-way switch 'neck'/parallel/'bridge/series humbucker. The pickup is lowered and the screw poles raised for more separation.
    -Lower the neck pickup, raise the screw poles in a Strat stagger and the bridge height set to balance volume. Cleaner neck tones, still a strong humbucker for distortion.

You can also use a Strat 5-way switch and wire the two neck pickup bobbins as single coils treating the guitar like an HSS with the #2 position the bridge split to the 'middle' single coil (look for the MIM/MIA HSS Strat wiring diagram on how to do this).

Look up the Ibanez RG series HH switching scheme too, but it may need a special Ibanez 5-way switch.

If you want to go a little wild, look up the Jimmy Page wiring scheme using four push/pull pots for 21 different tones.

Do a lot of experimentation, find the tones you like, and figure out how to simplify the switching to get those tones so you eventually end up with a guitar you can remember which tone is where ;)

4. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

You might consider Triple Shot rings which are elegant and easy to use. You also don't have to decide on just a few options.

5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What I did with my build is one knob is parallel and one knob is out of phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

What music do you play?

I used to try all those crazy options. Then, I realized... they really don't make much difference when you play or record, nor will your audience care. So, I just let a humbucker be a humbucker. I have split options on some of my guitars, but I don't really use 'em. But on my PRS HH, I like the middle position on split both humbuckers. I play metal, so I have no need of the tone control. So, my tone pot has a no load option.

If it was me, for an HH, I would have a 3 way toggle with a push pull to split both HH. If possible, I will have a no-load tone pot too.

Good luck!

7. ktdcpa

ktdcpa TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot of homework to do. To be completely honest, my ear isn't that good. I can hear the difference between split coil and parallel, but it's not a material difference to me. I want some tonal variation from the series humbucker, but it's probably half one six dozen of another for a guy like me.

I've looked at the Triple Shots, and think they're great. However the guitar I'm building has a vintage vibe so as stupid as it is the slider switches would bug me. I like the idea of a push/pull or push/push so I can have a bit of modern flair tucked away in the vintage package.

I'm a home player, but my 4 kids graciously allow me to sit in with their band occasionally :). My three oldest daughters are absolute rockstars, my youngest daughter (9) is the best drummer I've ever played with. My son rounds out the group and together we play modern pop to classic rock. I just took them to see the Stones...as a dad I got to say it was a top 10 moment for sure!

littlebadboy likes this.
  8. gabrius

gabrius TDPRI Member

Have a look at the Freeway Blade Switch, in particular the model 3B3 (from their site you can download a pdf with the wiring infos).
    With it you can easily have humbucker splitting or phase/series combination keeping the classic tele switch look. And if you want you can still use a push/pull pot to select different caps

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.