Hey old timers...how'd this email work?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I've always wondered this, maybe someone knows. Behind the Edge about 1:01 in the video is a case that has a bunch of phone numbers and at the bottom says what looks like "E MAIL U2-U2". How'd this work? It's not the email of today ("u2@domain.ie", etc), maybe some propriety system? Anyone know?

Slim60 likes this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe for a closed system - on VMS and Linux (and other) systems, I could send team-mates Email by just typing their username in the "To" address, but ONLY if the users are only logging on to and working from a single server and you are not routing Email. Internet routable Email has to be user@domain.

3. Flat6Driver

Thanks. So what kind of closed system would the entertainment world have back in 1988 for an international touring band? Doesn't make sense as I see it as I thought everyone was sort of an independent contractor (venues, etc.) Maybe more of a novelty/brag to have that on there back then?

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

It could just be a note to roadies like "if the stuff that goes in this case is missing, use our internal Email to notify U2" or something like that.

Or it could just be letters that means one thing to the band and something else to us.

Or a brag. Who knows.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  5. KWal

KWal TDPRI Member

It's code for "Bono is an egotistical pompous arse."

I blame DARPA and tin foil hats.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

As I remember it back in the day, small business names were used just after the "@" and referred to as "domain", so for example "(your name)@(your business)" was a common email address. So perhaps this was just a note for everyone in the band to refer to.

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Before the internet as "we know it" you dialed into a system before sending info.
    One of the numbers prior to the email may have been a direct line to the server... (eg: ala the movie "War Games")

Make the connection with that server (eg: have your computer phone that computer)
    Send an email
    No routing required because it's a direct connection.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  8. Flat6Driver

Right, like AOL. Forgot all about that.

Did you all like how Edge hits a bung note right there and they left it?

Matthias likes this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

its a tag if the case becomes lost through the airport they are to contact U2 ; bussiness office to notify

I remember a story about keith Emersons moog in road cases ) being left in an airline container and then the container was placed into storage for some time ( I couldnt find any info on this though ) I remember because at the time I was working for Air Canada and I found a fairlight in storage there , that was in Vancouver for about amonth before claimed, and I thought of the paralells .

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I was going to say, could be an AOL keyword.

11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Or Prodigy.... Or what was the one that started with an "M"? I think earlier than AOL...

Matthias likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.