Hey hikers and campers I need peel & eat suggestions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, May 31, 2021.

1. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

2. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

Man those first two lines.Thats a good country song right thah! OK Im Done!

3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Solid advice here. You really can do fine without hot food in the warmer weather using nonperishable items. Cheese and summer (hence the name) sausages pack a lot of protein, and while the bagel suggestion is a good one, any crusty bread will do. Lets you leave the cookstove and pots at home, too; an alcohol storm stove and a metal cup can pinch hit for cocoa, tea, etc if you need a warmup. Be sure to pack along something for firestarting anyway. Makes me want to get out on a backcountry trip!

Manual Slim and cat dude like this.
  4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Serving size: 2 cookies. :lol:

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I did a bunch of multi-day fastpacking and ultra running. Plenty of good ideas above. You really want high calorie, low sugar foods for endurance, so nuts like almonds are excellent. Be careful of high sugar energy bars. The ones with less sugar will be better for you in the long run, so that you don't hit those sugar lows. Also try to stay away from dried fruit, since it is basically in a high sugar state after drying. Even though bagels have a high glycemic index, I found them to be very filling, lightweight and easily digested.
    Have fun on your adventure. Make sure someone knows where you are going and when you plan to come out. Take a first aid kit and some sort of compression wrap.
    Enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Willie Johnson and DrPepper like this.
  6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Depending on how far you are actually going, I’ve used MREs in the past. Most of them you can eat cold, and they are decent tasting. Plenty of calories, and relatively balanced. The Crackers and PBJ portions will stick to the roof of your mouth for miles, though…LOL. And they are a bit on the expensive side. OTOH, I’ve yet to have one that was awful (on the trail…never tried one at home; on the trail almost everything tastes better). And they last quite a while (for the ones you don’t use right away).

I’m talking about the actual military MREs. Haven’t tried the MREs marketed as “civilian”.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Trail mix.

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Yes, lots of great suggestions. But, calorie wise, I need to keep it under 2000 per day given my level of physical activity. I will just be setting around playing guitar taking in the views. Another issue I have is what foods I can chew. (other health issues have taken their toll on my teeth... dentures are in my future)

From the above and inspired from I think I can come up with enough stuff to eat while camping... I do want to have some green chili in NM and chicken fried steak at Skeets in Merkel, TX.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Lots of solid advice. I too am going camping with one of my kids this weekend, but we will do some cooking.

The one cautionary tale is not to rely too heavily on nuts for too many days. And if you do, stay well hydrated and bring some prunes, if you know what I mean.

In regards to peanut butter, I often bring the single use packs rather than bringing an entire jar.

Willie Johnson likes this.
  10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Mix peanut butter, powdered sugar, and honey. Roll it in a tortilla. Wrap it in foil. 1,000 calories a pop. Great when packing light!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.