Hey guys! New girl in town.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Hello @Baby Blues, welcome to the forum.
Happy Birthday and many more for you.
Once you get used to this group of people, you'll get over being an introvert.
Ehh I’m a online extrovert. I’m fine here. Or with small groups of people I know. That’s my issue too. I used to play live, years ago. I miss it.

But I played drop tuned metal. 2 fingers and enough distortion to mask any sloppy playing. Moving and changing styles to more southern rock/alternative country. These local guys are amazing. So between being an introvert, and greatly intimidated by their playing. I get cold feet trying to find a group

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Oh my goodness! What a warm welcome, thank you!

So I have been singing seriously, but alone, as I said. Just, in the car, in the kitchen, etc, but with purpose, always trying to improve, always trying to meld with it, sometimes succeeding.

One of my first memories is singing in a choir at church as a little girl, three years old, four tops. I didn't last long. I quickly bored of what they wanted to sing and went off singing my own melodies instead... In the middle of a church recital... Apparently it was embarrassing. I wasn't welcomed back. I was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school. Ha.

I've developed some skill and style since then. @Swirling Snow thinks I'm good. :)

I've had an interest in playing guitar since I was about six, and collected interests in other instruments over the years after that. But again, no opportunities to even touch anything.

A few years ago, I inherited an upright piano. I love how it sounds, and I try sometimes to learn, but it doesn't come naturally, and the piano itself needs some cleaning and restoring and a tuning to really work with me.

I got the Taylor last year shortly after my birthday. Fell head over heels in love with it from the first note.

I got the Melody Maker around Xmas last year, and we got the Swart around the same time. Again with the Melody Maker, I just melt at how it sounds.

I'm having some trouble shifting my priorities, not in my head, but in my schedule. Life being what it is, I did really well over the winter, getting at least a little practice most days, but then spring came. I'm starting all this in the middle of a multi-year gardening project involving multiple parts of my yard.

What progress I'd made towards calluses has been lost, and I haven't retained as much as I'd like. But autumn is coming now. That's part of joining the forum, I figure if I'm socializing on topic, it'll translate into more practice. Help me hold myself more accountable.

Goals - I do definitely want to record, I do want to play out, to do festivals, I think I'd be happy doing bars. I really want a group of other blues guys I can jam with at least a few nights a week. I'd love to do this "for a living", I don't even care if I'm making negative money doing it.

Primarily I'm a singer. But I LOVE instruments. I love the way instruments feel. The way they vibrate, the way the air around them moves, it's very tactile. I love to just make noise with them. Maybe music will come.

So right now I'm working on learning the guitar, yes.

I'm particularly fond of classic rock and blues. I've been deeply appreciative of Pink Floyd for the majority of my life. (David Gilmour is incredible, my favorite guitarist.) But, oh like five or six years ago, Snow turned me on to Jeff Beck, and while listening to Spotify one day, driving to town, I stumbled across a song he played in with Keith Richards, who I also love, and some guy named Buddy Guy.

Yeah... That was it for me. I have been a blues girl from that moment on. I'd found my home. So, down the rabbit hole I went. And honestly I have no idea how it took until then to discover the blues, I have had SO MANY near misses over the years.

About 2.5 years ago or so, I stumbled across Robert Johnson. I heard "They're Red Hot" and was intrigued, so I looked for more. I've been bit, and well... Once again, that was sort of that.

So anyway, I set out to learn to play like Robert Johnson, but the garden got in the way, and now I'm trying again.

There were other questions, I'll try to get to them tomorrow. It's late and I'm pretty tired just now. Thank you all again for such a wonderful, warm welcome!
A little story for shy singers...
I worked for a couple of years in the darkroom of a photographer friend - I developed and printed all the b+w films and photos for local models, actors and musicians who needed index-cards to leave with prospective employers, clients etc...
One of those artists was Anna-Marie. She was studying at the Royal Northern College of Music - she wanted to be an opera singer.
She was a lovely person, and one day confided in us that she liked the acoustics of the studio and asked if she could sing in it to hear how it sounded. Of course we said yes, and waited... however she was to shy to sing in front of us, so we all had to walk out into the corridor and shut the door to give her some privacy, and she sang on her own, to her self, for several minutes...
I kept in touch with her for several years, but lost touch when she went to live in France - she had been accepted by the prestigious Paris Conservatoire and was making a living as a mezzo soprano..

Baby Blues

TDPRI Member
I want to thank you all again, this morning. I've never felt so welcome and accepted before. I am really loving the feel of the place and the way everyone treats each other here.

I'm laughing a lot. I can already see I'll be learning a lot. There's so much knowledge here, so much cumulative experience, and you're all so encouraging and supportive, cheering each other on and giving helpful knowledge freely.

I'm seriously appreciating the stories. The shared experiences intended to ease my apprehensions. This is very valuable to me, and really does make me feel better.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Happy birthday, BB —

and welcome home! I'm another introvert, and this is the only social media I do. No need for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, or anything else when you have TDPRI.

Got gas in Rugby once. Hopelessly flat country, but North Dakotans reminded me of Mainers, in a good way.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Welcome! You will love this forum.
I am feeling a little bit older now. Your post reminds me I finally started to take music and guitar seriously when I turned 34.
That was 33 years ago yesterday.
Ditto! I've been playing since I was sixteen, but I didn't start playing in front of people till I was about 35 — also about 35 years ago.