Hey guys! New girl in town.

Big Monz

Tele-Meister
Hello from NashVegas! This forum is a very cool place with some very cool folks. All guitars and all music all the time. What could be better? Welcome!

Baby Blues

TDPRI Member
Oh my goodness! What a warm welcome, thank you!

So I have been singing seriously, but alone, as I said. Just, in the car, in the kitchen, etc, but with purpose, always trying to improve, always trying to meld with it, sometimes succeeding.

One of my first memories is singing in a choir at church as a little girl, three years old, four tops. I didn't last long. I quickly bored of what they wanted to sing and went off singing my own melodies instead... In the middle of a church recital... Apparently it was embarrassing. I wasn't welcomed back. I was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school. Ha.

I've developed some skill and style since then. @Swirling Snow thinks I'm good. :)

I've had an interest in playing guitar since I was about six, and collected interests in other instruments over the years after that. But again, no opportunities to even touch anything.

A few years ago, I inherited an upright piano. I love how it sounds, and I try sometimes to learn, but it doesn't come naturally, and the piano itself needs some cleaning and restoring and a tuning to really work with me.

I got the Taylor last year shortly after my birthday. Fell head over heels in love with it from the first note.

I got the Melody Maker around Xmas last year, and we got the Swart around the same time. Again with the Melody Maker, I just melt at how it sounds.

I'm having some trouble shifting my priorities, not in my head, but in my schedule. Life being what it is, I did really well over the winter, getting at least a little practice most days, but then spring came. I'm starting all this in the middle of a multi-year gardening project involving multiple parts of my yard.

What progress I'd made towards calluses has been lost, and I haven't retained as much as I'd like. But autumn is coming now. That's part of joining the forum, I figure if I'm socializing on topic, it'll translate into more practice. Help me hold myself more accountable.

Goals - I do definitely want to record, I do want to play out, to do festivals, I think I'd be happy doing bars. I really want a group of other blues guys I can jam with at least a few nights a week. I'd love to do this "for a living", I don't even care if I'm making negative money doing it.

Primarily I'm a singer. But I LOVE instruments. I love the way instruments feel. The way they vibrate, the way the air around them moves, it's very tactile. I love to just make noise with them. Maybe music will come.

So right now I'm working on learning the guitar, yes.

I'm particularly fond of classic rock and blues. I've been deeply appreciative of Pink Floyd for the majority of my life. (David Gilmour is incredible, my favorite guitarist.) But, oh like five or six years ago, Snow turned me on to Jeff Beck, and while listening to Spotify one day, driving to town, I stumbled across a song he played in with Keith Richards, who I also love, and some guy named Buddy Guy.

Yeah... That was it for me. I have been a blues girl from that moment on. I'd found my home. So, down the rabbit hole I went. And honestly I have no idea how it took until then to discover the blues, I have had SO MANY near misses over the years.

About 2.5 years ago or so, I stumbled across Robert Johnson. I heard "They're Red Hot" and was intrigued, so I looked for more. I've been bit, and well... Once again, that was sort of that.

So anyway, I set out to learn to play like Robert Johnson, but the garden got in the way, and now I'm trying again.

There were other questions, I'll try to get to them tomorrow. It's late and I'm pretty tired just now. Thank you all again for such a wonderful, warm welcome!

Teletubbie

Tele-Meister
Happy belated birthday, did I miss the cake?
Welcome to the forum, lots of good people here.
Ask anything you like about anything and you will get loads of good advice.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Welcome to your 35th year and the TDPRI!
Voice was my first instrument and kalimba was my second, though trying to use it for melody was a dead end then for rhythm seemed better but took 40 years and an old African kalimba to grok.

I see you have sheet music there, are you also learning to write music?
(I never learned)

Anyhow, I think you really really need to write some music on your cat.
I mean look at that perfect white canvas just begging for notes!

Notably the world needs music too and music is kind of a birthright at any skills level.
Gaining skills is of course invaluable but the greater good comes from the soul, which is perfect even as a beginner or intermediate.

My path on guitar started in kitchens where Maine winters most folks got out guitars and sang songs round the woodstove.
So I had roughly zero skills when first playing with others.
For artist heroes I dug into Rev Gary Davis introduced by Jorma, really similar roots music to Robert Johnson who I also picked stuff up from.
Roots are good for growing and gardens calling can fit too because in the garden sings the birds whose souls are even more pure than us advanced intelligences!

Which brings me to what I suggest is the greatest skill a musician needs:

LISTENING!

Baby Blues

TDPRI Member
Welcome to your 35th year and the TDPRI!
Voice was my first instrument and kalimba was my second, though trying to use it for melody was a dead end then for rhythm seemed better but took 40 years and an old African kalimba to grok.

I see you have sheet music there, are you also learning to write music?
(I never learned)

Anyhow, I think you really really need to write some music on your cat.
I mean look at that perfect white canvas just begging for notes!

Notably the world needs music too and music is kind of a birthright at any skills level.
Gaining skills is of course invaluable but the greater good comes from the soul, which is perfect even as a beginner or intermediate.

My path on guitar started in kitchens where Maine winters most folks got out guitars and sang songs round the woodstove.
So I had roughly zero skills when first playing with others.
For artist heroes I dug into Rev Gary Davis introduced by Jorma, really similar roots music to Robert Johnson who I also picked stuff up from.
Roots are good for growing and gardens calling can fit too because in the garden sings the birds whose souls are even more pure than us advanced intelligences!

Which brings me to what I suggest is the greatest skill a musician needs:

LISTENING!
I very much agree! With all of this, and especially the end.

As an aside, I LOVE Maine. We would be living there if the housing market hadn't gone insane, we were house hunting several years ago. I DREAM of singing and playing guitar late into the evening with people I care for, off in the Maine woods, near thecomforting warmth of the kitchen woodstove. That's my personal idea of paradise.

So the sheet music is the Hal Leonard Robert Johnson Tab book. I can't read music. (I have tried so many techniques, something isn't clicking.) But neither can loads of amazing musicians. I can't read tab either, yet, but if I focus hard enough I can at least find the notes. I feel like I'll get there. :)

I have a guitar tab journal I'm writing in (just my own simplified version of tab, just to get me started) when I come up with little melodies I like, one or two attempts at composing, and to write down looping intros (how tos found on YouTube) to songs I love. Sort of my attempt at more options for practice fretting, strumming, plucking, etc, than just scales.

Alternate scales, let's say. Because let's face it, new or experienced, scales are kinda boring. I learn by ear, so my theory here is if I just play each note enough times, coming from enough other notes, I'll learn where they all live relative to each other and the neck, and then someday I'll just know where they are, the way I do with my voice?

In the meantime, I'm also doing a lot of intent listening, and watching when available, trying to learn to identify different string sounds so I can begin to decode "how they did that". Even if my fingers can't manage yet, getting my brain around it is a start, and I'm sure my fingers will catch up.

I've got two Rory Block DVDs for how to play like Robert Johnson, but was fighting my kids for time with the DVD player when spring came. 😂

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Oh yes intervals are really the key to every door.
Learned to play before they invented quartz tuners so all we had was the interval, up in the sticks, A440 was for them city slickers!
Actually I did use an A tuning fork but one has to roll with the kitchen and not try to change the room if tuning to them was an option.

Baby Blues

TDPRI Member
Sometimes I can find or make a simple melody on one string, and I'm at the beginning of being able to figure out how to find the same notes on other nearby strings. So I think it's working? :)

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Oh yes intervals are really the key to every door.
Learned to play before they invented quartz tuners so all we had was the interval, up in the sticks, A440 was for them city slickers!
Actually I did use an A tuning fork but one has to roll with the kitchen and not try to change the room if tuning to them was an option.
Dial tone is just about an F...if anybody has a land line anymore...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Dial tone is just about an F...if anybody has a land line anymore...
I swear, there were times I brought a knife to a gunfight (acoustic strung with a .013 set at an electric jam) and tuned up a couple of half steps for more string tension driven volume!
Tuning was seriously all over the map and I have heard of the dial tone trick.
Some say quartz tuners ruined Rock n Roll?
Ah rock isnt the only way to roll, I still might prefer some good ol' Soul...

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Welcome and happy birthday.
For Introverts there is youtube, so many great lessons there that I never watch because I'm already awesome....lolz.:lol:
Seriously though youtube has it all and while I don't do the lessons I jam to backing tracks from youtube every single day.
Enjoy the forum.