Hey guys! New girl in town.

Baby Blues

TDPRI Member
Thank you, everyone! 🥰🤩

I happened to take some pics yesterday! Enjoy!

I just got the Kalimba for my birthday. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_120104.jpg
    IMG_20220813_120104.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220813_123246.jpg
    IMG_20220813_123246.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20220813_114328.jpg
    IMG_20220813_114328.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 108

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Today is my birthday. I turned 34 years old this morning.

Music has always been more than a passion for me, it's the air I breathe, it's my very DNA. But life being what it is, the hand we're dealt and all, I didn't grow up with any sort of support, encouragement, or opportunity. (Actually, there was a lot of active discouragement involved...) So I sang, all by myself.

I've been doing the stay-at-home Mum thing since I was 20, but now I have teenagers. They're starting to look around themselves and develop hobbies. They're at a weird place right now where they still want to connect with me, but they don't want to hang out with me, exactly. I'll be embarrassing soon.

So I'm finally getting a chance to do something, pursue something, for me. And while I have many interests, the one thing I've always wanted more than anything else is to be a musician. Bonus points if either or both of these kids picks up an instrument along the way!

The good news is, my hand has improved. I have an amazing partner now who not only encourages me, but actively indulges me with the stuff and knowledge necessary for me to do exactly what I want! Now I only need to put in the time.

I'm an introvert, and there's not a lot around me in the way of other musicians to talk to, even fewer with overlapping tastes to mine. And I'm finding that not having other musicians to talk to when I'm trying to go this direction in life... Well it sucks! It's isolating and lonely and disorienting.

So my partner pointed me to your door, and here I am now. I'm shy and a bit awkward, my humor is dry, but I'm a cool drink of water if you go with "that was meant to be funny" and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.
Nice to meet you. I’m not sure if you’re trying to learn guitar or not though. If you are, YouTube is great for learning by yourself. If you need recommendations for good YouTube courses/teachers, let us know. Happy birthday. It seems like you partner plays guitar?

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Today is my birthday. I turned 34 years old this morning.

Music has always been more than a passion for me, it's the air I breathe, it's my very DNA. But life being what it is, the hand we're dealt and all, I didn't grow up with any sort of support, encouragement, or opportunity. (Actually, there was a lot of active discouragement involved...) So I sang, all by myself.

I've been doing the stay-at-home Mum thing since I was 20, but now I have teenagers. They're starting to look around themselves and develop hobbies. They're at a weird place right now where they still want to connect with me, but they don't want to hang out with me, exactly. I'll be embarrassing soon.

So I'm finally getting a chance to do something, pursue something, for me. And while I have many interests, the one thing I've always wanted more than anything else is to be a musician. Bonus points if either or both of these kids picks up an instrument along the way!

The good news is, my hand has improved. I have an amazing partner now who not only encourages me, but actively indulges me with the stuff and knowledge necessary for me to do exactly what I want! Now I only need to put in the time.

I'm an introvert, and there's not a lot around me in the way of other musicians to talk to, even fewer with overlapping tastes to mine. And I'm finding that not having other musicians to talk to when I'm trying to go this direction in life... Well it sucks! It's isolating and lonely and disorienting.

So my partner pointed me to your door, and here I am now. I'm shy and a bit awkward, my humor is dry, but I'm a cool drink of water if you go with "that was meant to be funny" and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.
Happy Birthday August 14, 1988. Congrats on making it so far, so well.

Now for the almost as important stuff.....

What do you consider to be your favorite or best genres? favorite artists? songs you most like to cover?
What gear (guitar, pedals, amps, or all acoustic, is there a piano handy, drums near by, etc.etc.?) Be as specific as you like, we can handle it.
Prior knowledge/skills/abilities? Any prior training reading music, school choir or band, or all by ear, self taught, youtube videos, etc?
Are you creative? Do you feel an urge to "make up your own stuff." If I said, "Play something you made up" would you play or would you wait for the next question? (no wrong answers, just getting a read on what you like to pursue)
Do you want to record at all someday? Or do you want to play in front of others eventually? Sit in the corner at the coffee shop and just strum for an hour for a free mocha? Or content to entertain at home?

You are doing well if your kids still like you as teens. They come back around eventually to hanging out, just let them roam and explore for a few years.

Not knowing more about your goals, my best first suggestion is try to play with someone else at least once in a while. And in particular, try to play with someone who has or plays drums and can keep a steady tap or simple beat. Steady is more important than dazzling. (just ask John Paul and George!) If you can't find anyone, at least use a metronome of some kind, even if it is only a flashing light.

I assume you are on guitar. So in my opinion a great guitar set up is absolutely vital. If your guitar hurts your fingers or makes your hand sore (and you already have the prerequisite callouses on your fingertips) then it's time to reevaluate the instrument and how it is set up. Your instrument should help you not fight you. Sometimes it's just new strings, sometimes it's an overhaul. Make it easy and inviting to play.

Tons of stuff on youtube, and a lot of it is actually good. Post here and search youtube. You will always be able to get answers and tips that help.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
These ARE the droids I'm looking for!
Baby Blues pay dues you will.

Dry humor is good, that describes me quite well.
I think you'll understand what I mean when I look at those guitar pictures and I declare with a completely straight face, "That's a nice piece of axe." 🤓

Thank you, Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Last edited:

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Welcome!

And caution. You may take it back up for a few months, your kids will then want to start a band, and then you’ll have no time again as you’ll be the roadie and sound engineer. Spoken from experience going on almost 4 years from when I picked up the mandolin. My mandolin is hanging on the wall collecting dust, but I wouldn’t change it for a minute.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Welcome! There are all types here and good discussions on guitars, building guitars, playing guitars, playing out, and some theory. Check out the backing track 'challenges' in the Twanger Central forum, too.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
Welcome to the forum

I relate to the growing up with no support for my musical inclinations and indeed pushback. But then they (my parents) didn't support my desire to be a trades person, either and pushed me towards AP courses and college, neither of which I was interested in. Now I'm an old coot, no job but I still play ... sort of. I've been on a slack phase lately although I actually picked up a guitar last night for the first time in over a month.

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Welcome and HB! Your partner did the right thing directing you here. We'll thank him with a case of beer to ease the pain cos we ain't gonna give you back anytime soon ;) ;) ;)

Have a great time here - lots of tips and fun discussions.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Welcome and happy birthday! Some sweet guitars (and slides) you have there.
Finding other musicians isn't always easy, and you may not be 'on the same page' musically or even on a personal level. But I suggest exhausting every avenue you can til you find the right fit. Lessons, jams, hang out at the guitar store, play in a church, whatever you can.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Today is my birthday. I turned 34 years old this morning. Music has always been more than a passion for me, it's the air I breathe, it's my very DNA.

Welcome to the Crazy House.

Playing guitar is a whole lot of fun. It can also become an incurable disease that forces a person to behave in odd ways and unnecessarily spend money on 'shortcuts' instead of practicing--which is the best thing one can do to improve their tone.

Goodfellas-Overdrive.jpg

Happy birthday!