1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hey Fuzzy! 1968 Maplecap

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by clearfish, Jun 13, 2006.

1. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

2. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

<li>Ya but !!!
    <li>How wood yew or me or any won else noe it er knott?
    <li>WOW! sum pee-poles kids!!
    (12th fret marker dots look rite at least)

0le FUZZY

3. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

I bought it in 1983--in pieces with no finish on it. It was a music store trade in. They let me take home for a test drive--you could see the flame in the grain even with no finish--I threw some strings on it and played it that night. Went back and paid for it the next day.
    I had it refretted, refinished and installed EMG pickups to balance the sound with my other stage guitar. (a Strat) It quickly became the "goto" guitar. It plays in tune and stays in tune.

Serial number is 231497. It came with replacement tuners, saddles and bridgeplate, but I still have the original pickguard, pickups and tone and volume pots.
    (Nice thing about EMG, they throw in the controls for their pickups)

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's kind of an odd saddle/bridge plate arrangement. Looks good ........... I like orange guitars.

5. El Capitan

El Capitan Tele-Holic

I want

more pictures please.

Pretty please? :lol:

6. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

Re: I want

Done.

7. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Are you sure it's a cap? Flamed ash is very rare, but does exist. Maybe that's what we're looking at.

8. thebisch

thebisch TDPRI Member

I think he is refering to the neck. In '68 a maple board was a maple cap with no skunk stripe.

9. Southpaw433

Southpaw433 Tele-Meister

More pictures would be nice ;)

If it is really a 68, maybe it's just me, - but I'd have a period correct bridge, pups, and refinish.

10. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

Yes it really is a 68 and I still have the original pickups, pickguard and pots. It already had the bridge (possible a Schector product) and Schaller tuners when I bought it in 1983. Before the current madness on "vintage" guitars.
    I plan on building a Tele to gig with and using the EMGs in the 68, so you might get your wish!

As far as the finish--it was stripped when I bought it, but originally butterscotch from what I could tell--the amber nitro really brought out the flame in the ash body. I think nitro was still in use in 68 so if it had a clear finish originally, it probably would look pretty much like it does now.

I posted some more pics in the Vintage gallery.

11. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

My mistake. I saw the flame on the body and immediately thought that he was claiming the body was maple capped.

12. JoeyV

JoeyV Tele-Afflicted

My 68

Hi,
    My 68 had the same aftermarket bridge when I got mine...I was able to get the original bridge from the owner but ended up sell the bridge to a guy on the TDPRI and I put a regular Fender RI one on it and put the steel saddles from a 69 on it...Mine was wrapped in a thick stretchy finish that looked like something from a Seafood resturant, at Ol Fuzzys recommendation after I stripped it I just tung oiled it...its still my number one guitar...for the last 10 years or so...something about the 68's that just had a feel and sound to them..

J.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze48qxb/...derpictures/.pond/joes68tele.jpg.w560h420.jpg

13. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

JoeyV's 68

Nice! I agree these have a sweet neck profile.

The first night I played mine it had NO finish on it. It got a semi controllable feedback on almost every note. But it felt alive.

You a Johnny Hiland fan?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.