hey folks, how to coil tap?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Newbcaster, May 2, 2017.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Is there a way to coil tap at different values on the same pickup?

Say i want a single coil thats stupidly hot, like 15k... but I also want the same pickup to have taps to 9k and 6.5 k for the vintagey thing.

How would I go about doing that? I dont really understand all of the implications of what Im asking so dont laugh too hard....but im thinking it has to be possible.

So how would I do it? Would someone make this stupid-proof so I could understand it? diagrams?

Thanks in advance.

2. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

It's very possible. When I built my Esquire, I wanted the guitar to exhibit multiple personalities although there was only one pickup. I had this pickup wound by Mike at Reilander Custom Guitars. If I'm remembering correctly, the taps are at 6.8K, 8K, and 9,6K.

[​IMG]

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cavalier Hydra Lion might be just what you're looking for.

Bruxist likes this.
  4. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

As others have said, you have to get the pickup made with tap points, it can't readily be done to an existing pickup. If you have a winding machine (or a drill), you can always add to what's already there.

You might be thinking that tapping a coil will give you the performance of a lower output coil, but it doesn't work out that way, because the way tapping it typically done, the capacitance of a tapped coil is very high. It's greater than the capacitance of a typical guitar cable, so a 6k ohm tap will not sound like a 6k single coil, it would be a lot darker than that. There is a way to get around this issue, but it's not straightforward; it requires four conductor cable and a DP/DT switch.

5. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

David Allen sells a double-tapped bridge pickup for a telecaster called the Triple Play. It also has different wire gauges in the pickup, a really awesome beast. I have it in my last tele build

6. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

I have an Esquire that has a pickup wound by Don Mare that is 15k and 8k I think. It does the vintage Tele twang and more P90ish midrange tone. It's the best sounding guitar I have and really versatile even with the one pickup. I did the modified Eldridge wiring on it, and I almost always use the no volume no tone setting to get the most volume and treble.

Newbcaster likes this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

First, build a pick-up winder.

Newbcaster and Modman68 like this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nashville/Huge Twin Lion does this like no other tapped pup I have ever played. The huge is HOT! The Nash is polite and sweet twangy goodness! I bet the Hydra would get you there.
    Bakersfield/Nash/Huge

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Bruxist likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Honestly, if you're looking for a WHOLE NEW WORLD of hobby (some might call it a rabbit hole ;)), winding your own pickups is kinda fun.

There are tons of nuance, though from an engineering viewpoint they're really simple devices. I built my winder with parts off eBay for less than a lot of people pay for one pickup.

10. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Yeah... need hobby...hole in the head.. etc. but yeah I am still assembling mine(in theory... parts are still in the box.. a miniature speed adjustable bench grinder with a 3 inch wheel, photocell attached to counter laser-y thingamajig.. bunch of 42 gauge wire)...gotta love amazon. Amazon is the devil...it calls to me and makes me spend money.

i wish someone would help me with this and draw some diagrams on how to coil tap multiple times on the same pickup. Can you imagine how cool that would be? i couldnt find a vid on youtube on how to coil tap so....

11. Jupiter

Check in with Rob (Barncaster). He's our winding fiend in the Tele Home Depot.

12. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Tapped coils have eddy and output losses when players send the other portion of the coil to ground. This is in some recommended wiring and it is a poor idea.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey,
    If you want to give it a try, I can do the wind calculations for the resistance values you want. I like Jup's suggestion however, you have to build the winder first! Winding is a disease but a rather enjoyable one.
    Rob

Newbcaster and Jupiter like this.
  14. Jupiter

I'm curious about the wiring. I seem to recall seeing how to do it, but can't remember where...

15. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Here's where I remember coil taps coming of age.
    In 1978 Peavey owner Hartley Peavey and a young luthier/engineer named Chip Todd. Hartley wanted to move Peavey into manufacturing guitars, but what kind should he copy? The humbucking Les Paul sound or the Single coil Strat?.
    Chip said do a guitar that does both. The T-60 guitar and T-40 Bass employed a pickup that when the tone control is at 10, the pickup is a single coil. As you roll the tone to 5 it engages the other coil giving a full humbucker sound and from 5 to 1 you roll in more bass.
    Soon after that everybody and their mother was doing taps and splitting coils.

16. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

alright!!! now we are cooking with gas!!! ill take you up on that for sure... getting fat wound 7 string single coils is hard and expensive.

17. Lelik

Lelik TDPRI Member

Newbcaster likes this.
  18. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

sorry to rehash this post (its only a year old) but i thought it might be more polite than starting a new one based on the same subject.
    I have been reading up about the cavalier pickups and in particular the twin lion as mentioned above.

So if i understand correctly, is the only difference between say the nashville, bakerfield, huge lion the output? So the tap just "grabs the circuit at some point in the wind"?? (sorry for the lack of technical expression!).

if you buy the twin will the huge lion sound exactly the same in this 'tapped' format than if you purchased it as a pure untapped single coil pickup?

Secondly, to install something like this (i will get a guitar tech to do), will they just convert the volume (or tone knob) to be the switch?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.