Hey fellow Tele appreciating personnel 🙂 advice needed please?

Buy player series or swap necks from thinline to squire body?

• Swap necks and hardware

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either, they both would cost the same to get to the same spec, so whichever is easiest...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BLCK-OPM22

TDPRI Member
Hello everyone, some help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any ideas or info please - I'll put a poll up in case people dont have time to give their explanation but here is the dilemma I face.
I own a MIM fender tele player in butterscotch, a fender tele thinline modern with p90s and a Chapman ML3 in Ember with humbuckers (the only tele copies that I'd buy tbh, brilliant hardware, in house designed pickups which are phenomenal and gorgeous finish/fantastic QC)

Anyway, those are the Telecasters I own, however I've fell in love with the black pick guard on black body fender player teles and am wondering what would be the best plan of action, out of these 2 options, I can:
A - buy a squire black on black (bullet for example) and hope that the neck from my thinline fits right, despite the thinline having no little overhang on the 22nd fret, the neck just ends flat and flush to the body. Then if that's successful I would just upgrade the hardware, add twisted tele pickups and better hardware all round... or...

B - would it be cheaper in the long run and be less hassle (to get it to be of fender player standards and above) to just buy a fender player black on black and then if I wanted to add the twisted tele pickups I could but wouldn't have to necessarily and wouldn't have to buy new hardware. The other benefit is that I wouldn't have to worry about the neck not being snug or fitting properly.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'd go the less hassle route and buy a Player...you could swap your unmolested thinline as a part of the process or retain it, but in the form you've been comfortable with for a period of time.

((Every time I buy a guitar for the purpose of modification, it turns out to be better than the one I already had and was afraid to modify😂🤣...YMMV)).

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If you buy a Squier and swap necks, you will probably also want to upgrade the bridge, and the pots, and the pickups. (Or not. :)) I don't think the Squier comes with a black body and black pickguard, but I'm not sure of that. So you may also need to ...

It may be a bit cheaper to go the Squier route, but it will be a lot of "dorking around" to get what you want.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Welcome!

I am all for messing about and playing neck swap games, however that is normally only to get something I couldn't otherwise purchase at the time I was looking

I'd just buy the black on black

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Looking at the teles you have now, I had another thought. You have the earlier era covered with butterscotch/blackguard style; the very modern Chapman, space-age humbuckers and Australian-placed tuning machines (they’re down under, yeah?) and the thin line with P90’s, sort of it’s own planet.

Somewhere in between might be the black on black Squier 70’s style with a version of Fender’s “Wide Range” humbuckers, a whole ‘nother territory to explore.

Albert Collins, Tab Benoit - I’m guessing others here could provide other examples.

This:

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
1656086364170.png

1. Buy second hand Baja Tele, complete with TT and Broadcaster pickups.
2. Sell surplus Teles.
3. Done. :D

Welcome to the Forum. Post often. :cool:

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Buy it if you can. Of course, I did the exact opposite and upgraded a Squier.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Glad to have ya - there are sooooo many ways "to telecaster" - just about anything works, if you have a big enough hammer
Peace - Deeve

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Well, that depends. See if you haven't ever soldered or replaced parts on a guitar, than get the Squier for the experience. (Which by the way is really fun). Or, if you are more experienced in modding, or just want a guitar you can play out of the box go with the MIM. Depending on what line of Squier you get (if that's the route that you decide to go for), it could cost just as much/more than the MIM with all the upgrades. Also, Welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum!

BLCK-OPM22

TDPRI Member
I heard someone say 'surplus teles' and 'sell'... this is sacrilegious sir and punishable under the law, I think... it should be anyway.

I BOUGHT A NEW PLAYER TELE AND I LOVE IT!!!
Seriously it feels like it was made for me, strangely more than my other player in butterscotch, and way more than my thinline. Just feels perfect in everyday and came flawless! So so happy!

Thank you everyone for the input, advice, and the warn welcome. Much of the advice and ideas I will surely use in the future sometine when doing mods and GETTING MORE TELES ;) lol.

This baby is going to get some twisted tele pickups I think I've decided on, although I love it as it is I have another player in butterscotch so have access to the same tone already. I'll post a picture later :), AND some of my surplus teles haha!

Thanks again and happy shredding, noodling, and 3 chord strumming everyone!

Also I look forward to the bonding as I polish it more 🤣 - great comment, thank you for the chuckle.. weirdly probably true though. I fall in love with it more everytime I look at it lol. Although it's not my flashiest guitar it gets pride of place as it's by far my favourite where I can always see it🤦‍♂️.

BLCK-OPM22

TDPRI Member
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. You would get to polish it more, because of the black .... a kind of bonding.
And so the bonding begins...... 😅 you're right, its become my favourite of all my guitars and I've polished it 3 times already (wiped with a microfiber cloth) and I'm sure that's why 😉!

I actually think you're onto something though, genuinely lol.

Thanks for the laugh, from Wales, UK.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I heard someone say 'surplus teles' and 'sell'... this is sacrilegious sir and punishable under the law, I think... it should be anyway.

I BOUGHT A NEW PLAYER TELE AND I LOVE IT!!!
Seriously it feels like it was made for me, strangely more than my other player in butterscotch, and way more than my thinline. Just feels perfect in everyday and came flawless! So so happy!

Thank you everyone for the input, advice, and the warn welcome. Much of the advice and ideas I will surely use in the future sometine when doing mods and GETTING MORE TELES ;) lol.

This baby is going to get some twisted tele pickups I think I've decided on, although I love it as it is I have another player in butterscotch so have access to the same tone already. I'll post a picture later :), AND some of my surplus teles haha!

Thanks again and happy shredding, noodling, and 3 chord strumming everyone!

Also I look forward to the bonding as I polish it more 🤣 - great comment, thank you for the chuckle.. weirdly probably true though. I fall in love with it more everytime I look at it lol. Although it's not my flashiest guitar it gets pride of place as it's by far my favourite where I can always see it🤦‍♂️.

Congrats! We have saying at TDPRI, "pictures or it didn't happen!"

Last edited: