1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hey big foots ! Anyone have personal experience with ordering European size shoes?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I was a US size 13 for most of my life and now feel comfortable in size 14 and sometimes size 15 shoes.

Not wide.

High. Measured from the ground to top of my foot . Not particularly high arches either - just a lot of foot meat.

anyway, it’s time to get a couple pair of bike shoes and so - 48 ? 49 ? 50 ?

It’s crazy how the equivalency charts vary - especially in the larger sizes.

It’s been 25+ years since I did the bike shoe thing but we’re getting to that point and I definitely will not be getting Road-style shoes, which don’t bear any resemblance to the human foot. Just a stiffer-soled something or other that will accept an SPD cleat.

NJ Deadhead likes this.
  2. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

As a big Birkenstock wearer, I can tell you that a 13=46, says it right on the box and it is always a perfect fit. I know some charts out there say otherwise, but I can say with certainty that this conversion is right.

So:
    13=46
    14=47
    15=48

In your case, sounds like you want a 47. Good luck!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You have to try the shoe. In recent times I replaced some older bike shoes. 3 different European sizes were it depending on the brand. I know my European size for Lowa boots and Birkenstock shoes. They weren't same for the bike shoes that had the same US size I usually get.

FWIW, some friends who only want SPD drilling and stiffer than regular athletic shoe like the Five Tens that look like skate or street shoe but have SPD.

FWIW2, I got some Bontrager (Trek) shoes that are same last road or MTB, have the BOA, and know a few people who all think they fit well. Better yet - not too expensive and were in black instead of colors I would not like.

LAPlayer and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have had a pair of Pearl Izumi Fuel shoes for several years. They have more of an MTB/athletic shoe look and a stiff sole with SPD slots. I've used them with all my bikes (and have three new pairs of "real" bike shoes still in the box--untouched). I know for sure I'm in their fourth year...maybe more...and I apparently drag my right toe since it has a small hole worn in it.

In any event...to the size chart. I generally wear an 11-11.5 in a street shoe/boot...these are 46s. They seem to have nice roomy foot boxes. Hope this helps.

IMG_7696.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Shoes are one item I would never order online and purchase without being able to try them on.
    I find shoe sizes to be inconsistent across brands and even models within brands. I wear 13 usually but I have a few size 12s that fit.

LAPlayer, Mike Eskimo and RomanS like this.
  6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

First rule of fight club: Never buy shoes online.

Even different styles of the same brand can be a full size out. The only brand I’ve ever found to be consistent, for me, are Nike. I’m a U.K. 11 but my feet are quite narrow, I can get away with a 12 in other brands but Nike seem to consistent. Even so, would never buy online. I hate having to return stuff.

suave eddie, Mike Eskimo and RomanS like this.
  7. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I'm a 12 or 13 in US and a 45 in Europe fits me quite well. Best of luck!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.