Hey beard guys

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
i actually do remember hating bath night as a kid, and hoping maybe I could get away with just washing my feet

Tim Armstrong

Super Moderator
Ad Free Member
I just eat ribs. Problem solved!

Seriously, though, I can totally understand wanting your beard to be appealing to the ladies, by touch as well as visually. I'm lucky, my hair and beard do just fine with regular soap. I haven't used shampoo regularly in a decade, and haven't used hair conditioner in two decades.

Tim

J-man

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I wear my hair long and have such thick hair that conditioner is all but a necessity. I also can't leave the house with wet hair, because it greatly increases in volume.

Oh and I have such healthy looking fingernails that some people have actually asked me if I'm wearing clear nail varnish. :lol:

I guess I'm just not a manly man. :p ;)

monchavo

TDPRI Member
Shampooing the beard should absolutely not be necessary. You're not exactly clear about which is dry - the hairs of the beard itself - or the skin beneath? You may find that moisturiser on your skin helps that stay soft and flake free. You could visit a dermatologist if you really think you have an issue. I find the concept of "dry beard hair" difficult to really believe.

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
We were not allowed to have beards in high school back in the day. So as soon as I graduated when I was 18, I started growing a beard and have not once gone back. I keep it neat and trim and just use a little shampoo thats it. My wife likes it. My kids have never seen me without it.

pool_gig_2.JPG

unclearty

Tele-Holic
I've had a beard for so long...that one year, I shaved it off..Halloween day...got a black wig..black Wayfarer sunglasses..went to a party as Roy Orbison. For over 2 hours, none of my friends knew who I was!

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
We were not allowed to have beards in high school back in the day. So as soon as I graduated when I was 18, I started growing a beard and have not once gone back. I keep it neat and trim and just use a little shampoo thats it. My wife likes it. My kids have never seen me without it.

Same here, Allen. Well, kind of. :oops:

We weren't allowed to have beards back in high school either. But I couldn't have grown a decent one back then anyway. I first grew my beard in 1980. Didn't like the way it was coming in, and so in a moment of frustration I shaved it off. But then I decided to grow it right back again. That was around September of 1980, and I've had one since.

Well, sort of. :oops:

Like you said about your kids, mine were all pretty young when I grew the beard. My youngest daughter was two, but in the years to come she had no conscious memory of me without one, and would periodically pester me to shave it off. She wanted to see my cleft chin. (That was part of the reason I hated shaving so much. I had to virtually get out the jaws of life every morning just to shave in there.)

Every time she brought it up, I would make "No, never" statements, but in the back of my mind I would think "It would be great shock value to surprise her with it someday." So In January of 1994, the night before her 16th birthday, I waited until everyone, my wife included, was asleep, and the proceeded to shave off the beard. I meant to leave the mustache, but I hadn't shaved in so long I kept getting it uneven. After a while, it was either Hitler or completely clean-shaven, so I chose the latter.

When I woke her up that morning, she knew it was her birthday, and immediately realized I shaved for her. She cried. Whether because she was touched or the sight was just too hideous, I'm not sure. :oops: I told her...

"You take pictures, video, stare...whatever you're gonna do. But when you say okay, I'm growin' it back, and you'll not see this chinny-chin-chin again."

I'm a man of my word; I haven't shaved from that time to this, 19+ years. So except for about a month in 1994, I've had a beard since 1980, basically 33 years. It used to be black; now it's pretty much all white. Now I look like Father Time...

father-time.gif

...or Chris "Bear Claw" Lapp (a.k.a., Will Geer)...
6620254_f520.jpg

...or the long, lost Robertson brother Phil & Si don't like to talk about...
1-si-and-phil-fix-bbq.jpg

jjkrause84

Poster Extraordinaire
I grew a full beard once, and I can honestly say I hated it after a while. Feeling it rub on my neck drove me crazy and it itched.. a lot.

It felt so good to shave it off.

You gotta stick with it. The itching phase only lasts a few weeks...then it's gone forever. Also, you should shave it back away from your neck if it bothers you there.

rebelwoclue

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
It's funny... I just began growing moustache/goatee combo about a week ago- coming along nicely. We'll see how long it'll last- the various locations that I work in sometimes don't allow facial hair...
My kids are just the opposite- they've always seen me clean shaven.

Mike Bruce

Friend of Leo's
Except for some dry skin that dandruff shampoo looks after, I don't do anything special for my beard other than trim it once a month or so. The reason I have a beard is it requires way less work than a shaved face. Besides with my eyesight, mirrors are a nuisance.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've noticed a lot of guys around here who ride choppers have found that bits of egg yolk, Kentucky Fried Chicken, mustard, mayonnaise and a various beverages splashed liberally about their beards keeps them looking healthy and no doubt attractive to the Rosie O'Donell look alikes perched behind them on their trusty steeds.