Heroic rescue of a child from 4th floor balcony

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, May 28, 2018.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

it was pretty cool, big news here in Europe.

jondanger likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thumbs up for brave guys who solve the problem before the fire bigade arrives!

Attached Files:

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can't be the only one puzzled by why the guy on the next balcony didn't swing over and grab the child?

Some kids couldn't have possibly hung on that long...whew! High praise for the hero!

5. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

^^^^

You are definitely not the only one puzzled!

Maybe the camera angle was misleading, but it looked to me that the other guy had hands on the child and could have just lifted him to safety???

Georox, televillian and nojazzhere like this.
  6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

An act of pure heroism. Top man.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am a man of action
    I would have run inside and broken down the appartement door to save the kid,
    But what he did is crazy

NICQ and RadioFM74 like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I saw the footage on CNN a couple hours ago....the rescuer climbed up four floors from the street to save the child. But what was the man already on the fourth floor doing in the meantime? The "hero" has now been awarded a medal AND French citizenship....he was not a citizen to begin with. The cynic in me wonders....was this staged for some reason? I feel guilty saying this, but.....??????

7171551 likes this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I ll just delete that post. We dont need it.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great!

11. jondanger

I think that the other guy was pretty close to being able to get the kid by the time that Mr. Gassama got up there. It looks like there is a wall between the balconies, and that the other guy is not on the same balcony as the kid, and can’t quite reach him. Seems like the other guy would have gotten the kid down safely if Mr. Gassama has not been there. I’m not sure why it would be staged. If it was it would be highly crass and irresponsible to put a child in that sort of danger. And for what?

Teleterr likes this.
  12. william tele

It sure wouldn't be my first thought that this was staged. Or my second, or third thought.

Oh, hell. Not in a million years would it occur to me that this risk of life was staged...but it still coulda' been.

I'm going with "The guy who saved the kid is amazing and the guy who could have saved him was honestly too scared to just hop around the partition. Some people are paralyzed by heights...

Teleterr and jondanger like this.
  13. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

From the clip, it's not clear that the guy on the other adjacent balcony, on the other side of the partition, was even there until halfway through the climb. Then he was leaning out over a 4 story drop holding the kid's arm to help keep him in place & in case the kid let go. Think about it ... to go around the partition, the guy would have had to let go of the kid, stand up on the railing and then step essentially right next to the kids hands on the railing - leaving the kid without protection the whole time. It might have made the kid drop, and he felt (obviously under some pressure) that he was doing the best thing. By the time the climber got there, he had nudged the kid closer to his reach so he ended up helping with the lift at the end. Cut him some slack ... it's easy to be an armchair quarterback ....

However, I guess we all agree that the climber is an incredibly brave and selfless man, and one hell of an athlete to boot. He's probably got a job lined up now for the next Jason Bourne movie.

Teleterr likes this.
  14. jondanger

Occam’s razor.

15. william tele

When the kid was way over in the middle was when I thought the guy would dive across and at the same time pulled the kid down inside. But he kept his head and inched over and, looks to me like he actually did secure the kid while the climber scaled the last balcony.

Yes, the last paragraph is all that matters. As far as talking about stuff...hell, that's what do. No monday morning required!

TeleTucson likes this.
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a cynic as well and, although I wondered about why the guy on the same floor couldn't have done more, it never entered my mind that this was staged. Who would endanger the life of a child to stage an event?
    I'm happy to accept the bravery and good deed of the man who climbed four stories at face value. Bravo.
    Are we becoming so jaundiced by the overblown talk of "fake news" that we can't accept what our eyes tell us?

Teleterr likes this.
  17. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

The other guy was holding onto the kid to stop him falling. There was a wall between them - to get to the other side he would have had to climb over the balcony, which would have meant either trying to do it one handed and killing them both or letting go of the kid and probably killing him. Not much more he could have done.

Teleterr and TeleTucson like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I doubt very much the whole "setup" thing.
    First of all I can't think of any parents who would risk their kids life, second, nobody knew in advance that this would result in a citizenship and a job offer

19. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

staged ? for what ? reality tv

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.