1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heroes , Cult of personality, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

What the heck are you smoking Ping?:D

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Two things:
    (1) I saw Living Colour in 1989, opening up for the Stones at the Cotton Bowl. They must have pissed off the sound guy because you couldn’t hear the drums or vocals.

(2) I’ve never had a piece of “signature” gear in my rig long-term, (besides the Dunlop JH-2S Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz, which I bought based on the way it sounded, not the name on it)...also, while I’ve tried and enjoyed the features of many signature pieces, I’ve never been stupid enough to think, “I bought a _____ model guitar/pedal/amp, so now I’ll sound just like him/her!”

I will admit that early on in my playing “career” that my heroes influenced my equipment choices, but more because I liked a particular sound, not because I thought I’d sound like them if I bought those pieces...for example:

I tried a Tube Screamer because of SRV...but I bought it because it sounded good;

I bought a Strat because of SRV, JLV, EC and DBII, but I knew I wasn’t going to sound like any or all of them just because I had a Strat—it was because it was a beautiful, great playing, great sounding guitar.

Nowadays, the gear my heroes use has little or no effect on my gear choices...would I like a red Telecaster with a rosewood fretboards, like Muddy’s? Would I buy a Muddy Waters signature model?
    Yes, because I like red and Telecasters and rosewood fretboards and Muddy Waters, not because I think I’m going to instantly start channeling Muddy any more than I already do.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I smell what you're cookin', @ping-ping-clicka. I've often wondered how many pairs of Body Glove stretchy-pants were sold by Living Colour's videos and appearances.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been stupid enough. That Jimi Hendrix Signature Marshall full stack (serial number 301) did NOT make me sound like Hendrix even with a pretty nice Strat. Musta been the pedals... (kinda wish I still had it, though)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:) you make the funny, :lol:, how they sound, not what they wear is what holds my fascination.
    Though I know that even in my elder years I'm just way to sexy:twisted: even in a faded T-shirt and blue jeans, a pair of well traveled Birkenstocks, 'cause I'm just so pretty.:p
    though the yellow buttless Prince britches certainly made me think , of he's such a bad ,so bad-dangerous man, gotta love all that confidence, plus he could play a lick , or 2:cool:

LutherBurger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.