1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heroes , Cult of personality, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I saw Living Colour open for the Stones back in 1991 I think? They were good, a legitimate rock and roll band, of black New Yorkers. 1991 was the same year Michael Jacksons Dangerous came out, dominating as the top act and album. We were glad to see any R&R in those years.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Vernon Reid is an amazing player. That whole album rocked my world back in the late '80s

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

ping-ping-clicka,

You asked what I think, and what I think is that 'stream of consciousness' makes for interesting comedy in person, on television, or in movies.

I also think that it makes for a tedious reading experience.

If I were your paid editor, your original posting would have read like this, and everyone would be the much wiser for the experience:

The band Living Color had a hit with a song called "THE CULT OF PERSONALITY", which reflects on the notion of the power of a persuasive and attractive personae in politics and government.

It was also a great rock song. The guitar work, drums, bass, and vocals are all top-notch. In my humble opinion, these guys are amazing talents each in their own right. Cory Glover has a great voice and he really delivered a powerful message.

On a different note, is it possible that whatever we accept, covet, or crave can become an unreasonable emotional addiction?

Case in point;

Many of you are familiar with the Fender Artist Series Joe Strummer Tele. (Joe was the leader and guitar player for the British band The Clash).

Was Fender, in essence, putting the name of a 'cult of personality' person on a product as a sales gimmick?

If I buy a Eddie Van Halen guitar, a Jimmy Page signature guitar, or even a Joe Satriani guitar, what exactly am I buying (or buying into)?

If I buy an EVH amp and guitar, will I be able to play and have the creative intuition and imagination of Eddie just because I own these brand named "Eddie" products?

The corporate profiteer answer is obvious; Of Course I will if I plunk down the hard earned cash to acquire these fetish objects, these talismans that will magically transport me to the Eddie Zone.

Sometimes I think the cynical approach of some marketing departments is valid when I see myself starting to believe that I NEED, and that I MUST HAVE this or that guitar or product.

It's possible that some guitarist like myself will fall for some really stupid marketing ploy.

Maybe all guitar player are stupid. The sales figures and the results seem to back up this negative assumption.

Allow me to clarify, and no offense to you, I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to myself really, and putting myself in check.

Besides, you are a very smart person, because, after all, you read my posts......
    ah , right.

P.T. Barnum said it so well, "A guitarist is born every 3.34 minutes"

Okay. You know that's not true, and that I made it up.
    But you already know that because you're pretty smart.

You've read this far, right?

;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Fiesta Red and Wulf like this.
  4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I think editors are valuable but they certainly aren’t infallible. Proofreading is essential.

Sparky2 and Wulf like this.
  5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Im so glad i could read that without my spex on...from across the room

Rocky058, Sparky2 and Manual Slim like this.
  6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

(Said with the loviest of love.)

SuprHtr, Sparky2 and Wulf like this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

JUST HOW BIG CAN WE SET THE FONT?

:eek:

Sparky2 and Wulf like this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

taste in things is the most ticklish of subjects to approach in conversation...we all have different ideas as to what taste actually is

Manual Slim likes this.
  9. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

As far as what happened to living color, I've got 3 Vernon Reid solo albums which are quite good. I heard incredible bassist Muzz Skilling was temporarily out of commission for something like carpal tunnel, but came back to play in another band by playing with his left hand over the top (bass side) of the neck. I'm not sure what band he went into.

10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

yaaaay...i can chuck me grotty spex in th bin

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Just think of it as the The Font Of Personality.

:)

Wulf likes this.
  12. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

And that first Living Colour disc still kicks booty. Now I need to cue up 'Open Letter To A Landlord'.

Wulf likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I saw Vernon Reid a few years ago opening for Joe Satriani. Between bands, Vernon had a signing/meet and greet thing and I before I met him, I was thinking about the first time I saw them and how knocked out I was by this black dude playing such a killer rock guitar style (yeah, because everyone knows black guys can't possible play rock guitar, right?).

I wanted to say something to him but I wanted to keep it short. It occurred to me that we were both closing in on sixty years old and I wanted to impart to him that I was there when he was breaking out so I said, and this is SO clever on my part, "I remember when we were both young." I still have nightmares of the look that he gave me which was "Uh, who is this crazy person?".

I kinda wish I hadn't had that last beer before composing my verbal synopsis of Vernon Reid and my relationship...

14. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Whenever I use a piece of signature gear, guitars, pedals, anything, I immediately acquire all the skills of the person whose signature adorns it. It’s uncanny! It must be some sort of magic or something.

But I NEVER buy signature gear. I hate having someone else’s signature on my stuff. I just stop at music stores and test drive all the signature gear that they have in stock.

When I do buy gear, I just buy the normal stuff. With all that extra skill that I pick up from test driving the signature gear, I can make the normal, non-signature stuff sound amazing.

Sparky2 and SuprHtr like this.
  15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Ha! Same, except my gear says Fender on it and Leo couldn’t play so..... that explains that.

Steerforth and loopfinding like this.
  16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

"To a New Yorker like you a hero is some type of weird sandwich." - Oddball

17. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw 'em down here back in the day. Can't remember if it was Muzz Skillings on bass or Doug Wimbish. Too long ago.

richiek65 likes this.
  18. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

:)

19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Could thee spray that again ord lad...didnt quite get that...half deaf in min left lug..half blind in min left eye...dog bit min left ear off and min spex keep slipping down on one side

20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Look wot you dun gone n started!!!...LOL...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.