1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heroes , Cult of personality, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 26, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Living Color did a song called "THE CULT OF PERSONALITY" which discusses the subject while being a great Rock Song , guitar, drums, Bass, Vocals. These guys imho are amazing talents each in their own right .
    Cory Glover has a great voice and really gets the point across regarding what we (the Masses, fall for) do
    , What we accept covet,crave become emotionally addicted . Someone tried to sell a Joe Strummer Tele.
    Put the name of a C.O.P. person on a product as a sales technique. If I buy a Eddie Van, A Jimmy Page, a Joe Satriani guitar what am I buying or buying into?
    If I buy an Eddie Amp and guitar while I be able to play and have the creative intuition imagine of Eddie just because I own these brand named , "Eddie" products?
    The Answer is obvious, Of Course I will if I plunk down the hard earned to acquire these fetish objects,
    these talamens that will magically transport me to the Eddie Zone.
    Sometimes I think the cynical approach of some marketing departments is valid when I see myself starting to believe that I NEED, I MUST HAVE , this or that, maybe some guitarist like me will fall for some really stupid marketing ploy. Maybe guitar player are stupid, the sales figures, the results seem to back this negative assumption up, no offence to you , I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to me really , putting myself in check. Beside you are a very smart person you read my posts...... ah , right.
    P.T. Barnum said it so well,
    " A guitarist is born every 3.34 minutes"
    actually you know that's not true, I made it up, but you already know that 'cause your pretty smart because you've read this far...;)

SuprHtr, MisterZ, richiek65 and 2 others like this.
  2. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Whoa, whatta mouthful ping :D. I thought we were gonna talk about one of my long lost best bands. Love Living Color but I wonder what happened to them. I tried to keep up years ago but have fallen back into jazz aestheticism. And my own musical dribblings.

But I agree about the C.O.P culture. It has a strong pull. I like to say that I only own one such critter, that being Epiphones version of Lucille. I am a fan and a Blues player but not a purveyor of the 3 note, tasteful to a fault, lick. I actually play (try) jazz and my version of blues with it.

Honestly I've never found another artist sig guitar or amp that was interesting. Although, those Clapton Fender tweeds they put out a few years back caught my interest but the price.....no thanks.

Happy turkey day ping

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Whaa?

boneyguy and PhredE like this.
  4. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Marketing is a subtle form of mind control that lulls you into parting with your hard earned Krispie Kremes. I would be a better person if I could say I'm not impacted. I am. Callaway Big Bertha, Keen, Cazadores, Samsung, you name it. I've had my eyes on the Danny Gatton Tele for years, but the price tag has turned me off. Should have bought one when they were $3,000!!!

5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

I think I get what you're saying here. I used to sort of approach guitars and gear in that same mindset. Now, I basically do the opposite: I get something relatively inexpensive, and take it and analyze it, disassemble it, and then see just how much I can improve the instrument in question. Sometimes, seemingly 'average' guitars can be made into quite decent ones. Sometimes, I lose though too. It isn't always easy to tell at first blush how things will shake out. I figure, the learning/tweaking/fixing is worth a lot in itself.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have become somewhat disoriented. Luckily, that has never really bothered me. ;)

boneyguy and eclecticsynergy like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's not just marketing. It's a basic need of a whole lot of people: validation--something that makes the individual feel like part of a greater thing via a personal, direct connection to it.

Beyond the obvious religious reasons, I think this has a lot to do with the widespread fascination for geneology (Ancestry.com, 23&Me, etc.). If a person discovers they're distantly related to some long-dead Poobaj of Punjab it somehow makes their life better knowing they have a mufti in their mishpacha.

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Cocaine is a helluvan editor

Brendo and boneyguy like this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Cults Of Personality historically have always ended horribly
    its a dark and dangerous path to walk down
    A path no Man with Honour and Dignity would wish to tread

stnmtthw and Mad Kiwi like this.
  11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

Why do people try so hard to psychoanalyze those who buy signature gear? For me it’s not too different from regular gear. That is to say, there’s a lot of messed-up psychology behind my buying habits with regard to gear in general, not just the stuff that has a famous player’s name on it.

Wulf and Manual Slim like this.
  12. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

It's a little like buying a replica Formula 1 Car, Mercedes Lewis Hamilton Signature series and then taking it to the local racetrack to tool around at 80 MPH. Whatever floats ones Chris Craft.

Wulf likes this.
  13. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

Sometimes it’s more like driving it around your private race track where no one will see you.

14. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

The only names on my guitars are Fender and Martin.

15. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Not sure about the psycho babble, but they were a cool band and COP was a great song!

16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thing is...all the greats were really using mainly off the peg stuff....some whatever they could afford
    tweaked and maintained by a good tech in many cases but not all....and they relic ed them with hard use and neglect or disregard...not some bloke in a factory putting one black pickup cover on then attacking a guitar with a truck and an angle grinder,,,then empty his night bucket on it...leave it in the sun for a week ...then stick a couple of thousand price tag on it...we can knack em and bodge em you lot just keep makin em.....lets just play guitar....any bloody guitar....make your own type of noise and keep off bandwagons and fads
    its p155potticle

17. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

They've toured down here a few times in the last 5 years or so. Incredible band!

18. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i'd only buy sigs that are weird and really give me something i can't get otherwise. like any howard roberts model or a trini lopez or something. or a herb ellis for much cheaper on a guitar that i'm not going to use the bridge pickup anyway. or the eastwood electric "baritone tenor." or some of the baritone reverend stuff. i don't even know who the hell warren ellis or pete anderson are and i don't care. i hate slipknot, but jim root has the only easily available production nylon pick with a pointy tip.

otherwise, give me the standard issue. i know who i am and how this stuff works.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  19. Taurus

Taurus TDPRI Member

I really like the song, no idea what happened to the band. Yeah, I do think marketing plays a part in what bands people listen to & what music gear people buy but.. don’t know what happened to the band.

Myself, I kinda don’t buy signature stuff like I’m happy with just a standard Mexican/Standard American and make my own music. But haven’t got back into guitars yet, soon will. But yeah, I’d rather just get a standard (Tele, SG, Strat or whatever) and find my tone

20. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I thought I kind of liked them before I saw them in ‘91, but it didn’t last. I do like guitars though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.