Heresy - I don't find amp tremolo better than pedal tremolo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Treeface, Jan 12, 2019.

1. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! Quite interesting.

I had a Brown Deluxe, I had to sell when I was broke :cry: Honestly I dont remember the tremolo.

I have an early Reverborocket - maybe I need to revisit it's trem.

Definitely gonna to look at the J20 schema.

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, if you’re into tremolo, the J20 is fabulous. Not a vintage amp, but a hand wired modern amp that is supposedly almost a brown deluxe clone. I slightly prefer the Deluxe overall, but love the j20 tremolo.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

4. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I did not know that. Thought Juke was the only one that had both. Thank you for the clarification.

5. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

If you have a trem pedal and you want it to sound as much like like amp trem as possible then run it after (spring style) reverb and before distortion. The Fender optical trem is in the last part of the preamp before the power section. So you can hear trem on the reverb trails and the output of the trem gets distorted by the overdriven power section. It’s a subtle difference but setting up the chain like this adds a little realism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgreene likes this.
  6. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

That's the factory setting with the Strymon Flint - tremolo after reverb and that's the way I run it. I am absolutely happy with it and therefore opt for pedal instead of amp-tremolo.
    But then it is maybe more a question if you're looking for that ONE sound or if you want different options.
    I'm not talking about a cover band with a repertoire from ABBA to Zappa, but playing in a fourpiece with g, b, dr and voc means to offer some different sounds for me.
    I have a clean tone (= Funk/Jazz-type clean with no overdrive at all) from my amp, a slight break-up crunch from a pedal (OCD) and my overdrive channel (still more of a 70s crunch); stacking the crunch channel with my overdrive pedal gives me enough gain and sustain for lead/rock-tones I want. So it's 4 sounds plus "spices" from my pedals. The "spice" can be different trem-settings, delays (slapback, long delays, dotted 8th, sometimes a bit wobble & flutter sometimes crazy pitchshifting.
    Other people opt for that one sweetspot-tone.
    That's okay, but is a bit like eating pulled pork bbq all the time.....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    JDB2 likes this.
  7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Just read a joe gore review of a trem pedal I hadn’t heard of... with a great name: Zeppelin Quaverato. Does both normal and harmonic trem, and seems to have a ton of tweakable options. But the part that really interested/surprised me was that they offer a DIY kit for only $98 (the non-kit version is $198). Definitely going to check this one out.

Here’s the review: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/28296-zeppelin-quaverato-review

8. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

For years I've used this Rocktron Surf pedal on one of my boards -- tremolo and compressor. Sounds good and built like a tank.

20190116_094319.jpg

9. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Some people have mentioned one point - you can't beat the amp footswitch for convenience. No batteries, no daisy chains or power supplies, no wires snaking everywhere.

bblumentritt likes this.
  10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Thanks.

It has a unique sounding tremolo, that I think would be difficult to reproduce in a pedal.

Many tremolos are simple on/off amplitude modulation, mixed in with the dry signal. This tremolo affects more than just the amplitude.

Some old Fenders had the 'harmonic tremolo,' that splits the signal into high and low frequency components, oscillates them out of phase, and then recombines them before the power section. That is, while the HF is boosted the LF is attenuated and vice versa. It's a very lush and rich tremolo.

Old Music Man amps had a dual tremolo, whereby when you turn the Intensity past '5' it introduces another pulse, in an attempt to sound more like a rotating speaker. I didn't really care much for it back then.

mgreene likes this.
  11. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The Device I'm looking for would create the sound of an earlier Magnatone.
    For reference "Robert Ward's - Your Love Is Amazing" ...and so's Your Tremolo.:D

Suggestions...?

12. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I've got one of these, it can combine several different wave forms and so far has been able to mimick other trems pretty good:

[​IMG]

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Old thread. I could go either way here. I have a trem on my small board. Like @theprofessor Im partial to the 4 knob Voodoo Lab. The shape and level knobs really make trem work live. And my JC40 doesn’t have trem. But my 68 CDR does and I’m perfectly happy using that too.

theprofessor likes this.
  14. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Black/silverface stuff is the worst of all Fender termolo
    Brownface Harmonic is best, Brownface/Blackface bias is 2nd best.

Best ever trem pedal? Best I cant tell you because I don't want the price to go up!

Supro 1310 is 2nd so far. Close 3rd is Source Audio Vertigo.

I hear that Twin Peaks is great but $450? F'that!

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed, however that's one less pedal you need. For me it opens up a slot for a different effect on my Boss ME80.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never used tremolo over the years, but have been loving it in my Excelsior the past few years. But now I'm playing my newly refurbished SF Champ more and I miss tremolo, so I ordered a TR-2 that will be here tomorrow. Got it for only $46 new using points from my Amazon card

Have to say that I did notice the Excelsior tremolo seems to take away a bit from the overall sound of the amp. Will be interesting to see how this pedal operates. I'll try it on the Excelsior as well.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Love the Boss TR-2! Been playing it through my Champ and Super 210 and it's an excellent pedal. I also noticed while I was playing that my old KMD analog delay has been adding some funny noises in the background (had noticed it before but wasn't sure if it was the pedal), so I pulled out an old DanEcho that I have, which is not nearly as old as the KMD, and it's sounding very good now. I'll probably open up the old KMD and see if some components needs replacing.

Just a hobby player so I keep the pedals to a minimum.

20200629_205355.jpg

18. Awkirk

Awkirk TDPRI Member

Not the most experienced with Trem pedals as I've owned just one, an EH stereo pulsar has done everything i've asked of it. It does some very cool things. I do love the option of having two "presets" with the pulsar and amp on board reverb. Tremolo is highly underrated. Buddy Miller (who was unknown to me before seeing the below vid,) really had me running to my rig after hearing some of his sounds. Also listened to some of his recordings and they sure are great!

19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1...Great pedal

upload_2020-7-1_6-42-20.png

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Actually I find them inconvenient as heck:
    -cable never long enough to get to the pedal board area
    -Stiff cable, never lays flat on stage.
    -Flops over easily,
    -Switches too close together on the Reverb Trem ones.
    -an extra thing to run and locate at gig set up.

Since I started using a cheap tremelo pedal in the 5 piece band, I use it a lot more. For some reason, the Fender amp tremelo gets nasty or lost in the mix. The pedal trem cuts through nicely. Now I dont have to stuff that switch and cable in the back of the amp and worry about damaging the speaker either!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.