Heresy - I don't find amp tremolo better than pedal tremolo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Treeface, Jan 12, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

... and I should add... I like my Fender BF style tremelo playing alone, but in the band mix is when it becomes less distinct. The pedal doesnt so much.

MilwMark likes this.
  2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

I don't use tremolo very often and in my gig rig I just use the trem in an old Zoom 9030 half-rack unit. I've kept it in the rack for decades, specifically for less-used effects like trem, stutter, ring mod, sample/hold, and the occasional boxy resonator sound.

Never felt the need to get a trem pedal for my rehearsal pedalboard or for the grab 'n go jam board.

As for real amps, the best sounding tremolo I've ever used is in my 1950s Magnatone Lyric; there's something unusual and special going on there. Not sure a pedal could really duplicate that. It's quite different, miles beyond the trem in my blackface Fenders.

Even so, I absolutely agree with those who feel that in the context of a band, the subtleties matter far less. Perhaps in a special case where guitar totally dominates the mix it might make a difference. But IMO for most situations the finer distinctions between varieties aren't crucial.

Just my opinion as an occasional user though - if I were playing retro music and running it all the time I might want that Magnatone with me everywhere I go...

3. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I generally agree as far as later amps are concerned, although if you've ever tried the trem on an original Fender Super brownface or an early 60s Magnatone, it might change your mind.

powerwagonjohn and W.L.Weller like this.
  4. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I broke out my Dunlop TS-1 earlier today to try out on a non trem amp I recently acquired. I haven’t used it in years and forgot how versatile it is in comparison to my amps with onboard trem.

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I agree with the OP about pedal-based tremolo AND with those who have chimed in about reverb. I MUCH preferred my pedal trem and pedal reverb to the trem/reverb in my Fender PRRI. And it got to the point where I was seeing an $900 bill every time I looked at it or played it. I mean, why would have an amp with trem and reverb if I don’t use them? So I sold it, got a 5e3 deluxe and I”m very happy with my Source Audio True Spring reverb/trem pedal.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Tremolo is a big part of what i do... has been for 30 years.

I always use pedal tremolo... Every amp I have owned with tremolo has had a volume drop when engaged. No problem in a studio... but useless live (for me) without engaging a boost pedal.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

It's not just taste, or the perceived quality of the in-amp trem. It's as AC15 says in the post above. Even with a really good in-amp trem sound, it seems more convenient to use the pedal. Case in point: My Allen Encore has one of the best trems I've heard from amps. A breathy, tasty bias vary tremolo. Also has an excellent two knob reverb. But I rarely use either. Because the trem I most want to hear is on the pedal board. Same goes with reverb.

8. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

I generally prefer my BBE Tremor pedal for its great sound and versatility with two foot switchable speeds. BUT...the Tremolo in my SUPRO Tremo-Verb defines lush for me!

9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Diamond Trem and a reverb pedal for me through a SF Bandmaster reverb. The flexibility is nice to have.

10. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Don't worry you're not alone, i can extend your argument about the reverb as well ( i'm gonna be lynched now :lol::lol::lol: )

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

It's fine. My Boss RV-6 reverb sounds better than my Blues Jr. reverb -- by a country mile. (But not better than my DRRI's reverb.)

And the pedal is a lot more versatile than any amp reverb.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I don't know where you read "lush and organic" about optical tremolo, since it is by nature "choppy".

The earlier brown amps used multiple tubes to split the signal into lows and highs, processed each through an oscillator, and combined them with the phasing off. THAT tremolo, nicknamed "harmonic vibrato" (because it fools your ear into hearing pitch changes) sounds swirly, lush and rich. I have both a '62 Concert and '62 Bandmaster with that system, and running the two amps together with slightly different trem settings sounds VERY close to my Leslie - which was the idea behind amp trem to begin with.

But the extra tubes and complicated circuit was expensive, hence the optical trem in BF amps.

I haven't used BF or SF amp trem in decades. When using a Deluxe Reverb, for example, I use an old (and slightly rare/expensive) Boss PN-2 Trem/Pan pedal, which has adjustable waveform.

I love trem and have tried a bunch of old, new, boutique, cheap, expensive, simple and complicated trems - and the two best pedals I've found are that PN-2 and the little 1/4 size Hottone "Trem" - which has even MORE variety to the waveform than the PN-2.

When I play my '66 Deluxe Reverb it always has one or the other in front. I use the footswitch only for Reverb - trem is always off.

Tommy Biggs and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

With so many nice trem and reverb pedals out there it makes more sense (for me) to have them available in pedal form. This allows me to have my prefered version independent of the amp.

I have to have trem, so it greatly increases the amps available to me. It also saves money (less expensive amps) and potential reliability problems that come with more amp complexity.

My main reason is that they allow me to get exactly the effect I want regardless of the amp. I have many amps, and they ALL have great trem though none of them came with it.

ac15 likes this.
  14. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Too many vintage Fenders I've owned had the stupid ticking on the vibrato. I gave up on that years ago, and just used a Tuna Melt or TR-2.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  15. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I hope it's not heresy, as many of us agree with you. Like some others here, I do not like amp (spring) reverb at all -- it's a ridiculous tone I never use unless imitating surf tones, etc. -- and while some amp tremolo circuits are great, I still get an even better and more finely result from pedals. It's really been maybe 4-5 years since some great pedal makers took on these amp sounds, and IMO there are products out there now that are many times over better than the crude in-amp units. If you want the old sound, then amp units are a good choice because that's what you are trying to duplicate. I don't care for that myself, and I love working with the new generations of pedals.

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

If you have a Strymon Flint, you can anything that any amp ever could do with tremolo and reverb. They're cool effects, but that's all they are, and a ton of different pedals and modelers can cover that ground.

17. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

As far as the opto trem in most of the blackface and Silverface amps, I’d agree. The bias vary like in the smaller brown amps is far superior, for me at least. I’ve got a “Swamp Thang” pedal (can’t remember who makes it) that simulates bias vary trem pretty well. I sometimes use it with my blackface amps ILO the stock opto trem. The harmonic trem in the bigger brown amps is a cool effect, but I don’t find it nearly as useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

It depends on the amp and the pedal. Some amps have bad tremolo circuits and some pedals have great recreations. I have to admit the tremolo in my Vintage Sound 20 amp is my favorite of any I've ever heard.

19. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I'm with you on this one. My Boss RV-6 has a spring reverb setting that's indistiguishable from the real thing (at least to my ears). Plus I can get hall, room, plate, a modulation effect, and a couple of other things that have never been built into a tube amp.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Try a Magnatone Twilighter stereo and get back to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.