Here's an Odd One.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bones, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My Background: I have successfully soldered many replacement pickups, full wiring schemes, including an eldred mod esquire from scratch. I have replaced, pots, caps, resistors in amps and guitars with no problems at all. I'm not a soldering noob.

The subject: My 1994 MIJ "Anniversary" Custom.

20171008_113731.jpg

The problem: Bridge pup keeps going out about once a month.

The temporary solution: Resoldering the hot lead to the switch lug. I don't get it, I have never had a problem like this, but simply touching up the joint "fixes" it, but then it "breaks again. Last time I even clipped the end of the wire and started fresh, but now it happened again. It's the weirdest thing. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

What's the solution: ????

tintag27 likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

The problem might be a short elsewhere that you temporarily close when you mess around with the wiring.

jimash and ecosse like this.
  3. Bones

That's what I'm thinking, maybe the lug is split somewhere that I can't see? I guess a new switch should probably be the real fix.

4. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

It's ruined.... send it to me.

No chance it's acid core solder or anything? Bad plating on the switch contacts? Can't imagine anyway that heating up the lug might "tighten" the wipers on the switch contact if that was the problem. Have you replaced the switch at any point?

Really like the pearl, the binding, and the ashtray, btw.

mnutz likes this.
  5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I don't have anything to add except, that really is a beautiful guitar.

6. Bones

It has a whole new wiring , it's not like I'm trying to fix a 23 year old problem, the guts are brand new. This guitar was a labor of love, new frets, new gold hardware, switched from a modern 6 saddle to vintage ashtray, Fender pure vintage 64 pups, the works. that's why it's so odd. Using the same 60/40 solder i use on all my guitars and never had a problem like this.

7. baldwindp

baldwindp TDPRI Member

I would try a new switch. That seems like something that you are directly affecting when you resolder that could later fail again due to use.

voodoostation likes this.
  8. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

If you've cleaned the switch contacts and the problem persists, swap the neck and bridge connections on the switch for diagnostic purposes.

This would allow you to answer some of your questions you have..

1: Is it always just the bridge pickup

2: Is it the specific switch position that's the problem.

Sometimes it's easier to figure out what is causing the problem by crossing other possibilities off the list

Good luck

Ricky D. and JustABluesGuy like this.
  9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Switch is next on the list, but I have a more burning question. What model is that amp?
    Thanks,
    Gene

10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I am going to theorize that the problem is not the switch, but the other end of the pickup wire, where it exits the pickup.

I forgot to add how absolutely beautiful that thing looks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Bones and jvin248 like this.
  11. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I would tend to agree, doubtful its the switch, more likely the pickup wire, I'd put a meter on it and wiggle the wire or plug it in and wiggle the wire to see if the sound cuts out.

I did replace the switch on my JP Tele though a couple of years ago as it broke, don't know about yours but the original switch on mine was a bit cheesy.

DrBoBo and jimash like this.
  12. nervous

nervous Tele-Meister

+1 on this as well, this is where my thoughts took me. Happens all the time with mic cables, especially the newer cheap ones where the hair thing strands will break somewhere other than the obvious 'stressed' places. Chasing those down is a witch hunt and they usually end up in the trash from frustration. The long away around this diagnosis would be to temporarily install a different bridge pickup and see if the problem comes back. If it does then it ain't the pickup lead after all. Good luck.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I had this exact problem on a Strat.

Reflow the solder at the pickup bobbin eyelets.

jimash likes this.
  14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

OOPS!
    Wrong Thread!
    Gene

Attached Files:

15. Bones

Thanks, it's a 2001 Fender Custom Shop "Two-Tone". It's a USA Blues Junior chassis in a custom shop designed and built cabinet and instead of a 1x12" , it has a 1x12" AND 1x10". They are not easy to find and when you do find one, they are generally around $1k. I got mine 2 months ago for $350 on CL. Best craigslist deal ever for me.

16. Bones

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I did replace the switch and of course it's working again, we will see for how long.

17. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Yelp, that kind of thing can drive you nuts. My experience like that was a ground wire to the trem claw on my strat and I kept getting hum. Finally found it with my multi meter continuity check. How a wire can become broke inside the insulation in the middle of the wire with no obvious sign of distress, but it happens. Platefire

18. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I did too, and it drove me crazy as it would work with all my ‘fixes’, including reflow solder on connections, putting in a new switch and would read OK on my meter...then go out again. It finally stayed ‘out’, I couldn’t find the cause so gave up & took it to a guy. The pickup wire was broken & it took a slight unwind to isolate that, then resolder and it finally was OK, for real.

Good luck Bones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.