Here's a forgotten nineties alternative band and they're actually still around.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

*awkward pause*

Anyway, here's probably my fav Live song.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think one of the stinky things, that the music press did, was to start asking these guys how they compared to U2 and REM and Nirvana and so forth. Right away. These guys would've been better off playing shorter tours, at smaller venues, and to cement some lifelong relationships with their would be fans.

The music was all right, but it looked right away like Arena Mega-Shows and blockbuster hit songs was to be the focus. This is actually NOT the essence of entertaining - I don't think.

I kept waiting for the guys to scale back and try to connect with me - they never bothered. There were already a sizeable passel of newish bands I liked better, who had also been afflicted with this "Too Good for Small Venues" virus that cripples so many modern bands.

The automotive analog, to this band "Live" in 2021 is something like this:

[​IMG]
    Clearly, somebody out there wants this. Just not me.

I'd rather see Live than Nickelback or Harry Connick, Jr., I suppose, but this is just not saying enough.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

OLP

Whatizitman likes this.
  4. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

They were never my cup of tea. From what admittedly little I had heard back then, they seemed too earnest or pretentious. Glad you found something you love though.

5. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I've seen the band in concert twice now. Pretty decent shows, lots of energy. I saw Ed when he was doing his solo tour thing... it was ok. Watching him sing about placentas with a bunch of 25 year old musicians who weren't even walking the planet at the time of Throwing Copper's release seemed wrong. His solo acoustic stuff was forgettable.

IMO Ed's spirituality got pretty weird and ruined the band's song writing chemistry. The music always had an element of social commentary, but early on they sounded dark and angsty. Ed eventually just sounded preachy to me. They suffered from an identity crisis after "The Distance To Here." After that they did that soundtrack for "The Mummy" which was alright but the album "V" that follow was pretty darn strange. I'm going to just pretend that "Birds of Pray" album and the one after it didn't exist. lol

Now Ed Kowalchek is back. From the clips I've seen of him performing, he looks miserable. It was a little bit like watching Sam and Dave performing together. I've seen interviews with him where he just looks totally over the rockstar thing. I probably wouldn't go see them again. I think Ed has long lost his fire, but the rest of the guys are still apparently doing their thing.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Lightning Strikes still kinda gives me chills.
    I bought the album at the time, couldn't ever learn to like anything else on it.

7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

It's always fun to rediscover a band from your past, I do it all the time.

As for Live, I think they were forgotten because their music was forgettable. At least for me, Live falls right in line with a bunch of similarly forgettable middle-of-the-road groups from the early 90s like the Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows, Collective Soul, Toad the Wet Sprocket, etc...

That's just my proverbial 2 cents of course, and I'm glad that you still enjoy their music and find it inspiring.

bender66 likes this.
  8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

live and OLP are bands i still listen to today!

9. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

Hey! is that Freedom Rawk!??

I have a vague recollection of having a hard time differenterating Live from Teh Spin Drs.
    and the fratbruhz trying to form mosh pits at their respective gigs.

Shorter but more timeless post I could have gone with:

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Throwing Copper was a fun album when it came out. I got a big cardboardish pic of that album cover from the record store I worked at. But it just didnt hold up like others do/did. I heard a song on our stores overhead a few weeks back. It had been a long time & i had to stop & make sure i was hearing it.

I saw them headline with PJ Harvey opening. POLLY JEAN HARVEY? They couldnt come close to following that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.