Here's a challenge - what speaker is this?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 84GTIRookie, May 21, 2020.

1. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

This speaker is from an old Califone turntable (think 1960's/1970's elementary school) with detachable speaker cab. Actually sounds pretty good. Not a ton of bass, and perfect for rolling off the high end of the tele on bridge pickup.

Based on the frame, it might be a tell-tale sign of who made it? Any thought on specs? It is 12" 8ohm. Thanks!
    upload_2020-5-20_22-3-14.png
    upload_2020-5-20_22-5-19.png
    upload_2020-5-20_22-6-3.png

radiocaster likes this.
  2. Dano-caster

Dano-caster TDPRI Member

Matches Utah speakers seen on Reverb.

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking Pyle, because of the 4 "dots" on the middle of the mag structure. I've only seen that on Pyle speakers, doesn't mean it can't be something else. No codes on the frame?.
    Al

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am thinking Utah, as well. Utah is intertwined with Pyle. It was started by a ?Francis? Pyle...my memory is not very good. Mr. Pyle also had a company named Pyle, which later took Utah over. Something like that.....
    !!! That Caliphone unit !!! What is under the hood. I have an older one which came without the lid and speaker.rectifier, single EL84, and a 7199 doing preamp and driver service. Killer amp. I run it into a reconed Rola 12” that is housed in an old ‘schoolhouse’ speaker cab....if you are old enough you know what it is, right? Nicely curved natural wood thing. Bad rig! And loud enough to amaze people as to being a single-ended amp mak8ng maybe 5 watts. I moved the tone control from the phono circuit to the microphone circuit. No other mods were necessary according to what I like. What goes on in that unit, 84gtiRookie?

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Didn't some of the Califone boxes use the Jensen Delta Series DL120's?

Obviously his isn't.

6. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Very cool box and speaker!

7. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

To answer your questions. There are no identifying codes what so ever on the speaker. It's likely they got painted over by Califone? Yes, the frame looks like the Utah's you referred to from Reverb. Seems likely. WALLY - In regards to what the turntable has to offer, I have not taken it apart to look. I'm not a turntable expert, but of the 3 or 4 old ones I've tried (all school issues! ha!), this sounds the best. Sweet, old school, lo-fi sound. I will tear into it some day. I also have an old Rola Co. 12" alnico speaker - one that is in it's original Hammond Reverb cabinet. I repurposed a Hammond AO-29 for guitar amp this past winter and found the speaker to match (if you look at my recent posts you'll find pics of amp, speaker, and cab). I think the speaker sounds amazing, such a nice deep rich tone, but with that amazing alnico sound quality, and an amazing feel when you play it.

Wally likes this.
  8. Wally

Rookie, here is my unit...a 12M. I removed the turntable...no need for old turntables in my world. The rectifier here is a 6X5.
    The speaker is housed in that wall hangI got unit. Neat little trap door for access to the tubes.

C98BEC00-C3E3-496B-A83F-1B9F2F317E98.jpeg 236401FE-04CA-44E6-ACFA-63CC7A90DEA3.jpeg

Bendyha likes this.
  9. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

That's a cool one, definitely more old school than mine. What year is it from? You got me thinking about mine. I've not wanted to crack it open cause we still use it for Xmas records & old vintage records, and I know if I look inside I'll start thinking about moddin' it into a guitar amp!

10. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

That's a cool one, definitely more old school than mine. What year is it from? You got me thinking about mine. I've not wanted to crack it open cause we still use it for Xmas records & old vintage records, and I know if I look inside I'll start thinking about moddin' it into a guitar amp!

11. Wally

Rookie, by the EIA code on the OT, I am going to think tis 7nit was built in late 1959 or early 1960. The date part of that code is ‘939’, and I am going to think that 1969 would be a bit too late for tube tech....but I could be wrong. The best date I can come to for the 6X5 is Dec, 1970???? The date code on the 7199 does not compute??? However, the made-in-Austria Amperex 6BQ5/EL84 has a 68 39 code, which I take to mean the 39th week of 1968? So...the unit could be from late 1969????.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Utah but yeah there is another brand with those slots, CTS maybe. Based on small magnet I would say maybe 20-25 watts.
    99% it's Utah, seen them in that blue before too. Tons of pics on google.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. Wally

Rookie, looking at few Caliphone on the ‘net, I am thinking that you have a solid state unit there. I wish this one had come with the lid...even if the speaker were missing the lid would complete the carry case.

14. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

Now you got me thinking. I'm gonna have to crack it open and see what's inside!

Wally likes this.
  15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had some old Utah speakers years ago and they were that color. I think I sold them as they were low wattage and I didn't have any use for them, cool looking cabinet!

16. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Rookie, very cool, it looks great. A fan of phonograph conversions all were old school phonographs, have taken out the turntable parts. Left a Newcomb pp6v6 sold off. Center se el84 with 6x5 rec...killer amp, has a voice switch that is the fataeness for warm round woody jazz, or just crank for instant keef; gave it to a young slinger. Right is a se6L6, came with black plates and telefunkens, a tad of bench time...a tweed princeton on steroids

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  17. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

Those capture what it's all about! It's funny, but the history in them brings out the best in your playing to get the old school sounds and vibe out of them!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.