Here’s a weird one. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Diverted, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

a friend of mine gave me a ‘66 Deluxe Reverb that was original. It needed an electrolytic cap job and a going over. I played it on my bench for days using a Reverb spring I keep in my shop. All is well, everything great. Put the chassis back in, plugged in the original tank and played. Reverb signal WAY lower. Put my tank back in, Reverb fine again.

So, I know tanks are just coils and transducers and values won’t drift as in resistors. But the old tank is seriously cold. What do you think? Have you heard of cold Reverb tanks? Just a bad one from the factory? It’s been in there 50 years.
    I’m going to give him my spring.

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

the driver coils in in the tanks can fail also the transducers can fail you should be able to replace the spring assembally with a new one , but keep the old one incase you wish to put the amp back to original state. 66' to 2020 is 54 years thats a lot of thumping that amp around, so its no surprize it had issues,
    I had to replace the tank in a fender Jam SS amp because some knob tried to get the amp drunk by pouring a beer into it some how the circuit fried and the spring tank bit it as well as a lot of other parts , I replaced the tank and it now rocks ( along with all of the chips . input jacks , re traced the solder traces for ground etc)

long story short yes it can happen

Diverted likes this.
  3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing to say after 50 years springs are not going to sag, the slug in the transducer gap may no longer be centered.

Diverted likes this.
  4. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Thanks. Have never seen this before so it surprised me.

5. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

If you know the numbers are identical (4AB3C1B), I'd measure the transducers, and touch up the solder connection while you're at it. I have seen those teeny-tiny wires barely hanging on the RCA jack. All else being equal, there really isn't much to go wrong. Use a low-ohm meter, you'll get a reading of something like 20-30Ω on the input connection, and 200-250Ω on the output connection.
    Oh, sometimes the slug going into the transducer will like to come loose at the spring connection. Then.......... :cry:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.