1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Here’s a demo that I’ve been working on.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by speedy mcfeely, Mar 22, 2020.

1. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

Tell me what you think?

tah1962 likes this.
  2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

A 2 minute 34 seconds 'intro' was bit tough to endure, IMHO. Cut the 'intro' to 10-20 seconds and you have a foundation to build upon.

3. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i skipped through but it sounds pretty cool. I mean this as a compliment- It sounds like it could be playing behind an action scene in a classic action movie. My advice is cut it to about 3 minutes though

4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny, I had the opposite reaction to FenderGuy53. I really liked the start, the instrumentation and arrangement was interesting. I particularly liked the female vocals. But, guitar solos tend to bore me (not yours in particular, just in general). I like a lot of electronic and industrial music and a lot of that is repetitive, but the same 4 notes over the whole thing was a bit much. If it were my song, I'd like to hear some singing over it and some melodic changes, with smaller guitar lead parts in between the singing for example. The end vocal manipulation reminded me of Jarre's Zoolook album, which is one of my all-time favourite albums. Overall I liked it a lot.

speedy mcfeely likes this.
  5. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Very cool! As Adjason mentioned, I too felt it had that "action/disaster movie" feel to it !!

tah1962 and speedy mcfeely like this.
  6. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

Thanks, I’ve been into a lot of soundscape and repetitive electronic music lately. It seems to help me to focus or to meditate on a thought or feeling. The Zoolook record is dope. One of my faves as well. I also really like Jakub Zyrecki, Explosions in the Sky, and Caspian.

Steve 78 likes this.
  7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool, I haven't heard of those, I'll have to check them out. I love Jarre of course, but have also been listening to Tangerine Dream, Eno and Klaus Schulze for the older stuff and Carbon Based Lifeforms and just random Retrowave compilations on youtube for newer stuff.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

If it were me, I'd quantize everything precisely to the beat. If it were live instrumentation, then we'd expect sync issues because people are not computers. But with electronic samples being played, they need to be synced up to the beat. The xylophone (I think that's what it is) stands out and being out of sync. Other than that I like it.

tah1962 likes this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 on the comments above by @3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  10. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

You could go a few musical directions with it. I agree the structure is drawn out. Shortening sections, losing some instrumentation to create space. The dirty guitar takes ages to enter and then it’s like a chatty neighbour who won’t stop. The backing vocals sound like straight out of Logic Pro, smooth and clear when maybe you want industrial and dirt? Your playing is good but perhaps play less and keep the crowds wanting more! :cool:

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Nice, catchy groove.

Production quality is excellent.

I really like that weird vocal thing at the end.

It's actually quite addictive and has a lot going for it. Is that a real female voice? If it is... MORE OF HER!

Anyway, like @adjason pointed out it would make a good soundtrack for a movie or something, but (and I really mean this as constructive criticism) if you want it to be a more successful stand-alone piece it seems like it needs something else. I'm not going to tell you what that something else should be, but, besides that weird vocal thing, it's fairly predictable.

So, more "Emerson, Lake and Palmer" and less "Miami Vice Soundtrack" is what I'd suggest.

Otherwise, I really like it - and would probably love it if that female vocal part was expanded in a sensually interesting way. You don't need a lot of words, just a sweet pouty girl with few clever lines and you got an instant hit!

Good Job!

`

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  12. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I immediately envisioned the closing credits scrolling on an 80s movie. It brought me back to the days of pausing the vcr to read the cast and credits. Now I don’t even watch the credits because I’ve already Googled everything.

Nice job

13. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Would love for you to tell us the tools you used to create this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.