Herbie Hancock and Head Hunters

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 1, 2004.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Any body still listen to this album? Granted, it's not for everyone. It was released when I was a kid, but my dad was a huge Herbie fan and used to play the record all the time, so it's just instilled into my blood. I love the fact that he purposely did not have a guitar for that project.

Anyone know any specifics on Herbie's equipment and setup for Chameleon? Specifically the opening synth riff (which is not a bass)?

2. Steve McGinnis

Steve McGinnis Tele-Afflicted

I listen to it

I bought it for the first time about a year ago, love it! I don't know any specifics on Chameleon gear, I know I went through about 4 envelope filters trying to get my bass in the same general area (I know he was keys).

3. Ptrallan01

Ptrallan01 Tele-Holic

Yes he was keys

But there is a bass on the cut played by Paul Jackson. I loved this album as a teenager, it was a toss up who to listen to Weather Report Mysterious Traveler, Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow, Ramsey Lewis Sungoddess or this. Weather Report worked better with the ladies so that was more often the choice.

Peter

4. John Harrison

John Harrison Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Saw Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters open for Van Morrison, at the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium (2nd row!), back in the early 70's. Mind boggling!

5. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

Bruce, according to SynthMania.com ("The Internet premiere resource for keyboardists and tech-heads"), Herbie played an ARP Odyssey to get the opening "bowwm-bowwm-bowwm-bowm bowm bowm bowwm-bowwm-bowwm-bowm bowm bowm" cool, pseudo-bass riff on "Chameleon." The Odyssey was ARP's answer to the Minimoog.

(Scroll down the list and listen to the various .mp3s of very famous, even clichéd keyboard/synth tones, including "Chameleon"; it's pretty cool. ;) )

I'll be using my venerable, trusty Moog Opus 3 come the night of September 9 to get a reasonably good facsimile of the opening and ostinato bass line in "Chameleon," as performed by the Sugar Shakers. (Bruce, are you positively sure you don't like the group name "BBQ Sammich and the Cole Slaw Kings"? :lol: :p )

Joel

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Ah!......the elusive Joel Terry has popped his head back into the realm of the living!

Joel...I am so pumped up that you're going to bring your Moog. MAN! I'm getting excited about this gig. You guys are absolutely the best band that I've ever played with. And you haven't even had the pleasure of playing with Alfons. Very groovey guy.

BBQ Sammich will be the name of the ZZTop tribute band. How's that? Now we just need to find a drummer to do it.

7. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

Bruce--you're not the only one pumped. The second you put "Chameleon" into the set list, I knew I had to bring along the Moog. And I can't wait to play with Alfons--he gets your prime endorsement, and that speaks volumes to me.

Man, I'm unspeakably proud and pumped to be able just to get on the stage with you guys, Bruce. Like Jaco Pastorius once said, "Man, I'm just backing the real cats, you know?" ;)

Joel

8. sticko

sticko Tele-Meister

They don't call it the Bluff City for nothin'
    I like this Herbie record best!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.