1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hendrix's special guitar mods...Play like Jimi!(?)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by oldmark, Sep 9, 2011.

1. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

link: http://jasobrecht.com/jimi’s-woodstock-setup/

Jimi Hendrix's white guitar used ar Woodstock was kept in a closet by Mitch Mitchell for several decades.
    Jimi's special mods = one.
    He had reversed the nut to let him play a right handed guitar left handed.That was it.

He evidently also used standard Fender strings (9's)-a pack was found in the case of another of his guitars after his death. His amp and pedals used at Woodstock are listed in the article, but I'm going with this idea-Jimi's tone was in his hands and his brain. People do not realize that he recorded many of his songs using other than Strats, and the tone is very similar..I can't tell the difference.

article on Hendrix's black Strat:http://www.univibes.com/BlackStrat.html

Note that the Strat in the first article was a standard '68 fat head with the added maple fingerboard, NOT a favorite collector's guitar.

It was all him.

mark

2. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorite Hendrix recordings is the twelve-string acoustic version of Hear My Train a-Comin'. You can definitely tell he had his own style.

Tone? Now that's another matter entirely and much of it had to do with being very adventurous with electronics.

3. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

Huge Jimi fan here and I couldn't agree more, Mark, that his tone is in his hands. I think a lot of people think of Hendrix playing the National Anthem at Woodstock and think of him as using so many effects, but if you listen to a lot of his recordings - especially live - it's not true. And like you said, he used stock Strats. And though he used Marshalls live he recorded a lot through a variety of Fender amps.

I can't wait for all of this stuff to come out next week:
    http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/news/experience-hendrix-llc-legacy-recordings-launches-fourth-wave-releases-critically-acclaimed-jim

4. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

:eek:

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You wanna sound like Jimi?

Get a Drummer who plays like Mitch Mitchell.
    You'll get a lot more compliments on your 'killer tone'. Believe me!

6. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

in actuality he flipped the whole guitar, which flipped the pickups, the angle of the pickups versus the strings, reversed the whammy bar position, and puts your volume and tone knobs above the bridge. That is a lot more than one simple little mod. Did it change his tone, I doubt it. That twelve string, "Hear My Train," is one of my favorites also.

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Check this site out .. Wild Thing

I found a great video of Jimi here http://www.last.fm/music/Jimi+Hendrix/A+Musical+Legacy+-+Disc+3/Wild+Thing

I've been reading Cherokee Mist: The Lost Writings

The author does some speculation on the sound from Jimi's Strats.

He thinks that because the strings (and nut) are reversed, the stock angle of the bridge pickup caused the vibrations of the high and low E strings to react differently than on a stock Strat. It would be the same thing if you put a left handed Tele bridge on a Right handed Telecaster.

Something to think about while you are trying to come up with something (anything) to make you feel more comfortable with the fact that Jimi played better that you do, no matter what he played or what you play.:lol:

Lost_N_Austin

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

It was all him. And occasionally, a wah-wah pedal.

9. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I'm a huge Hendrix fan and I always thought that the most talented musician in the Jimi Hendrix Experience was Mitch Mitchell.

10. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm a lefty, and my '79 Strat is set up similar to the way Hendrix had his....

....I don't sound anything like him!!!:lol:

Jimi Hendrix was the reason I started playing guitar, I was hoping the right handed Stratocaster upside down/strung left handed thing would help me, but not so much!!:D

Maybe if I buy an Olympic white '68 with a maple board.....;)

Attached Files:

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not a mod, but rather, an adjustment.

Not sure how early he began doing this, but many pictures that I've seen have his pickups adjust almost flush with the pickguard.

I've done that with my Strat that I play when I want that "Wind Cries Mary" tone... and it's just about the single most effective thing that you can do with a Strat to get close to his tone (other than learning how to properly do the "Floyd Kramer" fret-hand hammer ons, a la Curtis Mayfield). Doing this with basic stock pickups works. The problem is that if you're wanting your Strat to be more versatile, you won't really have enough pickup output to do a lot of other things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rz350

Visually, this is the ultimate Strat for me- White body, White pickguard, Maple board, Large headstock with the large "Synchronized Tremolo" decal....

Attached Files:

13. TheGoodTexan

Very close to one of my best Strats. It seems to be an early 1980s (84?) American Fender 50s reissue. I'm not really sure though. I got it in the exact condition that is in, sticker, pickups, everything... just like this... for $450.

[​IMG]

Except that the back seems to be more of an homage to SRV:

[​IMG]

14. rz350

I love those '80's 50s reissues, a guy I know has one exactly like that...

Does that have a "V" shaped neck?

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mitchell was credited for being the first drummer to use jazz influences in a rock setting, which I think isn't the case.

Because the credit of doing so goes to THIS guy.
    [​IMG]
    Ginger Baker was already injecting Jazz drumming in a rock setting a full year before "Are you experienced?" came out. And frankly he did a much better job at it too.

Ginger Baker was asked in 2005 what his view on the Experience was and in his opinion Hendrix wanted to recreate Cream and he did so with two mediocre players. His opinion on Buddy Miles was much milder in tone, calling him a tour the force.

16. TheGoodTexan

To call Mitch and Noel "mediocre" is laughable. They were each every bit on par with their Cream counterparts, and were probably actually better options for Jimi because for the most part they didn't care to have 1/3 (or more) of the spot light, as was going on in Cream.

Of course Noel did become creatively frustrated a little later on, but it wasn't because he wanted more spotlight in the Experience. He wanted to do his own complete thing, independent of the Experience.

trancedental likes this.
  17. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

You have a good point, but Jimi made Buddy Miles sound good too.

T.

18. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well they weren't my words, they were Ginger Baker's

My own opinion on Noel and Mitch is generally positive but let's face it, Noel Redding never had that solo approach to his bass playing that Jack Bruce had and probably the best examples of bass playing on Jimi Hendrix' records was played by Jimi himself. ("All along the watch tower" and "1983" are killer showcases of Hendrix on bass)
    [​IMG]

19. TheGoodTexan

Oh I know. I knew you didn't say it. I've heard that from Baker before.

I have the same general opinion of Noel. But Mitch was badass, plain and simple.

20. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

I thought I read that Jimi also had the whammy bar bent up to allow deeper dives.

Was his trem the vintage six screw or two point knife edge mount?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.