"Hendrix is like Beethoven"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by omahaaudio, Sep 28, 2021.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

While in general, I agree with Nigel, and I do have a couple of his recordings ( Yes, 'Four Seasons' is amongst them ), Jimi was no Ludwig or Johann.
    A lot of classical musicians do enjoy rock and jazz, just as rockers and jazzers enjoy classical. There's something musically wrong with people who find nothing in Beethoven or J.S Bach, just as there is with those who fail to find merit with musicians like Jimi, Duke, Miles, Ornette et al.
    It's all music to me. If Jimi hadn't been smothered to the extent he sought chemical escape, who knows what he would have brought. He was an intelligent man with a keen ear and ideas he needed cooperation to develop.

All the above is the rambly opinion of a veritable nobody. Drink plenty of water to flush the handful of salt taken with the above.

2. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

Apples to oranges.

3. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I like Nigel, but I do think he's a bit of a cheery mess of contradictions. He's a populist, who argues that the mass market has much better taste and discernment than it's given credit for - and yet he also needs to shock people.
    Personally, I would have liked to hear his proposed programme but I'm doubtful that an argument that tries to compare Bach with Hendrix is going to shed much light on either.

4. Opt_234

Opt_234 Tele-Meister

never got all the hendrix praise

he had some good songs and was a good player. but ive never heard or seen anything that put him ahead of any of his contemporaries of the time and in fact i'd say jeff beck of even clapton were better technically and from a songwriting standpoint

hendrix had a good ear for chords and rhythm for sure, but I never got the "greatest guitarist of all time" stuff

5. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Didn't Hendrix and Handel live together at one point?

VintageSG and StevesBoogie like this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if they think that's bad, wait til they get a load of where albeniz or tarrega got their stuff from.

i don't think hendrix' compositions are anything to write home about, but the classical musical establishment has spent a long time digging its own grave IMHO.

7. VintageSG

There was a time when Lemmy was a live-in with Jimi too. Does that house feature two blue plaques or three?

8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Ya ever play a snare drum?

You know, that rhythm thing. Take a snare and hi-hat, make them swing/syncopate/etc like any great jazz drummer.

No **** like that in classical music, at all, and it's high level rhythmic thinking. Not the trite adherence to silly things like time signatures etc. Great rhythm is a high art and in the blues tradition some of the best cats approached their playing like a swing drummer would.

Folk that can't hear that and can't hear the deep **** Hendrix was playing out in his long form tunes are just rhythmically deaf. It's a feel, a massive feel and it's as sophisticated musically as sitting around mulling over melodies/changes. Most free thinking serious disciples of Jazz I've met & studied with are also Hendrix fans for good reason.

I feel like we're forcing musical regression down people's throats.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  9. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Classic FM has prohibited innovation and creativity at Royal Albert Hall by determining what is appropriate for the audience
    sounds like a failing business model

10. VintageSG

Classic FM plays the popular/populist pieces, or fragments thereof. You can guarantee that the only Tarrega they play is the John Williams interpretation of 'Alhambra...' Nice though it is, it is every day. Every day, Holst's 'Jupiter', rarely any other planet gets a look in. Every day, 'Jupiter'
    'Pictures At An Exhibition' may as well be reduced to 'The Great Gate At Kiev' You get the idea.
    It's not dissimilar to classic rock commercial radio during the day. It does get more interesting come eventime, but they are a business and to please their advertisers, they must appeal to the 95th percentile most of the time.
    They do sponsor concerts and festivals, which is nice. They do promote new talent, but the cage is gilded. That talent must play the populist pieces.

However, there are segments that are truly worth a listeners time. The series they did on Beethoven on his 250th Ann. was a work of genius and a labour of love. Fifty programs, each an hour long. The detail and passion it brought had me listening with rapt attention. Available as a series of podcasts for download now. Worth it.

In terms of FM radio in the UK, there's Classic FM and Radio 3, with 3 being a BBC station and rather more highbrow. My FM time is divided between Classic FM, R3 and R4.

Advertisers want safe.

loopfinding and tanplastic like this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

what i think is funny about a lot of classical programming is that they're afraid to take "risks" but lose audience members by either thinking everyone not in the world of classical is a total rube or wimp, or that it will upset the dwindling conservative fans who attend concerts.

maybe i live in a bubble, but most of my friends who listen to general fare "NPR indie" and are not particularly music heads either know of or can stomach stuff from glass, reich, riley, pärt, etc., either through their influence on popular music or from movies. none of that stuff is as hard to digest as even schoenberg. but you hardly see it in programming. i think the last reich event i saw pop up in NY sold out in about a week...when does a classical concert that isn't like the nutcracker ever do that?

the most modern you ever get is like "la mer," or the firebird, or the occasional random bone thrown with a short schoenberg or webern piece. before wqxr got demoted to a lower power station, i hardly heard anything past 1950 something unless it was some regressive milquetoast contemporary that no one in the general population has any reason to care about. OTOH a composer like branca just by virtue of sonic youth has had more influence in the last 40 years than anything pushed by the classical music establishment in that timeframe.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.