1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hendrix - Are You Experienced - An Observation...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rsclosson, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Until he came to England, where he was well funded, hit the big time fast, and became the highest paid stage performer of the time. Hey Joe (1966) reached no.6 but he made more money gigging on stage than he did from records.

2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the music biz has come full circle...

3. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

YOU'RE OUT OF TUNE!

YOU'RE OUT OF TUNE!

THIS WHOLE FORUM IS OUT OF TUNE!

[​IMG]

4. mal paso

mal paso Banned

:lol:

love that movie

5. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

You just can't have the "Jimi dimension" and perfect A440.

He made sure of that by never doing it.

6. dada

dada Banned Troll

You have to evaluate Hendrix in the context of the times. Nobody had done what he was doing ever. His stuff came out of nowhere and turned our heads upside down. That alone puts his music and playing in a different arena than any other acts of the time.

7. dblues

dblues Tele-Afflicted

I think there's a lot of truth to this but if I was born after 1960 and didn't "get" Jimi I don't think I would be convinced by that argument. Because so many guitarist have walked through the doors he opened since then, it may be hard for some to grasp the impact he had. Everyone had to, no wanted to, play different after they heard him.

I never knew about his problems with being in tune until a few years back. Still don't really notice when I listen to him. Maybe he thought the diatonic scale was out of tune, I don't know.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Many years ago I heard a live jam with Jimi that had been recorded. I forget all the details about it but , wow, did it stink. I mean his playing was no better than a typical Sat. afternoon blues jam. Sloppy, not particularily inventive, out of tune standard blues rock licks. A real trainwreck. So even Jimi had bad days. So the next time you think "I'd be happy to play as good as one of Jimi's bad days", well, you already probably can.:D

But when he was magic, and he was a lot of the time, no one could touch him.

9. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

From what I've read, JH was a perfectionist in the studio. All Along The Watch Tower was 40 something takes. The bass player was worn out and went home so JH recorded the bass lines too (on a right handed bass BTW).

Edit: 20 takes not 40.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:)

Yeah, well it hit me like a fist to somewhere else, I can promise you.

I heard that guy in concert, and I realized on the ride home, man I can NOT play the guitar.

Serious wake up call, that was. :oops:

+

Btw, I had listened to some of this foreign and avant garde music my Dad loves and I just accepted the notes as Jimi played them. As far as I was concerned, they were perfect and if there was something amiss, it was the conventional Western way of organizing notes, tones. Think about it: NOBODY here knew what was going to happen next. The old constructs of music were hanging by a thread, it seemed. The whole world was about to be reborn. I mean, basically what Hoopermazing has already succinctly said.

11. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

That sums it up for me right there.

12. Cheesehead

I think he gets this reputation from one recording - Star-Spangled Banner at Woodstock.

So much of his body of work is not effects laden. Check out the Experience box set. Strat into a Plexi (or various Fenders) and maybe a Fuzzface for the most part. And brilliant playing.

13. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Jimi used Fender Bassmans a lot in the studio. Both Voodoo Chile and Slight return are Fender Bassmans.

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Not sure about that. I grew up on the guy and wore out a couple of BetaMax tape docos of him. Seems like, if he didn't have a suitcase of pedals, you'd hear how out of tune, how bad he could sound, and how sloppy he could be. That never stopped Page either though...

As to his influence, I'm not denying it, but there were far more people not into guitar born before 1960, that thought he was nothing but a wall of noise and a crap singer too, and he had zero effect on their lives.

While he influenced a lot of players, they all drew influences from all over, stole and borrowed from each other, and from those less likely to become big names. Clapton soaked up all styles from many players. Roy Buchanan springs to mind [Beck, Clapton, Richards and others were in awe of him too]. Buchanan saw Hendrix and was impressed. Then went and recreated most of his sounds. Without any pedals. I'm somehow more impressed by that. But outside of guitar forums (where I found him) Roy may as well never have existed.

15. Cheesehead

Yep, one of my favorite tones (and tunes)!

16. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup, The Beach Boys, Motown, The Beatles, etc. all took a back seat from my perspective upon the arrival of Jimi. They're all great but Jimi was the man.

17. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

I was born in 1963, and I can kneel and pray to the path Jimi carved out. I think I was 7 or 8 when the Beatles broke up, and I remember Jimi's death on the news as well....

I also had a guitar in my hands by then.

I consider myself an odd exception to the 1960 rule.

18. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Man...I remember exactly where I was & what I was doing & how I felt when the news about Jimi came over the AM radio. I was about 20. And you guys are nitpicking every darned thing he did?

Well, go for it. Some people don't dig Hendrix, some people hate the Beatles, some people hate about everything...but don't waste your time trying to reason 'why' you don't dig him. You don't dig him because you don't.

19. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Miles Davis wanted to play with Jimi, via Gil Evans. Two other guys who were IN THE ZONE..
    Listen to how Miles was "in tune".

20. TC III

TC III Tele-Meister

Best part is half these guy's who bag on Jimi, listen to the "new" music, a.k.a written by a songwriting team, presented to said "puppet" ahemm I mean "artist", then the music is composed for them either with them present or not, or their music is molded to fit their "genre", then come's hours of overdubs, auto-tune, and pitch/tempo changes due too musicians who cant play, unless they hired session guys to rework it or just sit in, super common with no credits given. Yeah love modern "rock", a band of guys recording an album in different states from each other, using technology as musicianship. But their in tune right? Or at least their auto-tuned there, lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.