Helping me understand this wiring diagram?

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
1657143043055.jpeg

Hey guys, so I got this wiring diagram along with the pre-wired control plate, and I’m pretty confused about the push-pull in the middle. It’s wanting a middle pickup with 5(?) wires, while mine only has 3. Will I be able to do a series/parallel config with only 3 wires in my middle pickup?

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
It appears to be trying to switch a middle humbucker to operate in series (normal humbucker style) and parallel (still hum-cancelling but sounding a bit more single-coil-ish) so you will need a 4-wire (+ shield) pickup. The 4 wires give you access to each end of each coil - you need that to switch between series and parallel.

I take it the idea is normal 3-way switching on bridge and neck and a blend control to mix in the middle pickup..?

Last edited:

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
It appears to be trying to switch a middle humbucker to operate in series (normal humbucker style) and parallel (still hum-cancelling but sounding a bit more single-coil-ish) so you will need a 4-wire (+ shield) pickup. The 4 wires give you access to each end of each coil - you need that to switch between series and parallel.

I take it the idea is normal 3-way switching on bridge and neck and a blend control to mix in the middle pickup..?
Yes, that’s the idea for the wiring, but it was sold on the idea that you could put the middle pickup in series with either of the other two pickups. I’m not very knowledgeable on wiring so I wasn’t sure how that would work

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
So, did some digging on that particular kit from 920D and it’s modeled after the Brent Mason Nashville, which has a hot rails in the middle. His actual signature guitars always have a mini humbucker in the neck as well, but that’s irrelevant.

Anyways, I think you would ignore the red and green wires in the diagram? It might actually be that simple, but I might be looking at it wrong. Duncan single coils do white=hot, black=ground and then the 3rd wire grounds the baseplate.

Their humbucker wiring colors are reversed, so you’d actually do the opposite of what the diagram tells you.

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
So, did some digging on that particular kit from 920D and it’s modeled after the Brent Mason Nashville, which has a hot rails in the middle. His actual signature guitars always have a mini humbucker in the neck as well, but that’s irrelevant.

Anyways, I think you would ignore the red and green wires in the diagram? It might actually be that simple, but I might be looking at it wrong. Duncan single coils do white=hot, black=ground and then the 3rd wire grounds the baseplate.

Their humbucker wiring colors are reversed, so you’d actually do the opposite of what the diagram tells you.
So I just need to swap the black and white wires? As of now I can only get the middle pickup to be on in one of the two configs. If I leave the push-pull down then the middle pickup is off.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, that’s the idea for the wiring, but it was sold on the idea that you could put the middle pickup in series with either of the other two pickups. I’m not very knowledgeable on wiring so I wasn’t sure how that would work
Well, it just isn't doing that... It's switching the middle humbucker between series and parallel.

Are you saying that what you want is effectively to have the normal 3-way switch to select B, B+N, N and the blend pot to mix in the Middle pickup, but the push-pull switch decides whether it is blended in parallel or in series with what the 3-way selects?

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
Well, it just isn't doing that... It's switching the middle humbucker between series and parallel.

Are you saying that what you want is effectively to have the normal 3-way switch to select B, B+N, N and the blend pot to mix in the Middle pickup, but the push-pull switch decides whether it is blended in parallel or in series with what the 3-way selects?
That’s what I foolishly thought it did hahaha. Is that even possible with the configuration that I have?

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
Sorry for the bad advice earlier, I wasn’t really awake when I was looking at this the other day. Anyways, their website says “The Push / Pull function on the knob switches the middle pickup from Parallel to Series” but doesn’t say it makes it run in series with the other pickups.

3 single coil in series wiring is hard to come by. I spent days and days searching for my own purposes and ended up having to buy a 10 way freeway switch.

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
Sorry for the bad advice earlier, I wasn’t really awake when I was looking at this the other day. Anyways, their website says “The Push / Pull function on the knob switches the middle pickup from Parallel to Series” but doesn’t say it makes it run in series with the other pickups.

3 single coil in series wiring is hard to come by. I spent days and days searching for my own purposes and ended up having to buy a 10 way freeway switch.
Interesting. Would I be able to run N+B in series via the push pull? I have a 4-way switch as well but that would make the push pull useless

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
Hmmm... not sure tbh... might need too many switching poles... will let you know if I manage to work it out!
Like I mentioned to Carcinogen, I’m willing to take Neck+Bridge in series if the push-pull will allow me to do that. I’m just not very well versed in electronics

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
Updated Question: Could I use the “Down” of the Push-Pull for the middle pickup blend, but have the “Up” position be N+B in series?

I’m under the impression that the middle pickup would turn off when pulling up but I’d be alright with that I think.

I just can’t think of any other wiring options for the push-pull other than turning it into a 4-way

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Updated Question: Could I use the “Down” of the Push-Pull for the middle pickup blend, but have the “Up” position be N+B in series?

I’m under the impression that the middle pickup would turn off when pulling up but I’d be alright with that I think.

I just can’t think of any other wiring options for the push-pull other than turning it into a 4-way

I believe you have to use a blend pot to get the blend function from it.

Example

StewMac has a few diagrams pertaining to this that you may want to look at.