1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Helping a friend sell a strat...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tomnardozza, Apr 12, 2021.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    tomnardozza likes this.
  2. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

Misrepresented goods?

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

If that's for real I'd send pics to Joe B. I have no evidence, but I get the feeling he pays fair prices for what he finds.

On the off chance he didn't want to buy it he'd probably refer you to someone who would.

Torren61, dented and tomnardozza like this.
  4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't think I would craigslist that baby...I would contact some reputable dealers and sell it through them...gotta be somebody in your neck of the woods... maybe a road trip in your future to NYC or Nashville etc.

tomnardozza likes this.
  5. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I actually did reach out to his website

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

So, the frets are original and showing wear, correct? What kind of ‘attention’ does the neck pickup need? If it is dead, that is a hit. One wonders??? If all else is original and correct, the owner has a really nice guitar there, and it is worth some money, imho.
    I know what my bottom dollar would be if I had to sell it. I hope you luck with it.

Norm Harris? Yes, I have sold to him before. If one wanted to deal with the questions and the hassle, then Reverb.com or EBay gets you the exposure to the market. Get prepared....’needs attention’ is too vague of a description for a pickup that is not ‘correct’. If you have taken it apart, then you must already have the pics. Good pics detailing the pertinent points make it happen...shoot straight from the get-go. if you don’t want to bother with that aspect, then you have to leave room for the next sale to bring profit.
    Consignment fees can reach 30%. A dealer might offer straight cash close to that $50k minus a big consignment fee???
    Nice looking Strat.
    Does it have a small neck? V neck?

Torren61 and tomnardozza like this.
  7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I agree with selling on consignment with a reputable seller. There is just too many con artists out there. Counterfeit cashiers checks, you name it.

tomnardozza likes this.
  8. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I wasn't going to write the full description on here, just came for ideas, not to be shady or "not a straight shooter" Neck pickup is original but needs to be rewound, reading 200k. The frets are original and showing wear as well as oxidation. Probably needs a refret. I took many pics of everything.

dented and Wally like this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I was thinking that too. I was at the Baked Potato waiting to get in and I was talking to a guy in line. We started talking about guitars and sales and we started showing each other photos of our guitars. I quickly realized he was in a different scale of buying and selling than I was. He showed me a Les Paul that he just bought from Joe B. and he said that there are three or four friends that buy and sell with Joe in LA. So he does buy private party stuff. He's easy to get a hold of on Instagram. Post a photo and say call me.....lol

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

People are naturally suspicious of things that appear too good to be true. With the number of sometimes convincing fakes and money at stake many people will go to Norman's or Gruhns and willingly pay a premium knowing it's been certified by experts - when things like a changed pickup or pot can knock thousands off value.

Wally and tomnardozza like this.
  11. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone, all good points. I guess it would be best to sell on consignment with one of the heavy hitters

12. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You can contact Well Strung Guitars on Long Island. They appraised a bunch of my stuff. Good guys. They're the guys who used to run We Buy Guitars in NYC.

- D

13. Dacious

Does the neck pickup make no sound? If it does and you're measuring in situ that's probably your problem. You can measure some pickups in circuit, you're measuring the pot most likely.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Don’t let someone rewind that pickup without checking the solder joints....retouching them with solder. Let a good tech do that, or leave it as is, I suppose. I once sent a 1959 Strat pickup to Lindy Fralin for a rewind. He charged me $10 to learn that lesson. They reflowed the solder joints before tearing the pickup down, and that fixed it. I thanked him for his attention to details and his good service. Note: he no longer does rewinds. And we might be surprised at how much that volume knob might cost to get a good replacement. I have one that might come close to a match in color, but it will not be 1958 vintage.

Torren61, Dacious and tomnardozza like this.
  15. Dacious

Contacting Joe B directly also may pay off - but he's not going to pay top dollar either.

16. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I measured the pickup wire on the switch to ground

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes sir, there sure is.

tomnardozza likes this.
  18. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I told him leave it alone and take the hit, everyone buying one knows "the best" guy to rewind a pickup

Wally likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

If you really want to do your friend a favor, tell him to go to a professional that does this for a living. This is not the time for amateur hour.

Torren61, tomnardozza and clayfeat like this.
  20. Dacious

Does the neck pickup make sound plugged in?

@Wally is right - unretouched solder joints on a Strat is vital on an original unmolested piece if you want top dollar.

Your Strat is probably worth more with a funky neck pickup and worn frets if the rest is 100% as it came from Fender.

Don't even clean it. Don't wipe it down with anything but dry soft cloth.

Wally, Torren61 and tomnardozza like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.