Helped my neighbor rescue a kitten yesterday

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday when I got home from work and was walking my dogs, my next-door neighbor came over and pointed out a tiny calico kitten under his hedge. He asked if it was mine, or if I knew it was there. It was yowling constantly, and loudly. What a set of lungs.

He had been trying to secure it all day with no success. It had rained the night before and the cat was wet, terrified, and possibly in shock. He had actually heard it crying from inside his house.

After I got my dogs put away, I rejoined my neighbor outside to see if I could help. We quickly gave up on trying to catch her with our hands, she was just too quick.

I got a dip net out of my boat and we tried gently to catch her in it behind the hedges. Still no luck, and finally she bolted into his back yard and between two small sheds with only two possibilities for exit.

I stepped out of sight at one end of the gap but held the net, and my neighbor encouraged her into it. She remained still once in the net and I got my hand around her and tried to comfort her.

My neighbor produced a pet box and we got her safely inside, then agreed to put the word out for a home. He said he'd check with local shelters today, and he did find a lady to take her.
It all happened so fast I didn't think about taking a picture until afterwards.

Here's hoping she found a good home with a patient owner who will be kind.

I think it's easier to tame feral kittens, and I wish her the best!

I doubt she would have survived for long if we hadn't intervened. Kudos to my neighbor Charles for being determined to either help her, or get help for her.

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
Hello Kitty

1654608472314.png

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Life outdoors can be short when you're alone and a kitten. Sounds like you gave that one another chance.

In my area, feral cats are spayed/neutered, and then they notch an ear, so others know.

My niece-equivalent has one of these "second chance cats". He is a guest in our home when Pip travels. Vote yes on cat rescue.

Peace - Deeve

Attachments

• 20220523_193008.jpg
    20220523_193008.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220522_164108.jpg
    20220522_164108.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 34

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Life outdoors can be short when you're alone and a kitten. Sounds like you gave that one another chance.
So true. We have coyotes and foxes in abundance around the area, not to mention the probability that she could have been killed by a vehicle, or simple exposure to the heat.
She was thin but appeared in otherwise decent condition; no nasal discharge or obvious injuries.

I sure hope she makes it, she used up a couple of those nine lives already!

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Last summer we went to a baseball game. On the way home my 8yo son finds a tiny kitten. She was hungry and lost in a parking lot in an industrial area. We took her home. She gobbled down some Bojangles chicken on the way home. From the poop output we guessed she hadn't eaten in some time . Got her checked out and vaccinated.

After a week or two we started to introduce her to our 2yo momma (before we got her) cat. At first we thought our cat was going to kill her until I saw the tongue flash in the middle of what appeared to be a bad fight. Further observation confirmed. The kitten was being a brat, and eventually momma cat had to teach her how we behave in her house. Even during claws out biting fights (on the part of the kitten), our cat was just trying to groom her (and knock some sense into her, cat fashion).

But the wife sulked and seethed and made everyones life miserable until we rehomed her. Then tried to say it was my decision to do it. Me and the boy were both heart broken. Her new foster home said she's a sweet angel that never uses her claws (thanks momma cat - something rubbed off in that short time) but it kicked off months of behavior problems with our 8yo Asperger's son he's really only now getting over.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
All the cats I ever had were rescued feral kittens.

They always settled in well with us, but they were often not very friendly to anyone else. And some of them were murderous little psychos. But that's cats for you.
my cat was sitting on my lap earlier today and getting some pets, and I was thinking about how much of a serial killer he is and if it would offend his natural dignity if he knew how cute and fuzzy and soft people think he and is ilk are.

I decided it probably would.