Help?!?!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bjjrev, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Ok... I have the tele All bolted up! Now heres the problem... When I went to put on the low E string I noticed that the action was way low. So I looked up some info and decided that maybe the neck needed a shim. Well I shimmed the tuner side of the neck and now I have really high action 12th fret and lower and string buzz from nut till 4th fret. This is a brand new body with a used cv50's neck. Should I string it up then let it settle and see where in is in a day or two? Please help?!?!?!?!

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not a big fan of shimming, until you at least exhaust the other methods of attaining proper action. First, is the neck dead straight, or have slight relief. (center of the neck curves slightly away from the strings?) That's a truss rod adjustment. I like to get necks dead straight as a start, then use string tension and truss rod to dial in a little bit of relief. Second, are your frets level? It's a whole lot easier to make that determination if you have a straight neck to work with. Use a straightedge. You can stand a tiny bit of unevenness, but if you have some high frets, they may have to be filed down, dressed, and polished to avoid buzz. This is getting into some pretty serious, and dedicated-tool territory, so you might want to have a tech handle this for you. Next is nut slot height. A general rule of thumb is that the clearance for open strings coming off the nut over the first fret is the thickness of about 3 business cards thickness between the first fret and the treble strings, and 5 business cards thickness under the bass. This will get you in the ball park and can be fine-tuned to suit later. Since this is a used neck that came from another body, it may have been set very low (deeply filed nut slots) to suit the previous owner, on that other body, and may not work for you. I'm saying you may need to replace the nut, or shim it up (a poor choice, in my opinion, because you lose coupling and sustain). If you get what you want by shimming the nut, you probably need a new one. Then you adjust bridge height as high or low as you want it to fine-tune action and remove buzz, then last, intonate the guitar. I would remove the shim(s), check the neck pocket and neck to make sure their mating surfaces are flat, level, and mate up properly, screw the neck on, and tune to pitch, and as you suggest, let it sit a day or two. Then see what it does. It may be that you can get away with just increasing bridge height, to remove the buzz, if that does not make the action too high for you. But if not, I'd recommend the progression of steps above. I also highly recommend Dan Erlewine's books including Guitar Player Repair Guide, or How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great. Both books provide detailed steps for the above procedures, specifications, etc. I have seen them both discounted on Half.com. Good luck!

3. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

I would definitely check it with a straight edge. It could have a back bow.

4. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

How would that be corrected?

5. Turtleface

Turtleface Tele-Meister

Depends on the truss rod setup. Some can account for back bow, but I believe the majority of Fenders are set up to only correct a regular bow. A really good luthier may be able to correct back bow, not sure of the process, myself.

6. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

7. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Your first step is to remove the shim you put in and get the neck relief right. Then adjust your action using the saddles. Lastly you need to set the intonation.

8. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

But if I use the saddles won't it create a bigger gap on the higher frets? I'm buzzing on frets 1-4 now but action is high (in my opinion) on 12 -...

9. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

That is why I said to get the neck relief right.... Reread my post....

10. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

11. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Ok... Took the shim out and tried to adjust the bridge to the tallest position and still have fret buzz at the 1st fret. I also read an article that said that a misconception is that the truss rod is to adjust the action on a guitar. I'm starting to think that the nut is worn too much...

12. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Here's a few pics of where I'm at...

13. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

Backbow could be from the truss rod being adjusted too tight. If so it would
    just need to be loosened.

But as others have said, relief should be set first.

You can still check the nut height though, as relief will not affect the neck in
    the area of the first two frets in relation to the nut.

Press each string down between the 2nd and 3rd fret and check for a small
    amount of clearance between the 1st fret and string. It's normally only a few
    thousanths, so if there is any noticable clearance there at all, the problem is
    probably not the nut.

14. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

15. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

16. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

17. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

You only have one string on?

That's part of the problem. You need all six strings to get proper tension and bow
    in the neck.

18. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

19. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

20. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Ok cool... I'll throw the rest on and see where I'm at then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.