1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with wiring 2 humbuckers

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by deepSchmitt, Oct 30, 2020.

1. deepSchmitt

deepSchmitt TDPRI Member

Hello! I'm helping a buddy wire up his 2-humbucker Tele. He wants to use a 5-way switch and have positions 2 and 4 act as a kind of kill switch. So positions 1/3/5 would be bridge/both/neck. I have no idea why he wants to do this and I'm not even sure if it's possible. Could someone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!!

2. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you're going to get there with a standard 5-way, since it is really just a 3-way with extra stops added. I think you'll need a super switch.

3. 2manyteles

2manyteles TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I think you'd have to wire it so that position 5 is neck, 4 is both and 3 is bridge. Then the other two will be nothing- or maybe just 1 would be nothing.

4. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

I don't think it's going to work with a standard 5poor either. That's a new one for me.I think you are going to have to go a different route. I could be wrong. I just never seen or heard of that configuration before. How about a 3 hole control plate with a kill switch? That can be done, but I know some people object to that look. I love thse3 hole plates because you can get a lot of options on your Tele.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

It could work with a 4-way, with just one kill position. Otherwise, as has been said, you'd need a super switch.

If you go with a 4-way, I'd use position 1 or 4 as the kill position, otherwise it's going to sound weird when switching pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.