Help with vintage Jensen ID

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mountianjustice, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Mountianjustice

Mountianjustice Tele-Meister

I dont know much about them other than 12 inch wired in parallel and they are in a silvertone 1484 twin twelve cab. Ive played them with my homebrew 6BG6 single ended amp and they sounx great for what they are. Definetly not a modern sound at all. So what are they and are they worth much. The cab is about shot but has nice original grill cloth and badge. 20170905_195538.jpg

2. Mountianjustice

Mountianjustice Tele-Meister

Another pic 20170905_200650.jpg

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Vintage C12Q are starting to get more love. The low vol C12N has a special chime and breakup
    all it's own. As more and more low power amps are out there, these are being liked more and more.
    IMHO

4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    For a lower wattage setting these are some of the best, I'm really starting to be an older Jensen speaker fan. I picked up an old Silvertone with 4 1965 Jensen C10Q speakers that was almost like new. I put a pair in my Vibrolux Reverb and it sounds the best it has ever sounded. I just picked up a pair of 1965 C10NS Jensen's for cheap that need reconed.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those Jensen C12Q's were built in the 49th week of 1964. 220 = Jensen, '4' is the last digit of the year and has to be 1964, and the '59' is the week of the year. The red mark on the magnet indicates that they were original in a Silvertone amp. If that red mark were not there and if a person with a late '64/early '65 Fender DR or an early '65 Pro Reverb, then they would be worth more than they are with the red mark for some people.....because they would make such a vintage Fender 'correct' if that mark were not there. The red mark is well-known as a Silvertone thing and as such it would not make a Fender 'correct'.
    I say they are worth more in or with that amp than they would be worth out of it.

6. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

You are absolutely correct Wally on the speakers and the marks... one thing I'm not sure about though is worth more in the cab vs out of it. I sold 2 pairs for C10Q's out of a Silvertone amp in the last month with the common Silvertone markings. I got some good cash for them ($550 for the lot), they were like new though.

It's correct to say almost anyone seeing them in a Fender amp would know that they were not original, but if one is looking for vintage tone from a classic set of speakers in the era of an amp, then these would be speakers to pickup.

7. Wally

$112.50 per C12Q. For a match to make a valuable Fender correct, you might double that or more.
    top book value for an Exc and all-original Twin Twelve is $850-1030. Without those speakers, I would value the amp at half of that. The hit on the value is more than $225, imho. But....these days people are paying big money for amps that are nowhere near excellent and all-original condition....so I could be incorrect...again.

grolan1 likes this.
  8. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

9. Wally

I paid $240 for a 1963....220303....C15N for a certain amp.....and that was maybe 10 years ago.
    Everyone who hears the amp understands that it is a special amp, and the speaker helped make it that.
    Those C10NS work in a BF Vibrolux Reverb, right...as OEM? IF those speakers brings the value of an amp up from say $1400 to $2600, then $475 is not a bad price. But...we are talking date matching and everything for them to be worth that kind of money, imho. Otherwise, I am looking for a new speaker from Weber or Eminence.

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

I couldn't agree with you more... BTW the C10NS for $475 is just one speaker - so one would have to find another one as well for a BFVR. I have a pair of 1965 C10NS (C8284) that need reconed coming - paid $15 a piece for! Somewhat of a rare(er) speaker I'm told.

11. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

These are the early paper coil former 15 watt version of the C12Q. Many of these early Jensen's are in need of a re-cone as the glues that were used have broken down by now.

Fender never used the C12Q as an OEM in any of their amps. The C10P, in the ebay link above, has a repro Fender label on it and is, most likely, an organ pull.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  12. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Good eye there on the organ donor speaker - what makes you think the label is a repro, condition?

13. slider313

Yes, the condition of the label looks to be newer compared to the frame and the fact that the speaker was "front mounted", which Fender never did.

14. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Didn't catch the front mounted part but another look and you are so right!

15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have to agree with others. They would certainly not make a Fender amp "original" but are in high demand and worth quite a bit (as noted) "free" - and obviously kick up the value of the Silvertone by keeping it original.

And although "mods", refinishing/recovering and such on vintage amps is discouraged, in the case of speakers with rusty frames - take as much loose rust off as you can with a 3M pad (NOT any kind of steel wool and no sandpaper) - very lightly remove it from the magnet itself. Either carefully vacuum the dust or blow it out (but from a good distance - 2' or so to avoid hurting the cones). Then treat the rust with a simple oil. Fretboard oil, 3-in-1, doesn't matter - a light brush-on coat, enough to just to soak the rusted areas. This keeps out moisture, which is necessary to allow rust to spread. DON'T damage any of the codes!

Otherwise it'll just get worse.

slider313 likes this.
  16. slider313

Another note. Fender amps, from the blackface era, did not use blue frame Jensen's. The Oxford, CTS and Jensen's were all black frame speakers.

Silverface and grolan1 like this.
  17. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Does the red mark on the Silvertone speakers make them sound better or would they sound even better if they were in a Fender amp? :)

18. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

You're a funny guy.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.