Help with used Vox V847

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ziggy587, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Hey all. I had a gift card to Guitar Center so I decided to pick up a used Vox V847. I bought it from the Guitar Center website since a used Vox wah was not available at a local store. It just came in today and I immediately noticed something very strange about it. Hopefully I can explain it well enough.

The effect doesn't change the tone during the entire sweep of the pedal. By that I mean, when it's toe down it's full treble and as you rock the pedal back to heel down you hear the wah sweep as normal, but the last ~10% of the sweep the tone remains the same. If it's heel down, you can rock it forward slightly without the tone changing at all. The wah sweep doesn't start to change until you've rocked the pedal forward a little more. So there's a dead spot when the pedal is heel down where the EQ doesn't change at all.

A Vox wah was actually the first way I ever bought. I had an older model before they added the power jack. That's actually why I got rid of it for a Cry Baby. I've owned several Cry Baby wahs since then. It's been about 20 years since I've owned a Vox, but I DEFINITELY remember that the tone change was across the entire sweep range of the pedal. This is also how every what pedal that I've ever used works. This Vox that I just got is the new model with the power jack, but this just can't be the way the new Vox wahs work!

The pedal seems to work fine outside of this issue. I feel like maybe there should be more range on the bass side, but I've exclusively used Cry Baby wahs for the last 20 years so I can't be sure that this is just how it's supposed to sound.

Is there something wrong with my pedal? Pretty sure there is, but I just want to be sure before communicating with Guitar Center.

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

@Ziggy587 :

IMHO, simply check the rack and pinion and try to reposition them - if you did not done it already. It's what I would do first, reading your description.

-tbln.

telemnemonics and Ziggy587 like this.
  3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Thanks. That is actually the first thing I tested. However, I was only able to adjust it so that the "dead" 10% was toe down instead of heel down.

However, I just tried readjusting it again and now there appears to be a change in the tone for 100% of the sweep. I've adjusted the rack and pinion on a Cry Baby several times, and I'm aware that there's a "dead" spot on the top and bottom of the pot. The pedal doesn't sweep the entire range of the pot, only the a middle portion of it, and outside of that range does not affect the tone at all. Finding the correct position on a Cry Baby is easy to do. However, it appears it is not so easy to do this on a Vox. I guess the tolerance on the Vox is tighter, you really have to get to get it on just the right teeth!

It still seems like heel down could be more bassy, but maybe I'm just hearing the difference between a Cry Baby and a Vox?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Ziggy587 likes this.
  5. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

So thinking more about this... I received the pedal in a condition that was technically defective. Not that it didn't work at all, but it was definitely not working as it should. Someone at some point moved that rack, probably to lube it or clean it, and didn't put it back in the correct position. I'm guessing the previous owner did this. Which means the GC "tech" (I put in quotes because from my experience they don't always higher the most knowledgeable people as techs) simply hit the switch and checked that it went "wacka-wacka" and that's it. The tech probably couldn't be bothered to check it for more than 3 seconds. Even at just 5 seconds you would realize the problem it had. Also, it has some sticky residue, probably from a removed sticker or whatever. I've cleaned my fair share of sticker residue off of stuff, and I know this'll come off with ease. But that's not the point. Why couldn't GC spend two seconds to clean the sticky stuff off before selling it? I swear, no one takes the time to do a quality job anymore. No one cares to put any effort into anything they do. The bar has been lowered. If the tech spent a mere 5 more minutes with it, they could have had a satisfied customer. But as it came, I question why I continue to shop at GC. I guess only because I had a gift card. Will I buy more used gear from GC online? Probably only if I get stuck with another gift card.

/rant

Ah, yes, that old site! I actually still have a print out of that page from many years ago! I've tried every mod from that page on my oldest Cry Baby. I replaced that midrange resistor with different values so many times that I busted the solder pad. I think this may have been the first time I worked on a PCB, and how I learned to repair busted pads and traces LOL. I still have that wah, and consider it my "main" wah pedal. The vocal mod was always my favorite. I had a 100K in mine for the longest while. After trying this and that over the years, I finally settled on two mods.

In place of that 33k "vocal" resistor, I have a 100k pot. So I can crank the pot all the way up to 100k and get that very vocal sounding wah, or turn it down to approximately 33k to get a more stock sound. I could have thrown a 33k resistor in series with the pot so that you can't drop it down too low, but it's actually very interesting to turn it down below 33k. The effect gets very thin, all the way down to practically nonexistent. It's very interesting to mess around with, and can be used almost as a wet/dry or depth setting. The other mod I have in there's is a switch to select between a yellow and red Fasel inductor. I used a push style switch so I can kick it with the side of my shoe and not have to bend down to change the selection.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Are the correct original rubber bumper stops still in place at both ends of the throw?
    Aside from that and the centering of the pot I’d say a wah is what it is, I’m not sure I recall that being an issue but I would not be concerned with it and generally work the part of the throw I choose, not heel to toe to heel to toe.
    Are you playing a lot at the heel down setting?
    Not using more the middle f the sweep from as bright to as dark as you want to hear?
    It would not be musical to bang into the end stops over and over, right?
    I’m not understanding what the problem is with using it.

I’ve had many and vintage wahs but the basic 847 is my favorite.

7. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Yep, it has the correct rubber feet on it. It turned out to just be the rack and pinion, I had to adjust it to the correct position. It was actually the first thing I thought of, and immediately tried to adjust, but I was still having the same issue. But I fiddled with it some more and got it working as it should. I guess the rack and pinion on the Vox wah just has a lot tighter tolerance than what I'm use to on the Cry Baby.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.