1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with this sh*t Body !

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ghostdriver, Mar 15, 2020.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

you can look on the reranch site for fairly exhaustive, and somewhat exhausting, instructions on how to use spray cans of lacquer to finish guitar bodies. I have had some success and satisfaction using those methods. Just read it all a few times.

Usually you don't have to grainfill pine, but you want to go to 220 to paint it probably. 150 will probably still show scratches. Use a block for sure. If you hand sanded all of that without a block, that will be kind of a mess. Usually you can use a sanding sealer and a block to figure you high spots and low spots, so you can get the whole thing flat before you prime it, or start with color coats or whatever you're doing.

The better you prep it, the better it will turn out in the end, so take your time.

2. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ok, so I have finally finished it.
    Ended up going the Esquire route, single Tonerider Hot Classic bridge pickup, wiring as original 50’s models, straight to jack, volume no tone, and volume and tone, must say it really has some bite through my tweed blues junior amp. With a slap back delay you can really get great rockabilly tone.
    I even had to cut my own scratch plate with coping saw as standard bought ones didn’t look right shape wise around the horn curve, so that was real fun...not!!
    Colour is a Fender Vintage White which is period correct for Esquires.

so in conclusion, it was a real learning curve, especially the prep, paint and finishing but I am really pleased and am confident enough to start another build which should be even nicer.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice, it was a great help.

Attached Files:

Muse, fenderchamp, bsman and 3 others like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

That's awesome! Love the color. Congrats!

Ghostdriver likes this.
  4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

What a beauty! The white PG was a great choice, you could eat off that thing!

5. Ghostdriver

Cheers mate!

6. Ghostdriver

Thank you it is as smooth as a baby’s arse!

tubegeek likes this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

And twice as stanky!

Ghostdriver likes this.
  8. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

I second that emotion!

9. Ghostdriver

Guitar is now finished mate, thread updated, see posts further up!

10. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

You have to decide what type f finish you want and weigh the plusses and minuses. For example, doing a wood stain type finish on that body would require much more sanding. You would have to sand to the depth the old paint penetrated the wood to prevent a blotch color. Then there is the knot. If your relicy looking pinecaster fan, you could live with that. The part worse than the knot is the light color wood ring around the knot which will make it look like a bullseye. If a wood finish is what you desire, a bit of additional sanding and an application of stain in your choice of color isn't that much more work. Be sure to use a pre-stain conditioner or even a light coat of rattle can lacquer before staining to prevent the blotching and blackening that pine does when stained.

If you don't like the look, a quick wipe down with lacquer thinner and you can paint it your color of choice. I would spray it with high build gray or white primer (white under white finishes, grey under dark finishes), build up a few coats and wet sand it until flawless smooth. Then spray multiple base color coats followed by clear coats followed by wet sanding and buffing. I would suggest Duplicolor brand aerosols for primer, color basecoat and clearcoat though you can substitute any rattle can lacquer for the clearcoat. Do not sand the color basecoat before the clearcoat, the clear will magnify any sanding scratches and if a metallic color is used, it dulls the metallic. The key is to build the clear up as a finish coat and use wetsanding and buffing to smooth the finish.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ghost, that came out really nice! Congratulations.

12. Ghostdriver

Thanks bud, I am really happy with it

Blue Bill likes this.
  13. Ghostdriver

you didn’t read through all post, guitar is finished mate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.