Help with this intro to "Walking after Midnight"

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by historicus146, Nov 12, 2019.

1. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Having a tough time picking up some of the subtleties of this very tasteful intro..

first 15 seconds
    E /D7 /E /A /E

is the chord progression I believe

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    jomac and puddin like this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting that video! Great song, and great performance. I just got to work after a long weekend away from the world. Now I just want to go home and learn this song.

3. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Let me know how you do with some of those intro chords...
    There might be a B in the progression I missed.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

This is what I get for the intro:
    A6
    // //
    D6
    //
    E7
    //
    A6
    // // /
    F6
    /
    E7
    //

(Well, it's more syncopated than this.)

The intro guitar is simulating a Hawaiian lap steel or pedal steel, which are often tuned to a sixth chord. It's convenient because by moving positions, you get the I chord as a Major 6th, and the IV and V can be Major 6th or Dominant 7th. Moving the same shape around gives you the minor chords, too, so that's basically all you need without any re-tuning.

Take your common open D minor "cowboy" chord. Just play the top three strings. Now move the whole thing up a whole step. Now you have G6, *and* E minor. Move that G6 back down to where you started, and realize that the D minor is also a G9. Also, it's an F major 6.
    D minor, F6, and G9. One shape, three chords.

The guy playing the intro is using a lot of minor chord shapes to play Major 6 chords. He's just putting the "6" note in unusual places, and leaving out other notes, like the tonics and fifths, which is what jazzers do, because that's the bass-players job.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

They are in the key of E. The first chord he is working is an E6. The first form he ends up on at the end of the first ‘recall’ of the melody is the first three strings of a C#m...which makes the E6. He reiterates parts of that first melody but ends up on a B6 on the first three strings, down a half step to an A#6, and then using that same form plays the top part of a B9——the bass will take care of the bottom as noted, to the key chord..E6. Then, he does a thing moving up from the E at the 9th and moves to th e turnaround on a B. I can see working from that E6 to a G#m form on the first three strings....13,12,11. Take that down a half step. Another half step brings you to an F#m form that is actually another B9 chord, I believe. It ends on the E6 across the first four strings at the 9th fret. He knows how to play the steel parts. he uses that vibrato bar well. Pick out the melody and add the chord tones...it will lead you.if I sat with it a while I would know more or less exactly what he is doing. Got a Gibson bass and a 1969 Bassman to work on.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And thanks for that video.....bunch of fun on a great song.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I used to play this in the theater and I think that we either played it in the key of B-flat or B
    So in B I used to play the intro like this
    Pedal steel would play the intro lead line over these chords

B6////G9//F#9//B////
    G9//F#9// I then into the vocal in b

8. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

ScreenHunter_259 Nov. 13 08.49.jpg

Comments invited

9. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

I get
    E6 // E
    E6 //D#7 // D7
    E // Eaug // Edim // E6
    A#6 // A6

comments?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.