1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with this AVRI 52 and value?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheWizard333, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

No hard feelings on this end Wiz333. Sounds a lot better now than the way I read it. I can be wrong, never said I couldn't. I hope if the stars line up, you can get the Tele, I've owned two of them. I wish I had kept the second one. They take a little getting to know, and I didn't know that then. I do now. If you get the '52 give it a good honest chance. I don't think I've ever seen a bad one. I would be happy to have either of the one's I got rid of of. Good luck on the Tele adventure.

2. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Couple of comments ...

First, I had one of these for sale in 2012 (it was a 2011) ... got it 'slightly used' from MF for $1250. Had a helluva time selling it for $995 back then; can't recall what it went for. Now that I think about it, I think it was part of a trade I made for my '59 Bassman RI and Tony sold it. But $850 (or $800) ... if I wanted a '52 I'd go for that today.

Second, I'm coming around to Toto's Dad's view on selling stuff. Most of my stuff is partscaster builds and yes, there is that $500 rule; but I'm tired of that. I think the key is price it fairly (as I think I did some recent sales) and post it at a price and don't fall victim to the temptation to allow offers. Now 'do as i say, not as I do' ... I still see guitars up and usually try a 90% offer just to see (if they'll entertain offers). But I don't go lower than that -- well, not usually. Though sometimes. Okay, twice.

3. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Well said!

4. BUILTACASTER

BUILTACASTER TDPRI Member

It's nice but I'd leave it. I'm not snobby about how many pieces a guitar is made from ( I'm thinking of making a Vee from a big butcher block I have lying around) but this is a 52 RI. I feel like it should be a two piece. They call them "vintage style two piece bodies" for a reason; that's how they were made. It's just too obviously a three piece and the seams make it a little ugly, for lack of a better term. Sloppy maybe? I just think you can find, and deserve a better one. Good luck. I love your threads kiddo, keep 'em coming.

5. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

My 2006 52AVRI is a 3-piece body. I can always get wonderful sounds out of this guitar. I could care less how many pieces a guitar is. If I suck as a player, 2 piece, vs. 3 piece ain't going to make any difference, plus I've never heard anyone say something like, "Wow, that guy sounds great, but I bet he'd sound even better if his guitar was a 2 -piece. Such a shame he's playing a Tele with a 3-piece body!" I had a black 2008 American Standard Tele that was a 4-piece body believe it or not, and that was a very nice guitar as well.

I paid $870 for mine before tax, which ended up being just over $900 out the door from a local shop when I was living in California. The 3 piece body never bothers me, and I wanted it for a player, not a show piece, and the price in my opinion was fantastic. (It's was essentially mint when I got it, but it's not mint anymore, suffering several chips, dings, scratches, etc.) Plus, it came with pretty much everything, including a COA since it is a 2006. Only thing it had missing was the strap that came with it when it was new.

See if you can get him to part with it for under a grand. If he does and the guitar feels nice to you and sounds good, I wouldn't hesitate. I've had mine for 2+ years now and love it. It's the one guitar I won't get rid of. It just feels 'right' when I play it, regardless of the style of music I'm playing. Works for blues, country, rock, alt-country, ambient/shoegaze type stuff, etc. Although it's a super simple and basic Tele, you'll be surprised at how versatile it is and what you can coax out of it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

for $800 I'd take it.. if the time comes that you want to sell it to fund a 64 you should have no prob breaking even or a little better.. if I was a seller and it was in good shape $800 would be rock bottom unless you were getting the friends/family price.

7. xtrajerry

A lot of people prefer a 3 pc body, bridge & neck & pups all mounted to same pc of wood improves resonance blahblah.. imo if the grain is matched well there's no reason to worry about it. I don't know if you're being snobby but I do think you're making to much of it and prob have missed out on a few good guitars if you really do this.

8. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

The 2 piece being more authentic than a 3 piece is an absolute joke. Show me a center seemed 2 piece in Nacho's book? Any 2 piece is usually off center right?. If you wanna get all nitpicky I'll make the argument that a 3 piece is more vintage correct because the bridge isn't saddling 2 pieces of wood glued right down the center. The VAST majority of the real '52 Telecaster had the bridge anchored to ONE piece of wood. But even that's a bunch of a BS. I'm yet to hear a recording of a Telecaster and go... "OH YEAH! That's a 2 piece body!!"

Wiz - I said this in one of your previous posts, but I'll say it again, it is downright embarrassing the way the "older" crowd reacts to some of your posts. Especially the over 50 crowd. My God, this is an internet forum! Cut the kid some slack. He's 20 years old and into some darn cool guitars. Sure you don't have to give the kid life lessons, but isn't the point of this place to freely share our knowledge and info on all things Tele?

To answer your initial question 800-900 is a good deal I'd say. I had a 2007 3 piece '52 RI. Some may remember I refinished it Dakota red. It was 7.7lbs(probably too heavy for the cork sniffers) but it was the best sounding of that era's '52 RIs I owned and I think I had about 6 of em at one point.

BTW I'm really not 33 (32).

9. xtrajerry

I would't even think about buying a guitar from a guy that dropped the price $400.. as toto's dad pointed out bad things happen after a seller feels he's be beaten up. I don't even make offers any longer unless the ad specifically states make offer. Following some sales on TGP it's easy to see when a guitar is over priced because it doesn't sell for weeks & weeks then the seller drops the price from $1900 to $1875 and still no offers.. by the time he gets down to the price that it should have been listed at they are cranky & have attitudes.. It's just not worth dealing with an unreasonable private seller. To many reasonable sellers that want their buyers to be just as happy as they are when the deal is done.

10. xtrajerry

See we think alike again.. LOL!

11. xtrajerry

Wiz.. it's prob a good idea not to get to involved with sellers when you don't have the money ready to spend. Sure you may get a good guy who understands or you may get a crank that' gets annoyed that you are bothering him when you don't have the money. By the time you do have the money mr cranky wants nothing to do with you because he feels you wasted his time.. tire kicking is risky that way.. you've gotten a feel of the market..My unsolicited advice is.. stay off the phone until you're ready to buy.. otherwise you may end up blowing or missing a great deal.

12. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

Thanks for the words Freddairy. I was already thinking if I got to refinish it in vintage blonde transparent. I know that might kill the value except to an individual who wants a 52 in that color and doesn't care that its a refinish.

I'll let you all know. I hope I get it. I admit the back doesn't match that we'll but the front looks pretty good I think. Who cares about the back. As far as 2 or 3 piece goes, I believe a lot of stuff effects the voice (Ron Kirn) of a guitar but not this.

For me what effects voice and tone of a guitar is this
    - the wood it's made of
    - the pickups
    - the amp
    - the pick
    - the finish slightly
    - the fret board wood
    - your knob settings

That gave a good idea for a thread I may start.

13. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Yeah but you would think a 20 year old would know this is the Internet, which requires a bit of a thick skin. (I'm 46, and if I ask a question, I'm prepared for just about anything--good, bad or indifferent.) TDPRI is unusually considerate in my experience.

14. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The forum rules apply to everyone though. One should expect to be treated with respect - even if one is young and a bit obsessed (aren't we all?).

But since the OP mentioned Mr. Kirn and myself, I can inform him that both of us have had our share of beating. Ron wasn't always the "guru" he has become lately. He was once a "dissident" and took some heavy blows. And myself - coming from a small country on the wrong side of the Atlantic - had a hard time being accepted as an equal member (by some at least). But both Ron and myself were lucky to be "middle-aged" men and not 20 year old "kids".;)

TheWizard333: Don't be discouraged. Not everyone has diplomatic skills. And sometimes they read your posts like a certain man reads the Bible. I guess you just have to get used to it ... And you can be sure to receive some ironic remarks from me!:D

15. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Certainly, the AV52RIs I've owned have mostly been 3 piece ash, with only 1 (a 2006 model) being 2-piece, centre-seam. But yeah, 3 piece bodies are more common on the 1998-2012 AV52RI.

I prefer the look of 2-piece ash bodies, where the grain has been matched to be symmetrical. Hard to find, but pretty.

Seems the 1303s made around the early '90s and the first 0202s made between '98-'00 have some of the best grain I've seen on a '52RI.

These days, the PV52's grain is covered with an opaque finish, and the grain can only be seen close up.

Thanks,

16. tamader74

tamader74 TDPRI Member

When you sell what you need to pay his price, buy it...your really not going to beat $800. if it is as good as it look's,...I'm almost positive they quit giving 'em away :D. Tom

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

killer grain on that warlock.
    its worth $850-1000

2 vs 3 piece is meaningless.

buy it now whatever it takes. Conveniently "forget" your GFs birthday , live on top ramen for 1 month or do whatever you need to do to get this tele.
    do it now!

my 52RI is a 2007, great varietal that year.

18. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

revised

19. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

This might change your mind. Brian May's no.1 was made from an old oak fireplace, fretboard too! The body was painted with Rustin's Plastic Coating. I'm not sure that wood etc has as much to do with things as marketing departments like to make out. Brian May didn't lack tone!

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Let's stay on topic. Now it looks like we have hijacked the original topic of this thread into a discussion of how thick your skin ought to be.

This place works best when we refrain from adverse personal commentary on the members. We're here to socialize a bit and exchange knowledge. I don't think anybody appreciates unsolicited personal commentary from strangers. We feel like we know one another, but we don't know anything at all, really.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.