Help with Stacked Tone Pot wiring please

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Hi all, I'm planning on doing this to my telecaster. I have a mini humbucker in the neck, and a single coil in the bridge. I've got a 250/500k stacked pot for the tone control, the plan is to wire up the 250k tone to the SC and the 500k tone to the Bucker. I'm also planning on dropping in a treble bleed kit, presumably on the volume control as per the main circuit diagram.

My question is around the orange drop used on the tone control in the second part of the article, the part that discusses the stacked pots. It's the one connecting the back of the pot to the ground lug, NOT the one that is discussed that reduces the resistance of the 500k pot to 250k

1. What part does it play in the circuit? IE what does it do?
2. And given my desire to use the humbucker with the SC, what value Orange Drop should I use? 0.047 or 0.022?

As usual, huge thanks in advance for any help you can give. The volume pot will be the standard 250k CTS pot that came with the guitar, and I should mention its a US performer so standard switch too.

On further reading of that article, looks like both tone pots share the same orange drop. Ultimately, I want the bucker to be brighter, but with the flexibility to alter tone of both independently, hence why the Bucker gets the 500k tone.

Last edited:

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
Wire a single cap in as in standard strat wiring. Use either 0.047 or 0.022. The 0.047 will give a slightly deeper sweep.

Like your build I often go for a mini bucker rhythm. For dual tones I usually use twin 500k stacked pot with a single 0.022 - occasionally I'll use a 0.047 if I want more mud. I like the 500k for the bridge tone as it is a more open sound.

IMHO what 0.047 gives in the deeper range is not worth hearing so I generally opt for 0.022's

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks Old Picker. I've got both a 0.047 and a 0.022 on order from my supplier, so I guess I can experiment.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Can I just confirm as im getting hopelessly confused by this…

CTS stacked concentric AUDIO pots. 500K volume (inner pot) and 250K tone (outer pot)”

That text above would suggest that the inner shaft is connected to the bottom pot, which is 500k, and the outer shaft is connected to the top pot, which is 250k. And that when the concentric knob is attached, the thicker of the two knobs, the bottom one, turns the TOP 250k pot, and the top knob, the smaller diameter of the two, turns the BOTTOM 500k pot.

Have I understood that correctly?

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
Regarding your first question in your first post, usually the cap is used as a wire to get from the volume pot to the tone pot, and then the tone pot is grounded. But it doesn't matter the order they are in, so that diagram has the cap after the pot. It just looks odd.

You should have no problem using different caps for each pickup if you connect each tone control to the pickup on the selector switch. From my understanding of treble bleed circuits, you'll never get one design to work with both loads. I'd skip that.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
So, an update. Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, the tone pot was stacked differently to the way we understood it to be. The inner shaft connected to the bottom pot and was 250k. The outer shaft connected to the upper pot (upper being closest to the control plate) and was 500k. This from a wiring perspective meant that I just had to swap a couple wires around, from an aesthetic pov was a pain*

Installation was easy, and apart from one loose connection easily rectified was painless. I chose to do it on the hottest day of the year though, which was a stupid mistake and had me cursing several times!

In the end I dropped a 0.022 cap on the tones, and did end up using the treble bleed circuit on the volume in the end.

Results? Im very pleased. The guitar seems to have opened up a lot. The neck humbucker gets me closer to that classic/southern rock tones I covet, but roll back on the tone and I get a fabulous creamy blues neck tone. Bridge is just more useable now, I find I keep the tone at about 6-7 and leave it there. Biggest surprise though is the volume. It seems more sensitive now, and I can roll back the volume without getting muddy, which I’m really happy with (volume is the stock fender-fitted pot, remains unchanged).

*the only knob I could find to fit was this one.

66400188-3866-419C-A9E8-16AF0AF46570.jpeg

That would have worked fine the way we THOUGHT the pot was stacked, because the black knob would tone the Bridge (black - SC) pup, and the chrome knob would tone the Neck (chrome - HB) pickup. A visual reference!

Nope! Sadly, the OTHER way round.

I’ve since managed to find the knob I needed (Allparts MK-0137-010) but from Thomann in Germany so waiting for that to arrive. U.K. AllParts seem perpetually out of stock, and every other guitar parts store carries Metric not Imperial. All’s well that ends well.

Last edited: