1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tahoebob54, Feb 26, 2021.

1. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Holic

I have a Squier VM Jaguier that had 2 Duncan designed Humbuckers in it, shortly after I got if a friend put 2 gf p90’s in it. I am not really happy with the sound of the GF 90’s it just does mot sound very clear at all. I was thinking of putting SD p90 in it, I don’t understand sizing of pickups and the difference between what pup will fit in a fender or a Gibson. Could someone tell me what pup will fit into this guitar?
    D76C4C6C-6ACD-4F18-BB5F-943790710EDD.jpeg

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Those are standard humbuckers so most any humbucker will fit. P90's won't, tho there ARE some humbucker sized P90s for people with a humbucker guitar that want P90s. Most say they don't sound much like P90s tho. Thats likely what your friend put in it. Sounds like you meant "GFS". They make some humbucker size P90s that IMO are very mediocre. If you want P90s u might wanna ask those who have used humbucker sized P90's and see what brands sound like a real P90. Otherwise to put real 90s in it u would have to make or have a pickguard made for them or maybe see if someone has one on ebay, tho i think that would be a tough one to find. I think u may also have to route the pickup slots a but wider but not sure about that.

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Those are humbuckers. They make humbucker-size P90s, whick are not true P90s but grt close.

You can put any humbucker you want in there. For best fit, measure in millimeters from the middle of the first screw to the middle of the last, across the bridge pickup. You may need a "trembucker," also called "F-spaced" or spacing expressed in millimeters. You will see when you strart looking.

If you want to know what different pickups sound like, check YouTube or the pickup manufacturer's site. Seymour Duncan has sound clips, as do some other makers.

4. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Before you change your pickups check your pots. See if they are at least 500k ohms. Lower value pots will make the sound muddy. Also check your guitar cable. I have had a bad guitar cable make a tele bridge pickup sound muddy.

5. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

pretty sure bootstrap has some hum sized p90s

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.