Help with Pickup Wiring problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Drorangedrop, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Drorangedrop

Drorangedrop NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys, I'm new here wondering if someone could help with my wiring problem. I tried to post this on another forum but nobody responded and hope someone could really help me.

I have a HSH configured guitar project but my tone pots are not working at all. I’ve attached two diagrams.

The first diagram is for a 7 way switching system which I’ve tried to use.

The second diagram is for “50’s tone pots” I've previously used on some strat projects. I’ve always used this wiring system on previous strats as it works much better for guitar volume roll off than my other experiments with treble bleed resistor/caps etc.

So I basically used the 7 ways H SH system as per the first diagram but changed the tone pot wiring and 5 way lever switch wiring to suit the 50’s wiring diagram. Like a hybrid of both diagrams.

Clearly there is a problem now. The switching all works fine between pickups and coils slits and the volume pot works. Neither tone pot works at all though.

Could anyone tell me what I’ve done wrong or why they wont work?

Attached Files:

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Sounds like (heh!) you're missing the ground connection to bleed off trebles to ground.

Do you have the backs of both tone pots connected to circuit ground?

BBQedIguana likes this.
  3. Drorangedrop

Drorangedrop NEW MEMBER!

Thanks Peegoo - I've tried checking with a meter and backs of both tone pots connect to the circuit ground. Its just bizarre and I can't work out what could be wrong

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.