1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with pickguard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ghostdriver, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hi folks,
    I have been commissioned to produce an engraved pickguard for a client but I am not sure how this humbucker is mounted, seems to have two screws not one

cheers

UPDATE - i think I have found it’s a wide range humbucker, so if anyone has a guide as to where the two upper and lower screw holes should go I would be really grateful......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Is it possible for the customer to send you a pick guard they plan for you to copy? Nice work btw!

Tonetele likes this.
  3. Ghostdriver

Yes that would be my next action, as I am in UK and he is in Canada I thought I would try and find out here first !

Telekarster likes this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I think that would be the safest option IMO. That way you know for sure what the customer wants you to make. The postage wouldn't be all that taxing I wouldn't think... so money well spent to avoid the risk. Just my 2 cents ;)

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Another option is to have the customer scan the pickguard and send the file. You’d need them to place a ruler on the glass as well, or even better, two rulers set at a right angle.

SRHmusic likes this.
  6. Ghostdriver

or he can just draw around it and send me a paper copy maybe thats the easiest

BorderRadio and SRHmusic like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That works too but the tracing should be done with a mechanical pencil. Having both, the scan/ruler and a tracing is closest to having the actual guard in hand, IME.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed . That and the exact measurements of the Widerange ( which you can look up to verify authenticity, they are smaller than Gibson Humbuckers) and exactly where they want it placed. Crikey's - a five screw Black pickguard is nothing from WDMusic IF it is a genuine 70's Widerange.
    I've built guitars for people many times and insist they know what they want. You don't need the gief later if it's not to their specifications.

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.