Help with pedals

RC50OUTWEST

TDPRI Member
I'm just now getting back to electric guitars after many years of acoustic only. I have several guitars with different types of pickups and a couple of amps, but have never paid any attention to pedals. I have a Bugera V5 with a 1x12 cabinet and 15 year old Fender G-DEC (30W 1x10. I have the manual, but have never learned how to use its effects - I repo'd it from my son who never used it.). I'd probably only use the pedals with the Bugera, in the basement. The Fender will be upstairs.

I want to play classic and traditional Blues (Muddy Waters, JL Hooker, Jimmy Vaughn, etc), Classic Rock (60's, 70's, Grateful Dead, Stones, Dylan, The Band, etc.) and Classic country, Americana, rootsy typical boomer stuff . No heavy distortion, metal, etc.

I only play at home, will never be in a band, but might play with friends or go to the occasional open mic night someday.

I'm thinking I need two or three pedals to help create the tones I want for the kind of music I like. I'm definitely not interested in a complicated, expensive setup. I'd probably buy used or cheaper imitations of popular pedals.

I really don't know where to start, which effects help produce the tones I want, what are some of the best buys for those pedals, is there a website that explains the various pedals/effects? A previous thread that might help?

Thanks!

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Below is my "fun size" board. While I have more expensive pedals I use, I've started taking this handy little board to jams with neighbors and friends and it works rather well. None of these pedals were expensive and are still available in one form/brand or another. These pedal were around $25 each when I got them although they're a bit more now (like everything).

Here's what I use them for.

Optical compressor - Clean boost plus light compression and tone shaping. Good for slide, country and clean blues

Fuzz - Fuzz Face type fuzz, dirty slide, 60's to 70's rock tones. I sometimes swap a Rat clone in this slot.

Zen Drive - Often called a Dumble simulator, it's a good overdrive that can capture a lot of tones. I like it better than TS-9 style pedals.

Modulation Multi-effects - A good way to get multiple modulations effects on one pedal. I don't use it so much but it can come in handy.

Delay/Echo - Good for slapback as well as some Floyd-ish tones.

Reverb multi-effect - Several different reverb effects in one mini-pedal. Gives you a lot of options. You can get bigger pedals that have both delay and reverb on them.

20220701_143403.jpg

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Well, be forewarned, it’s a rabbit hole. And, there are as many opinions as there are pedals.

I would say, go to the YouTube channel of That Pedal Show* and find some of their more basic how to videos. Like, basic videos on drives, delay, modulation, etc. along with videos on pedal order, etc. Followed by videos on setting up your amp for drive pedals, etc.

If you do all that first, then you’ll have some ideas about what is possible overall, what different pedals do and how to set them up so they actually work for you, and the typical ways to organise them so they work together well.

Now, as well as that, consider the fact that one of the first pedals most buy is some form of drive. So, go to the JHS YouTube channel and watch the video that explains different overdrive types / families. That will help you decide say, if you prefer the sound of a Tube Screamer to a Blues Driver, etc.

Here’s two starting links.

Key points (well, what I think are key points):
1. there are no rules
2. don’t get hung up on minute differences between brands
3. expensive pedals don’t necessarily or automatically sound better
4. you need less than you think
5. experiment
6. play music, not pedals
7. there are no rules

Good luck.

Pax/
Dean
* there are plenty of others, but this place is comprehensive & fairly well organised

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Hi.

Well, be forewarned, it’s a rabbit hole. And, there are as many opinions as there are pedals.

I would say, go to the YouTube channel of That Pedal Show* and find some of their more basic how to videos. Like, basic videos on drives, delay, modulation, etc. along with videos on pedal order, etc. Followed by videos on setting up your amp for drive pedals, etc.

If you do all that first, then you’ll have some ideas about what is possible overall, what different pedals do and how to set them up so they actually work for you, and the typical ways to organise them so they work together well.

Now, as well as that, consider the fact that one of the first pedals most buy is some form of drive. So, go to the JHS YouTube channel and watch the video that explains different overdrive types / families. That will help you decide say, if you prefer the sound of a Tube Screamer to a Blues Driver, etc.

* there are plenty of others, but this place is comprehensive & fairly well organised

Agreed, good place to start.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
TokyoPortrait has it right, especially about the rabbit hole (especially OD pedals)

I can recommend inexpensive pedals. I love Boss pedals. They’re affordable and built like tanks, and they just do the job.

I’m partial to the boss OD-3 for overdrive (the SD-1 if you need a mid boost), the DS-1 for distortion.

For the styles you mention, fuzz might be useful as well as wah. Of course reverb if your amp doesn’t have them. I’m kind of partial to tremolo.

Have fun, but don’t go broke, and don’t spend a fortune for the same, or very similar circuits with boutique names.

Especially for classic stuff, only the basic effects are needed, if ANY really are.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
For classic blues you won't need much; those guys just plugged straight in to the amp. But, a decent reverb is nice and any overdrive will do. However, an EQ pedal is a real tonal eye-opener and a wah pedal is about the most fun you can have with one foot.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I just started collecting pedals. So far, I have a Fat Rat clone for distortion, a Dumble pedal for crunch, and a tape echo delay pedal to take the dryness out (no reverb on amp). My next pedal will be a Fuzz, but I haven't decided which one.

You'll also probably want a pedal board and power supply. Most of the mini pedals don't take a 9V battery.

All of my stuff is from Amazon (Joyo, Mosky, etc). So far, it has been good enough for my use - which is goofing off at my house.

Buzzgrowl

Tele-Holic
TC Polytune Tuner > Boss CS3 compressor > Ibanez Tubescreamer > MXR Carbon Copy > Strymon Flynt reverb/trem

The Strymon is great for rootsy blues swampy stuff.

You may find cheaper copies of all the above in other brands such as Mooer or Joyo.

Extras:

If you want to do Hendrix and '60s psychedelic rock you will need a fuzz. Place it right after the tuner.

If you want to play 70s rock or grunge, get a Rat pedal too. Put it after the tubescreamer.

If you want to play '80s new wave stuff you will need a chorus, flanger and a phaser. There are all-in-one pedals like the electro-harmonix Mod 11. Place it before the delay.

If you consider a wah pedal, try a Morley, one that turns on the moment you step on it, iow it doesn't have a switch. Before the tubescreamer.

Finally, get an isolated power suplly for them.

If you want all the above, might as well consider a multifx unit. It would probably be cheaper. With pedals, you will need to buy a board and decent interconnects (not solderless diy stuff).

Personally, I chose not to go with a multifx, but that's another discussion.

Friend of Leo's
No experience of a Bugera amp but, to cover the sounds mentioned:
Boss BD-2
EHX Big Muff pi - Nano version's fine for at home
Boss DD-8 - Delay of some sort would be essential and Boss, just 'cos they're so universal.

Others to consider, relatively low cost and highly versatile:
TC Hall of Fame - only if no on-board Reverb
and maybe...

TC Viscous Vibe - preferred to a Phaser, just load the Shin-ei Toneprint

For' import' clones etc of the above take a look at:

http://www.thecavanproject.com/101-effect-pedal-clones/?amp=1

and/or

https://www.pedalboard.org/pedale/clones

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My partner just bought me a couple cheap pedals from cool music which is a branch of Behringer that have lots of effects in one easy pedal. I’m a pedal snob. I don’t buy cheap pedals. Having said that…I love these little pedals. I can also recommend the sonic cake delay/verb as excellent.

1660996544618.png

1660996844107.png

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
My partner just bought me a couple cheap pedals from cool music which is a branch of Behringer that have lots of effects in one easy pedal. I’m a pedal snob. I don’t buy cheap pedals. Having said that…I love these little pedals. I can also recommend the sonic cake delay/verb as excellent.

View attachment 1018997

View attachment 1018998

The SonicCake delay/reverb was the one I was thinking of should one want to combine these two functions in a single pedal.

I have the Deadbeat version of the Modulator and I found most of its sounds to be too "over the top" for my taste.

Neptical

TDPRI Member
I’m partial to the boss OD-3 for overdrive (the SD-1 if you need a mid boost)

+1.
I use the SD-1 always on boosting a Wampler Tumnus, OD-3 and ProCo FatRat. I have an MXR 10 Band EQ to bring it all to the next level. So much tone shaping and extremely versatile.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Perhaps if you listed individual songs by bands you like people could make specific recommendations about what effects are used on that particular song as well.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
The BD-2 is really versatile and can cover everything from clean boost to polite fuzz. I don't know what onboard effects your amps provide but a tremolo pedal like the TR-2 and a reverb pedal, along with the BD-2, would cover a lot of ground for classic rock or americana. The OD-3 is similar to the BD-2 with stronger lows. It might be a better fit for you. Analog delay might also be another useful pedal. Some prefer it to reverb.