Help with PA Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m looking for ideas for main and sub placement to minimize volume further away from the band. Venue is about 40x80 ft. No raised stage. All the guidance online tries to increase volume in the back, so typically raise the main speakers on stands. So maybe set the mains on the floor?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

What do you mean by "minimize volume further away from the band?" Does that mean you want louder stage volume from the mains?

Or do you want to project volume to the back of the room? If that is what you want, you need to fly the sound over the crowd. Up on stands at least head high is good for small to medium venues. The subs can sit on the floor because the low stuff is non-directional.

3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I want a moderate volume nearest the band to be highest. I want volume to attenuate as much as possible for audience that sits further back. Audience that sits up close don’t mind the louder music. Audience that sits way at the back want to have conversations.

So attenuate volume for the audience further away.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

You want to cross your mains pointed at each other and slightly away from the band. Subs don't matter.

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Read interesting facets of toe in and extreme toe in. Will try it during set up.

6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

The GIG is tonight, forgot to mention that. Sports Bar venue.

7. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

A live room makes this nearly impossible. A room with people and absorbent surfaces is easier.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

try decoupling the speakers from the floor Lift them off the floor, use milk crates if you have to,, bass frequecies will saturate the room automatically and high end speakers are fully directional (horns) there is a rough calculation to determine the bass frequencies
    take the longest dimention of the room divide it by 1130 ( the speed of sound at sea level ) this will give you a frequency that will saturate the room , cut that frequency and its octaves to remove that bass end hump, hopefully this will work for you

80ft divided by 1130 Ft /sec = @ 20,40,80,160,320 HZ

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Break a leg!!!

10. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Set the mains on the floor tilted back with a piece of 2x4. I went with the extreme toe in after listening. Crossed them about 5 ft in front of nearest table that was at 15ft. Noticed a slight loss of crispness so added a touch of exciter. Lowered the sub a touch to lower the kick drum. Sound checking the bass player told him up a little. He waved me up there. The bass was blowing out everything on stage but not loud enough out front. I moved it further out from the wall. I pointed it off to side. I took it off the stand. I put it back. Finally I turned his bass tone knob way down and volume up. Get my guitar on and started the first song and I can barely hear it, but it was set for enough volume out front. Hit the boost pedal. Played a hour while they were talking, ordering meals and eating. After their meeting played another 15 min to close out. Checked with several people who thought the volume was almost loud. Got a comment the clarity was great from someone that has heard us play many times.

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There is absolutely nothing better for absorbing aural energy than warm human bodies. Lower the mains and maybe (just a maybe) ditch the subs in an effort to cover the near field. Floor subs will transmit energy all the way to the rear of the room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.