Help with new Super Blend Strat wiring mod

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ernzo, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ernzo

ernzo NEW MEMBER!

Hi there!

One for the experts..
    I've got a Highway One SSS Stratocaster, and lately I've been wondering if it would be possible to implement a "Blender Pot" style wiring into it..
    but still preserving its strong points, namely the Greasebucket tone circuit and the Neck/Bridge Tone ctrls.

I've been checking all the Blender style diagrams I could find (Emerson CTS, Fezz Parka, Kinman..),
    and all seem to have a Master Tone control, which I'm not particularly interested in..

So after studying many Standard Strat, and Blend style wirings, and trying to figure out how all this madness works in itself..
    I've come up with a couple of ideas for a circuit that hopefully will integrate all of it.

But first let me remind you what the guitar currently features:
    5-way switch (standard combinations)
    Master Volume,
    Neck Tone,
    Bridge Tone,
    RWRP Middle Pickup
    Greasebucket tone circuits

And here's the designs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The IDEA is to implement the Blender pot, preserve the Greasebucket tone circuit,
    But make the Tone control have effect solely on the Bridge pickup.

Then have it on both the Neck/Bridge pickups when the Toggle switch is activated.

I also found the "50's Wiring" interesting, so I tried to make a version of it too..

It's actually the first time I try to deal with guitar electronics or draw a schematic,
    so bear with me if any or all of it is pure nonsense.. :D

In any case hope you enjoy the idea!

Questions:
    Will this design work at all?
    is there anything wrong you can see?

Will the Tone control work?
    If so, will it have effect Only on the Bridge pickup, or in Both?

IOW will the toggle switch effectively include/exclude the Neck pickup on the Tone control?

Is the Ground wire on the Blend pot necessary?
    or it could bleed/suck tone, or introduce noise/hum?

If everything is wrong, how would you implement this idea?
    Or it's just not possible to isolate the pickups for tone control in a Blender circuit,
    having to conform with the Master Tone?

-What is the theoretical benefit/change of connecting the Tone to the Second Lug of the Volume pot instead of the first?

Will the "50's Wiring" be compatible with the Greasebucket circuit, and the Blender mod?
    (all at the same time)

Is the "50's Wiring" compatible with the Kinman Treble Bleed?
    or will it be too Overkill?

Thank you in advance!

2. Hippie

Hippie Tele-Meister

Seems like you and I have arrived at the same circuit around the same time! I recently did something similar in my strat, and loved the greasebucket, but ended up swapping it out for a modded TBX circuit...look into it, ya might dig it!

Anyway, to answer questions...Yeah this design works great! I play long gigs in a psychedelic band so its very nice to have access to all these tones on the fly.

The tone control switch is a good idea, seems like it will work but ive never tried that, i usually opt for master tone, but with a no-load pot as well.

I dont think the blend knob needs a ground, but if your guitar is shielded the pot will probably make contact with it anyway. My strat has a ground wire that i added out of habit, and its fairly silent.

50's wiring seems to make treble bleed pointless from my experience. That said, I prefer the taper of modern with treble bleed so i go that route, but i tend to use it for high gain swells and such.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.