1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with midi assignment.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Astrovanallen, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Astrovanallen

Astrovanallen TDPRI Member

I can’t get my midi controller to work with 90 percent of the plugins I use. It works completely fine for logic itself if I adjust something built in and then under control surfaces I can perform midi learn just fine. As soon as I use an external plugin, it’s like it doesn’t even exist. I’m using the xsonic xtone pro which is an interface that also has midi footswitches. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m specifically trying to use it within amplitude 5, but really almost all plugins don’t recognize it.

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Can you clarify something for me, and possibly others.
    When you say "external plugin"... do you mean "3rd party plugin running in Logic". Or are you talking about running the plugin in "stand alone mode" outside of logic.

The former should be possible. I don't run Logic but I know Studio One can map anything to any plugin using the midi learn function, I can't imagine Logic wouldn't do that.

A stand alone program/plugin is probably just missing the "learn" function which makes mapping easy. You will need to read the midi implementation charts and program the device accordingly. There are too many possibilities with this one to provide direct instruction without actually owning the two devices.

BTW... that "xsonic xtone pro" looks like a really practical device.

3. Astrovanallen

Astrovanallen TDPRI Member

I’m actually using the software specifically hosted within logic. Amplitude and the other plugins I use all have midi learn functions. Helix native allows me to assign midi to switches, and then I can assign that switch within logic so that is one that actually works. Midi learn for devices that are part of logic work okay as well. Also, on iOS within any apps, I have zero issues using midi learn. I also have checked the chart, so I do know which CC is for which switch, but most software doesn’t allow me to specifically input that, aside from Helix. To make things more confusing, logic often does just recognize that you just hit a control within some apps and then will allow me to assign a midi control using logic itself rather than within the plugin, but not for any guitar software. It’s possibly something down to my misunderstanding of midi, I don’t have a lot of experience with it, but for example running amplitube hosted by logic, midi learn inside amplitube doesn’t work, nor does logic let me program it. There is also 3 different midi modes in the interface itself, but none of those work.

The device is really practical because I can run a guitar and a mic in to it, with or without phantom power and run it out to speakers and I don’t need any additional gear if if I can get the midi to work because it’s 6 switches with 3 banks and an expression input. The quality of the guitar signal is excellent. The other downside though that I’m surprised they left out is how gain adjustment for the guitar input. It can be done in software I guess, but I’m not even really sure if that’s the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.