Help with info for Tele Trade-In

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teledubya, May 10, 2008.

1. teledubya

teledubya TDPRI Member

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about saving up some money and trading in my current Standard MIM Tele to buy a better quality Tele. I found a trade-in form on musicians friend but I'm not sure how to figure out some of the info since I bought my Tele used off ebay. The things that it asks for in the first step that I can't seem to figure out are Model #, Serial #, Mfr.(Manufacturer?) Year. Any help in helping me figure out these would be greatly appreciated!!

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I figured some of the "pros" would have helped you by now but I'll try to pitch in. I believe the model would just be a standard Telecaster (not an American Standard or anything like that, just standard). You might want to put MIM standard in the model space. The serial number should be on the front of back of the headstock. It's on the back with the US made models and I think the MIMs are there too. Manufacturer would be Fender. I think the year of manufacture is the first or second digit in the serial number but I can't remember for sure.

I wouldn't expect too much on a trade-in through MF especially since you would probably have to pay to ship it to them. Have you tried a local store or posting it for sale on Craigslist?

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

+1 - that's your best bet IMHO...

Good luck...!

4. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

You'll do much better by selling outright. They are not going to give more than their cost (which is less than $300) on a trade in.

5. teledubya

teledubya TDPRI Member

Alright, well thanks for the help everyone! Greatly appreciated!
    I got it off of ebay for a steal to begin with, so I'm just thinkin if I get about what I paid for it I'm just wanting to contribute to my next Tele. I haven't tried any local stores, I live in a small town and the only decent music store within an hour isn't that great and probably wouldn't give me hardly anything. I'll look around and see what I might be able to get off of it in other places though.
    Thanks again!

6. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Usually a store will only give you 1/4 of the list price on a trade, if it's in mint condition. You'd be more than lucky to get their cost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.