Help with identification

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ccobrastatuss, Aug 12, 2020.

1. ccobrastatuss

ccobrastatuss TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying this guitar but I can't find much of anything online for teles with 3 pickups. The ad says it's a deluxe; I've seen the Nashville's with SSS but I'm not sure it's a Nashville. I'm weary of it being fake, anyone have any advice or input? I have more pictures if needed. The serial number is DZ9335143. Thanks!

aviary-image-1597283189726.jpeg

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Well it's got abalone dots and the body/binding look good but I'm not sure about the bridge - looks like a cheapie.

Got a headstock shot?

3. ccobrastatuss

Attached Files:

4. ccobrastatuss

aviary-image-1597285065267.jpeg

5. ccobrastatuss

I noticed the bridge has no markings which concerned me, also only the Seymour Duncan pickup is marked, the other two are blank, which I have seen but still concerns me

6. Jonnyb73

Jonnyb73 TDPRI Member

looks like deluxe. I had one that looked just like it. cherry finish. I'm guessing someone added the middle pickup and replaced the crappy noiseless scn bridge and neck pickups.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Fender did issue a Deluxe Nashville Telecaster like that, but I've never seen one with the offset intonation screws on the saddles like you show in your pic.

8. ccobrastatuss

Thanks for the input, that's reassuring, is it easy enough to add the middle pickup?

9. ccobrastatuss

Hmm okay. I plan to check it out, anything you would suggest looking for to confirm its its authentic?

10. Jonnyb73

Jonnyb73 TDPRI Member

Everything is easy if you know what you're doing.

11. Dacious

All looks good - you can plug the numbers into Fenders serial number database. I'd say yes, someone swapped out the noiseless pickups.

12. ccobrastatuss

Awesome thank you!

13. Bill B

Bill B TDPRI Member

Looks kinda like a tele plus deluxe v2. They came with 3 lace gold pickups and have a belly tuck. Black dots though and I’m not sure about that lovely color

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The bodies are routed for the middle pickup at the factory so all you need is to swap out the pickguard for one with the middle pickup cut and to wire it up. Fender American Standard/American Deluxe/etc. bodies are routed for a neck humbucker, the middle Strat-sized single coil and a bridge single coil.

Looks like a modded 2009 American Deluxe Tele. The original pickups would have been SCN noiseless pickups; looks like the other pickups were replaced when the middle pickup was added and the S-1 switch was removed - the neck pickup definitely is not an SCN because it doesn't have the letters "SCN" on the cover (and I don't think you can removed the covers on SCNs; I think the covers are potted on - but I could be thinking of the N3/N4 pickups). The SCN bridge pickup didn't have lettering on the bobbin.

I ran the serial number through Fender's lookup feature and it just showed up as an "American Deluxe Telecaster 2004-2010" without a photo of a guitar - meaning whomever entered it into Fender's database didn't put in the color so we can't verify that this left the factory as an aged cherry burst American Deluxe or if it's a build up from various Fender parts outside of the middle pickup. You would have to remove the other 2 pickups to verify what they are.

Quick history lesson: Fender did do a Nashville-style American Deluxe Tele, but only for the first year or so the American Deluxe was available - so call it say Spring 1998 through Spring 1999; by July 1999 they were back to the 2-pickup configuration. It was a carry forward from the Tele Plus V2 that @Bill B mentioned; the Tele Plus V2 was available from circa late 1995 until end 1997/early 1998 before it was replaced by the American Deluxe Tele v1.

15. Dacious

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

With a 2009 serial number? Don't think so; a 1998-99 American Deluxe Nashville-style would have a DN8xxxxxx or DN9xxxxxx serial number, not the DZ9xxxxxx number.
    That's so strange - last night I was signed in to my Fender account (where I register my Fender products) and the serial number search returned a photo of a Fender case instead of the photo of the guitar; when I signed out it and reran the number this morning it returned the photo of the guitar like your search did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.