1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with getting a good clean tone

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by rxtech, Sep 15, 2016.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Howdy all,
    I was wondering if I could get any suggestions for how to get a good, full, clean tone. I play at church and I am going direct with an old Line 6 pod 2.0( I know, I know, it's not the latest and greatest or best option, but it's what I have ). Any suggestions for getting a real full bodied clean tone that is not piercing and to trebly and where to set the EQ knobs exactly. I play with a 2004 Mexican tele.

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with the Line 6 POD 2.0; I used one in church for a while and it worked perfectly, with the exception of the absence of an easy way to get dotted-8th delay. I could do it, but I had to count the beats and tap it to the dotted-8th beat in my head...

Anyway, I got a nice clean tone with any of the Fender amp models and a good amount of compression. Are you using the Floor POD, the Floor POD Plus, or something else? I had both, and if you let me know which one you're using I'll try to remember more details.

3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

My favorite POD cleans are ones using the Blackface Lux and the Ac30 together. If it sounds shrill, just increase the Ac30 in the mix.

4. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

I'm using the pod 2.0. I don't know if you can actually combine two models together.

5. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Maybe like the clean sound here from 1:03-1:21 or especially 1:59-2:09. Not talking about any of the distortions found elsewhere on the video , just the clean ones like in these examples:

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I used a POD 2.0 for awhile, and the only clean sounds I got along with were the blackface and bassman models. Too bad I sold that kinda stuff a few years ago, I'd share the patch settings..

7. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

No worries, thanks. Anyone else?

8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a pocket POD which is pretty similar to the POD 2.0 but in a smaller package. As others have mentioned, the Fender amp models are pretty good for clean tones but if it's not sounding quite right, one thing to check is that the output is set to Direct and not Amp. The exact EQ may vary depending on the PA you're plugging into, the room, pickup selection, etc. I'll have a bit of a play around tonight and see if I can come up with a starting point.

9. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Thanks, that would be great! Knowing where to set the bass, treble and drive as well as which amp model you were using would be very helpful! I made a couple of patches myself, but if I could get closer to the examples in the video that would be nice. Basically, a really good full, round, non-piercing sound that is clean. Thanks again!

10. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

search your local pawn shops and classifieds for one of these. Shouldn't be more than 150 bucks. Built like a tank. TONS of scweeeky clean head room. Pretty nice trem as well.

11. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

I run an American standard into a micd fender super chamo xd at church. I spend 90% of my time on the bridge pickup or middle poaition, and I run my bass at 10 and my treble at about 3. It Keeps things a bit warmer, and not so piercing.

It took me a long time to stop looking at the number on my knobs and to just trust my ears. Trust what your hear and you'll be just fine!

12. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a bit of a play around with my pocket POD. I think these settings were in the ballpark:

Amp: Boutique #3 (Budda Twinmaster)
    Bass: 7-8
    Mid: 6
    Treb: 7

Amp: Black Panel #2 (Blackface Twin Reverb)
    Bass: 8
    Mid: 6
    Treb: 7 (note - the treble seems to be pretty sensitive so may need some fine adjusting to get the sweet spot)

Amp: Modern Class A (Matchless Chieftan)
    Bass: 7
    Mid: 5 (the mid on this is pretty sensitive too)
    Treb: 7

On all, drive: 2-3 and volume: 9. A touch of reverb will probably help too.

Good luck!

13. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

The L6 custom tone site may be of assistance. Especially if a specific song's clean speaks to you...

14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I used a POD 2 for years.... mostly in the studio. They sound great, I wish I had kept mine... just to have it.

Black Panel
    Drive on 5 (if it's gritty, turn it down a little)
    Bass / Mid / Treb all set to 5. If it's bright turn down the treb, if it's muddy turn down the bass... don't over think it.
    Channel vol on 10 (it's a quiet channel when kept clean)
    Reverb to taste
    Effect set to compressor.... effect tweak set to 9:00 or 11:00...
    Set the OUTPUT LEVEL to whatever is required. It won't effect the tone at all.

You can play around with effects. Comp/Delay would be nice, tremolo is nice but you lose the comp, etc... etc...

Not on the POD 2. I think the next version (XT) could do it, and I know the X3 and later could certainly do it.

15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I echo the suggestion of trying the blackface #1 (deluxe reverb) and #2 (twin reverb) models, don't be afraid of the compression effect but go easy on the reverb, etc...but in your 1:59-2:09 segment of the video, I would suggest trying the Jazz Clean model with the gain and mids up somewhat and the bass cut...also with a fair amount of compression...and I've also gotten good clean-ish sounds using the Brit Classic (50-watt Marshall Plexi) with the mids and highs up and the bass down, gain low, and the Mesa Rectifier model with the gain low. On stuff where the model is of an amp with passive EQ, it always sounds better--ballsier--to me with the mids set pretty high and the lows and highs tailored to taste. YMMV, but I usually dislike baked-in scooped EQ in amps and find myself running the mids most of the way wide open and the bass cut somewhat. And I like the compression on the Pod 2.0 1/2-3/4 of the way up. I am a fairly heavy-handed player, and I tend to balance that with using my porky hands to mute lightly on a lot of notes, rakes, etc. so take that into account if you tend to pick lightly and use less hand meat in shaping your notes. You might find your own EQ and compression needs to be different than mine.

That Jazz Clean model can be coaxed into some pretty interesting sounds...cranking it up with the settings I described can give lots of sustain, lots of bite, clipping that seems to be focused on the upper frequencies while the lows seem pretty clean. Not a natural sound, necessarily, but a fun one to play with. If I have any complaint with that model, it's that I can't tame the lows and extreme highs as much as I'd like.

Also keep in mind that you can activate a presence boost on those models, which is a whole different range of EQ settings to experiment with. I think you hold the manual or save button down while turning the high EQ knob to do that...it's been awhile, but it's in the manual.

16. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I finally gave up trying to get a full clean sound out of my POD 2.0. Regardless of how I amped or eq'ed it it was always a bit grainy and harsh. That was the state of digital conversion and anti-aliasing filters of that period. The Fender Twin model was the cleanest although not the most pleasing and it lacked gain ("gain" is not the same as "distortion" although these days people tend to think of them as the same). In church I finally went back to my Princeton.
    The POD was the most frustrating piece of gear I ever owned. For good clean recording and playing out the Yamaha DG-Stomp was far superior for that era, although limited feature-wise.

17. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Wow, thank you for all of the responses. I will have to try some of the settings. Until I get more funds, this and a 20 watt solid-state amplifier by a company named Meteoro is all that I have. Actually, it has a line out that I could use and put a plug in the headphone jack as well so that the sound is muted seeing as they want to go ampless for the guitar. But, that's another story altogether. :D

18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I forgot a few details in my post above...the one where I carried on about the Jazz Clean model. I use the Pod as a preamp, running into the FX return or power amp "in" jack of a Peavey Special 150 combo or TKO 115 combo, or (a few times) a Peavey M-3000 mono power amp and borrowed Marshall 1960 4 x 12 cabinet. Since I am amplifying the Pod through actual guitar speakers, I switch the
    A.I.R. switch off so I'm not piling Line 6 speaker emulation on top of guitar speaker frequency response limitations...and I select "no cabinet" on the cabinet emulation selector. Another level of YMMV, since you're trying to use it ampless.

On the few occasions where I was running it through PA speakers, I seemed to like the Line 6 1 x 12 and Line 6 2 x 12 cabinet models the most. To me they sounded more transparent, which was a step in the right direction for my setup.

I was running a Squire Strat with a single bridge humbucker, which might not be most people's idea of the hot setup for clean sounds...but I have found that it sounds pretty good--full and round without sacrificing brightness--with the pickup lowered a bit, front-end gain levels kept pretty modest and careful attention to where/how I pick. (One of the things I like about this guitar is, if I pick gently near the base of the neck while using clean-ish tones, the sound is not unlike that of a real old lap steel that I have. Compound bend-and-release moves sound great like that. Loud, full-sounding pickup near the bridge, light touch, etc.) Hopefully this info will inspire you to try some new settings, rather than say to yourself "This guy is nuts; disregard!"

19. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

I was looking at the Tech 21 website today at a pedal/preamp called the NYC Blonde, which is designed to emulate or reproduce Fender tweed and also some Blackface amp tones. I'll bet this tool would be excellent for getting a clean warm sound.

20. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Yes, I would like to get one of those. Joyo makes a copy but I'm not sure if I can do it ethically, but boy, for $40 it sure is tempting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.