1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with Fender mustang player bass PJ

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by dayman, Feb 26, 2021.

1. dayman

dayman TDPRI Member

Hello,

I am a guitar player who plays in a band currently and am looking to get into bass for recording purposes as well as to become a better well-rounded musician. I might play bass in the band but i also sing and have sort of a “front man thing” going on. For that reason i am thinking about a shorter scale length because i jump around a lot. I’m seeing great reviews for the fender mustang bass PJ and i love the “aged natural” finish. Do you think this would be a good beginners bass?

I also have a question. Does anyone know the difference between the “fender mustang player bass PJ” and the “Fender Specal Edition Mustang PJ Bass” on Sweetwater? Same guitar? I will provide links to both. Thank you!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MustBPPJAN--fender-player-mustang-bass-pj-aged-natural

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-exclusive-buttercream-with-maple-fingerboard

2. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

DSCN1604 (2).JPG Specs say to me same Guitar, just different Finish and Neck. Natural one (which I love) might be 2 piece Body, where the Painted one could be 3-4 piece. Plus Pau Ferro and Rosewood are more costly. I haven't played Bass in 45 years, so I am building a P Bass with a 30" Scale Rosewood Neck. Will post pics when done. Unfinised Tele shape Chambered Body with F-Hole. Cherry Red Nitro waiting till Wed. Did a full scale one for my Brothers 70th BD. Butterscotch Blond is his (damn)!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Postalflunkie and Killing Floor like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 TDPRI Member

The aged natural one specifically says alder body, not sure about the cream one. I like the cream and maple board better and there probably isn't much of a noticeable difference between the two. As a guitarist you might like the shorter scale. Both seem like good options.

Killing Floor likes this.
  4. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Mustangs are the same, the special edition is a color only Sweetwater sells and has a special edition sticker. The other bigger places have other special edition colors. I like Maple boards so got the Buttercream and it's nice looking. I really like the Mustangs, they are a small but serious bass.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I’m not selling you on either. But they are both cool. The surf green and buttercream are both awesome.

I think “special edition “ refers to a Sweetwater special color. So basically it’s a color that isn’t available elsewhere this year.

An example is they have a special edition Champ with a Ragin Cajun speaker in tweed. They are such a big buyer they get programs from some vendors.

oh, your question, surely they are the same because the special is the Player price.

I don’t think the body would be any different, but if it was it wouldn’t be easy to tell apart. Maple or pao fingerboard is a preference.

Have fun.

And edit to say short scales are fun. They sound great and are easy to learn on. A P Bass is 34” because Leo said so, not because of any metric.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got one of the Special Edition ones. It's nice. It's more than adequate for a beginner; it'll last you a lifetime. My only thing is the pickups are decent, but not great. The low E can seem a bit floppy, which is because of the 30" scale.

[​IMG]

7. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

I've got a new one in goldmist (a stock colour as far as I know). Got it new on Amazon Jan 1 this year. I've got a Ric 4003, Hofner 500/1, Sting, VM Tele bass, and a Bronco that I modded.
    I wouldn't change a thing about the Mustang PJ. I'm not a fan of J PUPs but the bridge isn't overpowering like the Ric can be. Love the Precision PUP in it and yes, do mix in the J to suit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.