1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help with computer purchase

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by hnryclay, Dec 14, 2020.

1. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'll just echo a few key points that in my experience will make your recording process and recording experience more efficient, reliable and enjoyable regardless of your machine ...

SSD drive(s).
    Get as much RAM as you can afford.
    Quad core i7 (or better).
    Always back up to a high quality external hard drive
    *Keep whatever machine you use dedicated to recording. Don't muck it up with movies, games and general crap. If at all possible, other than for activating licenses and such, keep it off the network. Anti malware software can bog everything down, especially if you're not on an over spec'd rig.

** If you don't already have an interface I would personally go for one that is at least a couple steps above the absolute cheapest. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has (2) decent preamps built in.

Have fun!

SbS, hnryclay, SRHmusic and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Nearly anything will work these days, but I would recommend at least 16GB of RAM. I have a 10 year old MacBook Pro that handles 16 simultaneous recording tracks to Logic Pro just fine. My son is doing some recording to garage band on a Macbook air, 8GB seems to be getting him by recording only a few tracks at a time.

hnryclay and telestratosonic like this.
  3. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Actually, nobody mentioned Linux at all in this thread. Impressive.

Maybe because OP asked about computers not operating systems, though any given Apple hardware kinda goes without saying...

hnryclay likes this.
  4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Well, if you want to use GrangeBand, then a Mac is indeed called for.

hnryclay likes this.
  5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think the new M1 chips in Apple computers are such a step up a lot of Mac minis from industry will soon be upgraded and there should be a lot of cheap ones on the market

hnryclay likes this.
  6. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

First, thank you all for advice, and patience. Here is what I purchased;

Dell OptiPlex 9020-SFF, Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHZ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Solid State, DVDRW, Windows 10 Pro 64bit (Renewed)

M-Audio AIR 192|4 — 2-In/2-Out USB Audio Interface with Recording Software from ProTools & Ableton Live, Plus Studio-Grade FX & Virtual Instruments

Hopefully these will allow me to get a start at recording. I will be adding mics, stands, etc in time once I get things figured out.

Thanks again really the best site on the internet.

beagle and suthol like this.
  7. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Where have I been? I just bought a new 8th Gen IPad solely for recording with Garageband.

I'm definitely going to check out the MacMini.
    Thanks.

8. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think you'll be very pleased with what the new Mac minis offer. They are very compact, powerful, versatile, and you can drive pretty much any display you wish to go with, from small and inexpensive to large and super advanced. Having the display and the computer as separate units gives you tremendous flexibility and versatility.

Apple keeps promoting how you can "do everything" you once did on a computer, on the new iPads. I just laugh. That's a stretch too far for my money.

iPads are awesome in their realm: for consuming media, surfing, and email. They can do more, but then it rapidly becomes increasingly awkward to push the boundaries of the interface.

When it comes to doing highly interactive work like photo editing, video editing, multi track recording, spreadsheet work... I'm sorry, pads & tablets just don't get it for me. :rolleyes:

telestratosonic likes this.
  9. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

I'm late to the party but GarageBand is awesome! We recorded more than 18 tracks using a 2nd generation Mac Mini.
    Most of the album was mixed in Logic, but THIS TRACK was recorded and mixed in GB.

10. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

That 4th gen i5 is pretty old, I had an i7-4750, 12gb ram and it definitely had limitations with a few vsti and plugins, I would imagine the i5 fares worse.

M

hnryclay likes this.
  11. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

It's a start at a very small cost. If I get into recording I plan on buying an Imac. However with the money I saved on this, I was able to purchase a few mikes as well.

trev333 likes this.
  12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a similar ex gov 9020 in tower form a few months back.... I needed a spare pc with w10 to make the progression from my w7 machine running the same chips/ram....

it should give you a start into recording....:)

hnryclay likes this.
  13. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

My PC is i5 4670 3.4GHz with 8GB of RAM and it has coped fine so far.

I haven't gone above 32 tracks yet but the Sonivox Orchestral Companion and the Drumica plugins are pretty huge and it copes fine with them, the laptop with a lower spec i5 processor really struggles with the big VSTi plugins

hnryclay likes this.
  14. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

How come I never hear about people using Chromebooks to run DAWs?

15. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

16. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

So everything came in and it does indeed work. Recorded 4 tracks in a 1:30 test song in Reaper. Really happy with how it came together. Now I just have to learn to use a DAW. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in!! 20201219_175225.jpg

klasaine, Mouth, sad99 and 2 others like this.
  17. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

I have that same Dell PC and I set another one up for a friend of mine to use as his recording PC. I got them both for about $200 a piece. My buddy uses Cubase with his and he has no issues. He records multiple tracks at the same time and it works flawlessly. He doesn't use a lot of plugins so that might change things. When I set these computers up I installed a 2nd hard drive. You can buy a hard drive dock which fits into the DVD tray. The hdd caddy is something like this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Neuftech®-Ada...ocphy=9000702&hvtargid=pla-492843593890&psc=1

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.