Help with Brad Paisley Solo

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by fenderbender4, Mar 17, 2020.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Been trying to learn chicken picking and picking things up by ear. I'm having a terrible time though with Brad Paisley's solo to "I'll take you back". I'm having trouble figuring out the lick that he uses to ascend up the neck. Starts shortly after the 2:16 mark. I feel like I've heard a similar pattern in a few of his other solos and figured this would be a nifty trick to have.

Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks!

2. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Pick fast?

OldDude2 likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

He's playing groups of five there. Sounds like the first four notes of each group are identical to the preceding group--with the exception of the 5th note--which ascends with each successive group of five.

Slow the vid playback down to .5 speed and give it a listen...it's easier to hear that way. The vocals at .5 speed sound like early Pink Floyd stuff!

Greg Koch uses this same device a lot in his playing.

4. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Ccc

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Brad is the master of deception, what comes across as very difficult in many cases is built on simplicity and execution. He doesn't follow traditional rules. He pulls open notes which are not even part of the KEYS/Scales he is in. While I didn't study this particular piece, you can hear the various open string PULL OFF'S throughout. He is a master at this.

What may appear to be UP the fretboard may very well be across the fretboard coming back. Also remember that Brad is a G Puller so much of what he does, intervals wise is based on his "HOME" positions allowing the G to be pulled or released. Whether he uses it or not. I suspect he is always thinking in the G pulling mode while many of us are thinking B Pulling or NO pulling at all. His auto and root positions differ.

Many times I ( and many others) have suggested we study chord and scale forms, RE: 1,II and III from the most basic Mel Bay study series. Many of the things we do cross thru those 3 forms , if we are aware its good, if we are not aware not so good ! We can identify these movements in many of our favorite players, Brent, Brad, Felder, etc... " ok he's in A, ok he's still in A, oh man , he's still in A !. When those players ascend up or across the fretboard we should be able to visualize what they are doing position-wise . Its hard work but pays off.

As mentioned above, also, Brad plays in rudiments and timing, his pieces are small timed groups put together in syncopation. . Its brilliant . The timing of each section is critical. IF one is off, the whole thing is off.

I recently re-visited the MUD solo after playing it hog wash style for a long time . The net is full of players saying "do it this way" but in many cases they are incorrect because they are approaching it as Brad would with a G puller and the intervals he is familiar with, if we have a B Puller , or NO puller, some of the phrasing is in a different location. The NOTES are the same but in a different place. Then add that many times when Brad palys, he does something just a little bit different.

I spent the better part of a month, daily, working on the Mud phrases, to the point that my wife yelled at me , " You got it down now please play something else already " ! Geesh !!! and yeah we started playing this in the clubs again, not perfect but more perfect than before ! :eek: Its still not easy.

Hey Brad, if you are reading , relax a little !

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    fenderbender4 and nicknklv like this.
  6. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

7. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Perfect timing! I read your post and some of the tricky parts (like those ascending pull-offs in measure 25) are exactly like you said. I was having a hard time hearing what he was doing as it seemed to go by so fast and if I slowed it down too much, the audio seemed too jumbled. Thanks so much!

T Prior and daves561 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.